MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

Hellebores, daffodils, echium,  tree lucerne, and gorse.

Wattles, red and white gum, gorse and hawthorn down here. Pollen going crazy 😜 

On 30/05/2019 at 11:17 AM, GoED said:

It smells heavenly!

Sounds like I can take them now in this coastal situation. Apparently they grow from seed too...I’d try now. I myself will hopefully try to rip from a branch so I get a heel, or strip off some leaves near to the cut end so this area also gets rooting hormone on it, and I might try to clip a T shape at the soil end, Ill stuff those in a pot with soil stick that in a large zip lock bag and put it on a sunny window ledge. If they don’t strike I will try in spring again and again in autumn.  I have cobbled together a portable greenhouse in a clear storage box which moves around the front yard snatching sunlight. Ever optimistic, winter propagation thats asking for a lot of luck 😉

@kaihoka If i get some to strike I’ll send you a seedling/s via messaging and NZpost in spring. 👍

Nope, none of those heal cuttings taken on May 30 put out roots. I’ll try again now the Luculia as stopped flowering. The owner of the tree was fine about me doing it, if not I’m off to Palmers GC. 

7 hours ago, GoED said:

Nope, none of those heal cuttings taken on May 30 put out roots. I’ll try again now the Luculia as stopped flowering. The owner of the tree was fine about me doing it, if not I’m off to Palmers GC. 

There must be a way to do it .

Bottom heat under mist of greenwood summer cuttings I think .

Good idea. I get the hort heating pad out. 

something in the potting mix used on the capsicum seedlings has become very attractive

20191028_163404-1.thumb.jpg.26e6c2b240af5b2723eef2e5716a6e76.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see the Bush Lawyer is flowering so expect to see some bees on it when we get a fine day and I do not know when that will be.

Go East young man!

7 hours ago, Bighands said:

I see the Bush Lawyer is flowering so expect to see some bees on it when we get a fine day and I do not know when that will be.

Bush lawyer flowering here to, Quintinea flowering well also and today i see some young Kamahi trees flowering, with some larger trees budding up. Fuchsia all finished. Looking in diary and is same timing as last year. So about 28th boxes should go on for Kamahi which last year was all finished 30th Dec.

Manuka flowering here, I actually saw a bee on one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Bush lawyer flowering here to, Quintinea flowering well also and today i see some young Kamahi trees flowering, with some larger trees budding up. Fuchsia all finished. Looking in diary and is same timing as last year. So about 28th boxes should go on for Kamahi which last year was all finished 30th Dec.

Quintinia still in bud form in the valley,no flower yet,fuschia still flowering and I saw some clematis in flower.

28 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Quintinia still in bud form in the valley,no flower yet,fuschia still flowering and I saw some clematis in flower.

Quintinia been in full flower for at least a week and clematis for three weeks. Must be a bit warmer here. Though lookin at the 10 day forecast it dosnt look like bees will be getting out much. Will have to check see what they got stashed away.

I was down the local garden shop today and they had some amazing manuka plants in full flower. I assume they are some sort of Australian hybrid and they come in a multitude of colours with flowers close to a centimetre acrooss. They were covered in bees.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Quintinia been in full flower for at least a week and clematis for three weeks. Must be a bit warmer here. Though lookin at the 10 day forecast it dosnt look like bees will be getting out much. Will have to check see what they got stashed away.

A lot warmer. I live very close to the mountains and the season looks similar,time wise, to what I remember years ago.

16 hours ago, john berry said:

I was down the local garden shop today and they had some amazing manuka plants in full flower

dont tell watsons. they might dump 100 hives on the boundary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Manuka flowering well at the Hamilton Gardens.

We saw 1 lonely bee on these (ornamental) flowers.

467D1A85-F94E-4D57-87E9-7B868B58A8D4.jpeg

Edited by dansar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dansar said:

Manuka flowering well at the Hamilton Gardens.

We saw 1 lonely bee on these (ornamental) flowers.

467D1A85-F94E-4D57-87E9-7B868B58A8D4.jpeg

Ha, we were there a week ago .

The gardens look amazing these days I reckon . Well worth a look 

• Agree 1

Today’s inspection of hives at Waihi we’re good. Rewarewa flowers and a frame of tasty Rewarewa Honey 😋 🍯 
2 weeks of settled weather and the bees have decided it’s time to make honey while the sun shines!

48E75D7A-79D1-40D3-B4D6-823BE789BEEE.thumb.jpeg.dc862f28c99351543aa7f362e98824a5.jpeg

1E71C80C-707E-4800-B860-BA1D9B3C0072.thumb.jpeg.4ce892ef175cbcb399d5a17e305cd29e.jpeg

• Like 7

The bees don’t like my hanging basket

8512F770-1D9B-4F3C-AC8A-3301B616FB54.jpeg

• Like 2

It’s probably the smell of the coffee coming out of the smoko room. 🙀

Yeah nah ..... I think it's better than that ....

I have to agree it’s a very nice looking basket. Maybe your gale force winds and thunder storms are keeping the bees indoors.  We’ve had great flying wx here for weeks as noted by the huge swarms flying past every day. Going to have a lot of feral bees around here. 🤢

1 hour ago, Oma said:

huge swarms flying past

@Philbee’s? 😲

No, resident commercial 500mt from my hives.

• Like 1