Jump to content
MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

Recommended Posts

Please, lets return to what the bees are foraging on at present!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailabee said:

Please, lets return to what the bees are foraging on at present!

Certainly. Mine are not. It's dark and it's raining. What are yours foraging on at present ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailabee said:

Please, lets return to what the bees are foraging on at present!

Catsear😊, in the daylight , but clearly that’s not enough since it does not take much to encourage robbing behaviour 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yesbut said:

Certainly. Mine are not. It's dark and it's raining. What are yours foraging on at present ?

Mainly crunchy brown stuff, hoping the light rain will green it all up. Even the clover browned off before any nectar produced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Catsear😊, in the daylight , but clearly that’s not enough since it does not take much to encourage robbing behaviour 

Big pseudopanax flowering here .

Thats if it ever stopped raining and the bees could get to it .

Can't believe I ever complained about the drought.

I miss it already .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kaihoka said:

Big pseudopanax flowering here .

Thats if it ever stopped raining and the bees could get to it .

Can't believe I ever complained about the drought.

I miss it already .

Ours are flowering well too 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I harvested a frame of honey from a rural hive on Friday and now have honey envy.

It was a golden colour, very thick, but not jellylike, toffee flavour with an aftertaste of lemon. Does anyone have an idea what it could have come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YesButt’s favorite!

9FC7F068-CCD4-411C-A2AE-2123E2D9EF17.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jamesc what is the honey in the overflow comb .?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc what is the honey in the overflow comb .?

 

Beech Honeydew is my pick 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2019 at 7:13 AM, jamesc said:

YesButt’s favorite!

9FC7F068-CCD4-411C-A2AE-2123E2D9EF17.jpeg

oh boy... what the ... have they done now?!

 

...thats what my brain would think if i found comb like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was hot and the bees were all over the Mexican Pepper tree (Schinus molle).

Never seen that before.

 

pepper-tree-IMG_20190313_091016.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tudor said:

Yesterday was hot and the bees were all over the Mexican Pepper tree (Schinus molle).

Never seen that before.

 

pepper-tree-IMG_20190313_091016.jpg

What do you think they are after .

Occasionally I see bees all over a tree which appears to have nothing of interest for them .

Someone suggested propolis .

Look at your lovely blue sky .

We have seen very little of that in nelson area since last thursday when the drought broke .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No rain in Hauraki and parts of western BoP since that small dump last week. Plenty of domestic garden flowers. Light beige pollen and cadmium orange pollen coming in the hive entrances today. Humid 26-28 degrees cooler overnight.

Looking forward to some rain on this coastal sandy loam so I don’t lose my new plant slips. Flowering -daisies, squash, ornamental convuvulus, cats ear, lambs ear, begonia, fuchsia, rose rugosa, dahlia, crimson clover 2nd time, pelargonium, sage, ornamental roses, lantana (good for bees not for  council reserve), cape gooseberry, nightshades, asters, cannas. Agapanthus are winding down. The place is alive with white cabbage butterflies so every brassica on the property has lacy leaves. The garden is going wild and I’m determined to ignor the autumn garden jobs until I finish the pollen colour chart I’m still working on. Bit of the a challenge to stay inside and work when the kikuyu quickly makes its way from the reserve towards our boundaries. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

What do you think they are after .

Occasionally I see bees all over a tree which appears to have nothing of interest for them .

Someone suggested propolis .

Look at your lovely blue sky .

We have seen very little of that in nelson area since last thursday when the drought broke .

The weather has been beautiful - by brother and his wife, who last visited here from South Africa 30 years ago and nearly died of frost bite at this time of the year, had no cold or rain. We headed down to Milford Sound - perfect - the Curio Bay - perfect - stayed in Little Black Barn - perfect - and sent them off after 8 days.

Had a little rain last night, and today opened 3 hives all stuffed with honey and with well developed brood nests for autumn/winter, and 5 boxes due to come off in the next few days.

A good year thus far, seven more hives to check this weekend.  

 

 

milford-waterfallP1000711.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tudor we went down south to queenstown and fiordland area a couple of weeks ago and we had weather like this too.WP_20190301_14_32_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.acc08de782453cae50886a12c9bdec05.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@tudor we went down south to queenstown and fiordland area a couple of weeks ago and we had weather like this too.

 

Beautiful.

I do love the way Mount Alfred sits tucked in at the top of the lake between the Dart and Rees rivers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tudor said:

 

Beautiful.

I do love the way Mount Alfred sits tucked in at the top of the lake between the Dart and Rees rivers.

 

We drove into paradise and walked a bit up the track .

The car load of tourists behind us got all the way through the fords but got beaten back into the car by the sandflies .  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, a good source of amusement was to go to the Blue pools on the Haast road and put on a good layer of DEET and walk in the few hundred meters to look into the pools and see the big trout cruising - and then watch the sand flies hold their fire until the tourists were as far as possible from their cars, and then give them both barrels !  And  watch them trying to cross the swing bridge en masse.  Ah, those were the days.  :14_relaxed:

Edited by tudor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tudor said:

Yes, a good source of amusement was to go to the Blue pools on the Haast road and put on a good layer of DEET and walk in the few hundred meters to look into the pools and see the big trout cruising - and then watch the sand flies hold their fire until the tourists were as far as possible from their cars, and then give them both barrels !  And  watch them trying to cross the swing bridge en masse.  Ah, those were the days.  :14_relaxed:

There were hardly any sandflies when we were at those blue pools .

There were people swimming in the pools and sun bathing on the bank .

Our son went swimming but not our  grandson,  he thought his father was mad.

I stood at beginning of bridge and counted .2142019193515.thumb.jpg.eb44f454521d7053ff27ea5368a49cea.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2019 at 6:46 PM, black bee said:

koromiko :99_muscle:

@black bee do the bees gather just nectar from Koromiko or also pollen?

If they do gather pollen now in late March, did you see what colour it is in their pollen baskets?

What colour is Koromiko honey?

Do the bees work the Koromiko in the Winter too in Coromandel? 

 

Any help appreciated.....😊

 

I’m painting a pollen colour chart and the only book on NZ native plants useful to bees is Walsh, R.S, ‘Pollen and Nectar sources of New Zealand’.  Walsh says Koromiko yields pollen until early March only...is this true for your locality?   .....he says the pollen is ‘light buff’ in colour in observations for Koromiko, Hebe stricta

Our Tanners Point bees very busy bringing in stores -observed en mass out on weeping willow and young (green, not yet wine coloured)  female five finger flowers gathering nectar yesterday.

Walsh says Napuka flowers September-late January...any variations on that....I’m sure I remember ours flowering in late Winter, August, in Puhoi, before we moved back to BoP....

 

When does the Napuka flower?     purple hebe, Hebe speciosa 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoED said:

When does the Napuka flower?     purple hebe, Hebe speciosa 

All the time it seems .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koromiko causes the gut line in bee pupae to change from the normal yellowish to purple. In large quantities it can make the whole pupa purple and the capped brood will look very dark, a bit like the early stages of AFB. Very occasionally I have seen cause mortality and this has been recorded by other people as well. I think overall it does a lot more good than harm. I saw a lot of discoloured brood in late February this year but no mortality. My brother and I named the condition purple death after a wine that was popular when we were young (not with us).

  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bees all over ivy and rosemary. Still plenty of fresh nectar in the hives. Debating whether to leave them an empty super.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...