MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

We've been back on the coast.

This morning  I got up real early and cruised down to look at some of the hives we had pulled honey off a week ago. They were very light on stores in the brood and we had left them with two frames of honey to keep them ticking along.  We  had pulled three boxes off them and placed a box of foundation above the queen excluder to give the bees a place to congregate.

I was very happy with what I saw ...... another box of of honey. No reason to panic so they can wait it out for the late Rata flow. yeah right !.

Not late at all.IF the Rata was going to flower this pr even a little later is the time it would be showing.As I earlier last year was exceptiomaly early

• Agree 1

Ah there you are Big Hands ..... I'm pretty sure you are right ..... but the way the weather and seasons are we'll wait and see ..... happy heavy bees can stay put for a week or too.

No rush for the Dew bro.

As an aside I got offered $6/kg for the dew yesterday. Could I wait til the end of the year as the purchaser had no funds at present.What that tells me is that white honey should be worth a litttle bit more .....

I sold a pot of dew at the VTNZ testing station last Saturday $5 bucks as it had a tattered label. The truckie came back with ten bucks. Nice.  The following day  I sold a tonne of rata for $10 bucks a kilo......   which is why we are back on the Speights again.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

That’s really good news @jamesc those prices aren’t too bad either :) 

anyone else been able to sell honey ?

dont need prices or any info just be good to know if honey is moving 

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Ah there you are Big Hands ..... I'm pretty sure you are right ..... but the way the weather and seasons are we'll wait and see ..... happy heavy bees can stay put for a week or too.

No rush for the Dew bro.

As an aside I got offered $6/kg for the dew yesterday. Could I wait til the end of the year as the purchaser had no funds at present.What that tells me is that white honey should be worth a litttle bit more .....

I sold a pot of dew at the VTNZ testing station last Saturday $5 bucks as it had a tattered label. The truckie came back with ten bucks. Nice.  The following day  I sold a tonne of rata for $10 bucks a kilo......   which is why we are back on the Speights again.

Good that rata is being valued at $10.

What had the coast bees filled up on earlier , kamahi .

The wind has dropped and my bees are finally collecting . 

It tastes like manuka or kanuka .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Good that rata is being valued at $10.

What had the coast bees filled up on earlier , kamahi .

The wind has dropped and my bees are finally collecting . 

It tastes like manuka or kanuka .

the bee had gathered kamahi ..... and now are on ..... not sure..... penny royal, lotus sativa or maybe clover. One thing is or sure, they are not on the raw sugar

• Like 2

Just back from 10 days drifting around west coat from Port Waikato down to Wanganui. Lots of light manuka flowering all the way. Saw more beek outfits on the road than hives but did notice a heap of hives up Rotorangi amongst the manuka....

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Just back from 10 days drifting around west coat from Port Waikato down to Wanganui. Lots of light manuka flowering all the way. Saw more beek outfits on the road than hives but did notice a heap of hives up Rotorangi amongst the manuka....

One of the jars of honey you gave me has been sitting in the tunnel house untill it liquified.

It has lots of bubbles and tastes like manuka / kanuka 

14 hours ago, yesbut said:

I’ve noticed the same around Canterbury. I think people are weary after all the reported thefts and vandalism. 

Shame, I used to enjoy a nosy Beek. 

Here is a picture of flowering and juvenile Tawari for @Philbee . Not the best picture sorry but was quite busy at the time. Starts flowering late Nov and finished just after new year. 

Screenshot_20190118-213312.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jamo we do not have these growing naturally here .

I should plant some .

Are they a slow growing native ?

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you know of any growing in the nelson area .

No. I'd stick to tagasaste if I were you

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

No. I'd stick to tagasaste if I were you

Very hard to grow here .

It hates clay and pigeons really love it .

I planted 50   and they got the lot,  the Moment they got over a metre the pigeons found them and ate them to death .

The same thing happpens with kowhai. 

• Agree 1

I was quite surprised to see this Rhodi flowering today.

2F199494-079C-47DD-91F2-7BC0DE08E323.jpeg

• Confused 1

Both .... they normally flower in October through November .....  but then the whole planets gone crazy.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Both .... they normally flower in October through November .....  but then the whole planets gone crazy.

My whole bed of onions have done this , flower at the wrong time , very annoying .

Maybe the Rata will do likewise ?

• Haha 1

As I have said before last year the Rata was exceptionally early.Normally it would be appearing now or a little later if at all.Very rarely do we get Rata flowering 2 years in a row.

I’m sure your right Bighands..... but we live in strange times

Koromiko is flowering here.

I hope it stays the distance and flowers till March/April as usual

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Manuka is done and dusted in this spot...so we’ll head home, by pass the Rata and relocate to the clover and Nodding Thistle.

just wish there was room for this beauty of a rock. 

489677D7-0D4D-4B34-AEAA-347625D94994.jpeg

• Like 1