MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

8 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Probably not if you get $4kg and say 15 kgs of honey from one 3/4 box = $60 per box take off all your costs and what have you got left ?

Let's not take off the 15 kg @ $4./kg and then take off all your cost and you have an even bigger hole in the balance sheet.

Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Let's not take off the 15 kg @ $4./kg and then take off all your cost and you have an even bigger hole in the balance sheet.

Possibly not if you are paying another company to extract - just as well there is not a deduction of a levy to also factor in.

45 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Probably not if you get $4kg and say 15 kgs of honey from one 3/4 box = $60 per box take off all your costs and what have you got left ?

Well ..... it's sixty dollars more than I had in the morning. I have lowered my sights and thinking like a peasant now. I anticipate to have over 100 tonnes of honey in the shed by the end of february, so evan at 4 bucks a kilo ..... it will keep a lot of grumbling people happy.

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I anticipate to have over 100 tonnes of honey in the shed by the end of february, so evan at 4 bucks a kilo ..... it will keep a lot of grumbling people happy.

Not if it stays in the shed.

1 minute ago, Hector Wong said:

Not if it stays in the shed.

New  Kiwi proverb ....."  Better to have a full drum in the shed than an empty one."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

New  Kiwi proverb ....."  Better to have a full drum in the shed than an empty one."

Can't argue with that.

• Sad 1

On 5/01/2019 at 7:34 PM, Philbee said:

Today (next day) 37.4kg

Clover is pumping

Today 6th 7.30pm 38kg

This little swarm is still filling out its bottom box and hasnt started to draw out its top box of bare plastic frames

On the 30th /12 it was 33.4kg

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Extraction per box is around $15 so your $60 is now $45 take out the 10c kg for the commodity levy now it’s $43.50 before any other costs come out of it.

If you are paying a landowner you could find that you have nothing left to actually pay any of those other costs 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Extraction per box is around $15 so your $60 is now $45 take out the 10c kg for the commodity levy now it’s $43.50 before any other costs come out of it.

If you are paying a landowner you could find that you have nothing left to actually pay any of those other costs 

Extraction charges are a rip off ....IMHO ..... unless of course you are the one charging that out.

So we put a run of 200 boxes through the plant in a day . $3000. 

Two labour units at $19/hr - $304

Electricity   .... no idea on daily power use  but the monthly bill for workshop and extracting room is in the region of $400 

The plant is now written off on the books, except for the new Lyson extractor that cost a bit over 4k .....

Say we put 4000 boxes through in a year .....  I'm sure it's not as simple as that but .....it sure as heck did'nt cost me 60 k to do it ?                        

On 6/01/2019 at 7:39 PM, Philbee said:

Today 6th 7.30pm 38kg

This little swarm is still filling out its bottom box and hasnt started to draw out its top box of bare plastic frames

On the 30th /12 it was 33.4kg

Today another 800g

Its a small hive on clover so its easy to see a strong single doing 2kg + a day on Clover

• Like 1

Just now, Philbee said:

Today another 800g

Its a small hive on clover so its easy to see a strong single doing 2kg + a day on Clover

makes sense, i've had 3/4 boxes drawn and filled in a week = a couple of kg a day plus. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have experienced massive honey accumulation in NZ. I'm soon to get back to some hives that each got three extra boxes not all that long ago, hopefully they've not run out of space.

21 hours ago, Philbee said:

Today another 800g

Today 39.3 

This is plus 1.3kg for 24 hours

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Today 39.3 

This is plus 1.3kg for 24 hours

Heavy sudden mite influx...? ?

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 5

Chaos on the coast. Bees robbing like crazy with not a skerrit of honey in the brood. We’ll monitor the situation, and either haul them back over the hill or come back with raw sugar

FA6EF00E-72BD-4FAC-97B4-AD50EF9838AE.jpeg

• Sad 6

55 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Chaos on the coast. Bees robbing like crazy with not a skerrit of honey in the brood. We’ll monitor the situation, and either haul them back over the hill or come back with raw sugar

Having all those boxes open like that can't have helped.....

We use several wetted down hessian sacks to use to cover boxes when harvesting to try and keep things partly under control.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Is there any honey to harvest in the supers?

that would stress me out having hives open like that when they are in robbing mode.

what was the target nectar source ?

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

Heavy sudden mite influx...? ?

Lol

Yup, build em up then cut them down

@jamesc I can see it becoming like that here.

If iI look in the future  I am not sure what the bush will produce .

15 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hope it all worked out okay for you guys in suits.  I have been there, lots of pin prick stings through the overalls.  Sweat shop hot and the smoker is hopeless. Always rushing to get it done and glad to be outa of there.  Maybe a bit worried about the swarms of bees drifting off the truck. 

Noticed bees in back ground got top feeders in number 3 position and a board - that a bee escape? (excluders in foreground plastic- no endearing powerleads/hoses) 

True coal face beekeeping. 

20 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Is there any honey to harvest in the supers?

that would stress me out having hives open like that when they are in robbing mode.

what was the target nectar source ?

Yep ... got a truckload of honey.... slow trip home?

0288E4D8-1AED-4138-86A0-1CA2E5D26724.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/01/2019 at 6:45 PM, jamesc said:

depends on how much you can sell an empty drum for i guess ;) sounds like there might be quite a lot of demand for empties for storage this season

nice to see a truckload of honey being loaded up.

I ran out of gear in wellington so chucked a bee escape on a hive this morning before work, don't even have an extractor in this city so i'll be crush and straining a box of honey tomorrow evening i guess. Low on buckets too, but "better to have a full bucket of honey in the kitchen than an empty one" :)

Edited by tommy dave
  • Haha 1

Yeah Gino. We tend to escape most of our honey. It's a lot more relaxing than blowing. Although the photo looks a bit chaotic, it was all very orderley ..... the bees got onto a bit of a flow by mid morning and by after lunch we were shaking new nectar out of the brood ..... Clover or Lotus Sativa I think.

We also built little four pack harvest pallets  on which we stack 20 supers  that  are a lot safer to lift than the thirty sixes. John Berry commented that he prefers to haul the boxes to the truck deck. We plonk the harvest pallet down in front of the bees and go downhill. Sixteen yo trainee covers the tops and wraps the pallet in shrink wrap. As we move down the yard we take a break and lift the pallets onto the truck with the crane.

It saved us one labour unit. The bees hardly new we were there . The sixteen yo enjoyed the experience and showed up the next morning !! 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Yeah Gino. We tend to escape most of our honey. It's a lot more relaxing than blowing. Although the photo looks a bit chaotic, it was all very orderley ..... the bees got onto a bit of a flow by mid morning and by after lunch we were shaking new nectar out of the brood ..... Clover or Lotus Sativa I think.

We also built little four pack harvest pallets  on which we stack 20 supers  that  are a lot safer to lift than the thirty sixes. John Berry commented that he prefers to haul the boxes to the truck deck. We plonk the harvest pallet down in front of the bees and go downhill. Sixteen yo trainee covers the tops and wraps the pallet in shrink wrap. As we move down the yard we take a break and lift the pallets onto the truck with the crane.

It saved us one labour unit. The bees hardly new we were there . The sixteen yo enjoyed the experience and showed up the next morning !! 

Hi James, we’re going to have to make some honey pallets this year. Do you use ply on the tops ??

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Hi James, we’re going to have to make some honey pallets this year. Do you use ply on the tops ??

OK .... Pallet making 101.    

We had some guys living on the farm here who we called the Gypsy's. They arrived years ago in a horse drawn wagon and were looking for some where to winter. They wanted to set up camp up next to the bush, but it seemed like a bit too close to home, so we gave them a paddock five k's down the road by the creek  in the willows.

Thank goodness we did.

They  camped there for almost ten years, bred kids there and lived the good life. They built a "house" out of recycled timber from the earthquake, taught us about community gardening and living on the smell of an oily rag, but as the kids grew the city life beckoned and they moved back to ChCh ...... leaving us a hole heap of s##### to clear up.

But, it's good s#####.

Building timber for Africa ..... including some massive pallets that must have cost hundreds of dollars to make. So we brought 'em home and set to with the skillsaw, jimmy bar and chain saw and cut them down into harvest pallets. Solid as. We then put our original drip trays on them which are wooden rims with a plastic insert from Stuart at Ecrotek. 

I thought of a ply base, but in this era of food safety the plastic inserts are great ,as at the end of the extracting run we just pull them out, scrape the drip honey into the 'NON EU' honey  bucket, wash them down and send them out again.  

So the drip trays just sit on the pallets. They don't move around too much on the truck as long as they are wracked down real tight, and the track 'aint too rough and rocky.

Edited by jamesc
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

we use thin ply with thick timber underneath.

seen some made out of thick ply on its own, not good way to bendy.

however still better than the guy who used weatbix board. it all fell to bits when the forklift picked it up.

it still amazes me how many crowds use rubbish pallets, or weak ones, or put way to much on them. 

tho pet peeve is almost no one bothers to bring a spare pallet with them to put the stickies on to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1