MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

Is it cultivated or feral ?

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Is it cultivated or feral ?

Boss  ..... it's cultivated .... I should probably just go ask the cocky ....

Edited by jamesc

Looks a little bit like linen but I have only seen wild linen which is a fairly common pastoral weed.

• Agree 1

Flax (Linum usitatissimum), also known as common flax or linseed, is a member of the genus Linum in the family Linaceae.

It’s a food and fibre crop cultivated in cooler regions of the world. Source: Wikipedia

Flax provides a small amount of both pollen and nectar for honey bees, the degree of visitation and the material collected apparently depending upon the area and competing floral sources. For example, Scullen and Vansell (1942) considered flax a weak source of both pollen and nectar. Alex (1967) concluded that the bee collected only pollen, and Smirnov (1956) said they collected chiefly nectar. Pellett (1947*) stated the numerous bees are found on flax only where there are large number of colonies in the vicinity. Source: Beesource

I’m pretty sure it’s what most linen is made from.

The linseed you eat comes from this plant, pop open one of the round seed heads in a few weeks time and you will find about 6 linseed inside. It provides omega 3 and has many health benefits. 

Edited by GoED
  • Good Info 2

This time last year we were chasing Rata.... this year we are resigned to Radishes.

323EE78C-3AD5-4256-AF08-BDBD7FB15410.jpeg

E0064AFA-B725-4595-AB7B-75648F098190.jpeg

@jamesc brassicas give a good honey flow of nice honey .

And there is clover 

Edited by kaihoka
  • Agree 1

Any idea what this Merry coloniser is ? It’s no good to bees as far as I have observed...

4C976B8D-BDCB-4467-8E1A-3EDCEB756BB5.jpeg

Try a comparison with google images for the gamochaeta / cudweed varieties: e.g. Gamochaeta calviceps, Gamochaeta subfalcata or Gamochaeta purpurea?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Borage said:

Gamochaeta

Yep that’s the one! A new weed for me ...Likes low rainfall areas ( ha ) apparently has some medicinal properties but no use to bees

21 hours ago, GoED said:

Any idea what this Merry coloniser is ? It’s no good to bees as far as I have observed...

4C976B8D-BDCB-4467-8E1A-3EDCEB756BB5.jpeg

It’s not an Ichneumonid, its possibly a damselfly, but neither of those two exactly match this wee fella here. Yet again no decent library of images of NZ bees wasps and flies to help with ID -that I can find. There’s got to be more people interested in these garden insects. I have trawled thru Landcare research and Te Ara to no avail. 

Here’s a beneficial insect on the cudweed, so at least the plant is doing some goodlarge.3DACF300-6210-4744-A6A5-2BA76902F13C.jpeg.ec6c2b1701abe7d69521080f8f0e5f71.jpeg

@GoED your camera is so good .

It really shows how  lacking my cheap phone camera is .

Esp for close ups .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@GoED your camera is so good .

It really shows how  lacking my cheap phone camera is .

Esp for close ups .

Yes it's a nikon D3300 with an old but good tamron macro lens attached. A bit of a luxury but its paying off ; the body and standard lens was in the 600s from camera warehouse which is cheaper than phones these days. If you want to catch the detail as I need to for my painting source material you really have to heft an inconvenient camera around the garden and hive. It's getting propolis all over it from my mucky paws! I'm pleased I have it, years of fun in the studio ahead. I'd love to have a go at a large watercolour of these wee critters, it's on the list...at the moment Im down a rabbit hole painting the first pollen colour chart, I have about 1200 to infill and label. 

• Like 1

I cant find where Alistair and I were talking about my little swarm Hive and the weight it is gaining.

Today it tipped 35.4kg which is almost 2 kg for the last 4 days

Its very hot here and the Clover must be yielding.

Ill go for a walk in a paddock this weekend for a look

• Like 2

saw a lot of bees on pohutukawa in wellington today. And clover. I've somehow ended up with a gear shortage, plenty of 3/4 kitset boxes to make up, and plenty of full depth frames ready to go. But down to very few 3/4 frames spare, and no full depth boxes not in use. Not sure where i stuffed the planning up on that one... Anyone in wellington with 3/4 frames looking for a home in exchange for cash or full depth frames?

10 hours ago, tommy dave said:

But down to very few 3/4 frames spare, and no full depth boxes not in use.

I ordered 5 boxes of 3/4 frames (kitset)  from Ecrotek on Thursday morning.  They arrived in Palmerston North at my house from Auckland at 1pm Friday.  Fantastic service considering the holiday break etc.  Well done Adam and Raj from Ecrotek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Philbee said:

I cant find where Alistair and I were talking about my little swarm Hive and the weight it is gaining.

Today it tipped 35.4kg which is almost 2 kg for the last 4 days

Its very hot here and the Clover must be yielding.

Ill go for a walk in a paddock this weekend for a look

Today (next day) 37.4kg

Clover is pumping

57 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Today (next day) 37.4kg

Clover is pumping

How are you weighing hive? (Or supers)

Manuka is going off on highway 47 looks like it’s been snowing.  Dreadful driving along there, hives on one side of the road national park full of Manuka on the other, every tourists windscreen and road littered with dead bees. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oma said:

Manuka is going off on highway 47 looks like it’s been snowing.  Dreadful driving along there, hives on one side of the road national park full of Manuka on the other, every tourists windscreen and road littered with dead bees. ?

Arhhh, and I thought they closed Desert Rd because of the snow.....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CraBee said:

Arhhh, and I thought they closed Desert Rd because of the snow.....

Desert Rd is SH1 not Highway 47.

On the Desert Rd at this time, it is awash with bees on the Heather.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Desert Rd is SH1 not Highway 47.

On the Desert Rd at this time, it is awash with bees on the Heather.

Wonder if there will be many hives there this season with the prices offered for non Manuka honey why would anyone bother 

21 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Wonder if there will be many hives there this season with the prices offered for non Manuka honey why would anyone bother 

I have not been up there for a couple of years, but I bet there are still a lot of hives up there on Military land.

Oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Marjoram (Origanum majorana) have been flowering in the herb garden for last two weeks are getting a lot of attention from bees; this week it's like they are having a party. It's a hardy culinary herb and forms dense patches of plants that last for years and flower through the hot part of summer as other nectar sources are reducing. Several countries produce oregano honey. It could be a good option for someone with a couple of hectares.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Drums full of cheap honey are better than empty drums .....?

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Drums full of cheap honey are better than empty drums .....?

Probably not if you get $4kg and say 15 kgs of honey from one 3/4 box = $60 per box take off all your costs and what have you got left ?