Jump to content

What are bees foraging on at present


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

Blimen Heck.  I am at 9235.  I am not going to become a queen. It may be the fashionable thing now days,  But !!!!

Posted Images

On 30/05/2019 at 11:17 AM, GoED said:

It smells heavenly!

Sounds like I can take them now in this coastal situation. Apparently they grow from seed too...I’d try now. I myself will hopefully try to rip from a branch so I get a heel, or strip off some leaves near to the cut end so this area also gets rooting hormone on it, and I might try to clip a T shape at the soil end, Ill stuff those in a pot with soil stick that in a large zip lock bag and put it on a sunny window ledge. If they don’t strike I will try in spring again and again in autumn.  I have cobbled together a portable greenhouse in a clear storage box which moves around the front yard snatching sunlight. Ever optimistic, winter propagation thats asking for a lot of luck 😉

 

 @kaihoka If i get some to strike I’ll send you a seedling/s via messaging and NZpost in spring. 👍

Nope, none of those heal cuttings taken on May 30 put out roots. I’ll try again now the Luculia as stopped flowering. The owner of the tree was fine about me doing it, if not I’m off to Palmers GC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GoED said:

Nope, none of those heal cuttings taken on May 30 put out roots. I’ll try again now the Luculia as stopped flowering. The owner of the tree was fine about me doing it, if not I’m off to Palmers GC. 

There must be a way to do it .

Bottom heat under mist of greenwood summer cuttings I think .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bighands said:

I see the Bush Lawyer is flowering so expect to see some bees on it when we get a fine day and I do not know when that will be.

Bush lawyer flowering here to, Quintinea flowering well also and today i see some young Kamahi trees flowering, with some larger trees budding up. Fuchsia all finished. Looking in diary and is same timing as last year. So about 28th boxes should go on for Kamahi which last year was all finished 30th Dec.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Bush lawyer flowering here to, Quintinea flowering well also and today i see some young Kamahi trees flowering, with some larger trees budding up. Fuchsia all finished. Looking in diary and is same timing as last year. So about 28th boxes should go on for Kamahi which last year was all finished 30th Dec.

Quintinia still in bud form in the valley,no flower yet,fuschia still flowering and I saw some clematis in flower.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Quintinia still in bud form in the valley,no flower yet,fuschia still flowering and I saw some clematis in flower.

Quintinia been in full flower for at least a week and clematis for three weeks. Must be a bit warmer here. Though lookin at the 10 day forecast it dosnt look like bees will be getting out much. Will have to check see what they got stashed away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Quintinia been in full flower for at least a week and clematis for three weeks. Must be a bit warmer here. Though lookin at the 10 day forecast it dosnt look like bees will be getting out much. Will have to check see what they got stashed away.

A lot warmer. I live very close to the mountains and the season looks similar,time wise, to what I remember years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dansar said:

Manuka flowering well at the Hamilton Gardens.

We saw 1 lonely bee on these (ornamental) flowers.

 

467D1A85-F94E-4D57-87E9-7B868B58A8D4.jpeg

Ha, we were there a week ago .

The gardens look amazing these days I reckon . Well worth a look 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to agree it’s a very nice looking basket. Maybe your gale force winds and thunder storms are keeping the bees indoors.  We’ve had great flying wx here for weeks as noted by the huge swarms flying past every day. Going to have a lot of feral bees around here. 🤢

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 1st time in many years the Westland quintinia has not flowered and I do not think the Kamahi is going to do itys thing.I am talking about the Otira valley.The Kamahi is flowering in the Taramakau but not the Otira so chances of a S. Rata showing are very slim. Bye the way it is still raining and temps are forecast low teens.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...