MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

On 14/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, Beefriendly said:

@GoED are you familiar with Rogers garden centre in Mangere Auckland? 

Significant other is in Auck doing Dad jobs for our daughter. He called into Rogers this avo and bought 10cm Munsted Lavender pots for $2-50.

The goal is to get the lavender well established and keep the maintenance to a minimum. Kind of goes without saying...?

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Yes! Rogers! What a character. He is an acquired taste. Our food forest and native regeneration in Puhoi benefitted from Rogers $2.50 plants, albeit unlabelled as to variety on the wee ones. But being an ex-organic horticulture tutor I noticed the valley of weeds flourishing beside Rogers site, happily seeding themselves in customers pots, some of them ‘containment and surveillance’ weeds. I’m no zealot despite that background, I just don’t like to make unnecessary work by bringing new problems in the gate and tend towards trying to create closed systems once things establish.

Farrels out at Pukekohe are great, don’t know where their Ramarama site right by the motorway has disappeared to, it’s now being turned into another much needed housing subdivision. I’ve discovered Growers Direct down here at Te Puna, just as inexpensive but a superb, tidy operation and great people. Haven’t found a good source over your way but my Mother-in-law has, I’ll have to ask her, there’s great place near Cambridge...

That Munster lavender sounds heavenly @Beefriendly, our place has too many types of plants, mass planting of one plant looks better -lavender seems to provide an excellent long flowering source of protein via pollen and matches the bees amino acid nutritional needs, and allows for the annual haircut with hedge trimmer. That’s my kind of gardening where possible, the least work for the most benefits....and any lavender trimmed takes really well if it has a heel on it and is dipped in rooting compound or willow water (whatever your own personal bent). Ive been stuffing lavender cuttings in on our bank, and was surprised how many took. I’m on a steep learning curve with gardening too. I suspect that’s the nature of gardening and beekeeping. Constant learning. I tend to hiff seeds around everywhere and see what comes up, so I can’t expect an elegant feel to our place. At least the soil is protected by living mulch, aye. Time is limited and precious. 

• Like 4

On 15/11/2018 at 10:52 PM, nikki watts said:

Everything seams to be having a good flowering this year, except the pohtukawa. Cabbage tree is nearly finished and Manuka is in full flower in some areas and budding up in others. Some areas are not warm enough yet for a Manuka crop, others are desert  like already. 

pohutukawa is coming on here.

manuka still in flower but nothing working it. kanuka is not in flower yet.

privet is going hard <yuck>, bees still on the flax and cabbage.

however in places clover flow is in full swing, so kiss goodbye to kanuka crop.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tristan said:

I've also noticed the first of the Pohutukawa here starting to flower.  This week I Intend to strip any stored honey from the Pohutukawa sites.

Manuka is fading.

Kanuka has started, full trees in flower within the last week.

Very little clover here as always, kanuka it will be.  Hoping for a good flowering, last year was a bit lacklustre.

I've had really tetchy bees this past week...waiting for a decent solid flow I suppose.

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tristan said:

Maybe we’re lucky not to have much clover

49 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Maybe we’re lucky not to have much clover

the other thing of course is temps the aeras get. you can get enough variations that even sites close to each other can get different crops.

Pohutukawa, bottlebrush, citrus blossoms and clover going here, keeping the girls busy. 

1 hour ago, tristan said:

the other thing of course is temps the aeras get. you can get enough variations that even sites close to each other can get different crops.

Saw my first pohutukawa flower today. Woohoo

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tristan said:

Interesting your kanuka not in flower .

Neither is ours .

But over the hill in the rest of golden bay it is flowering . So there is hope for us yet .

Can you see buds  on your kanuka .

11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Interesting your kanuka not in flower .

Neither is ours .

But over the hill in the rest of golden bay it is flowering . So there is hope for us yet .

Can you see buds  on your kanuka .

havn't looked to see.

i expect it to be full on very soon, but looks like clover has bet it to it. roll the dice as to what we shall get.

• Like 1

The 15 or so hectares of pasture that was next door to me has been divided in to a dozen sections and all I hear each weekend now is lawn mowers cutting grass to within an inch of it's life ?

On the upside the cocky across the other side of the river has cleared out his stock to grow haylage and I can see the buttercups coming up. Also looks like the weekender on the other side of me has removed the 4 hives that I suspected may have died out which is a huge relief.

• Like 2

@GoED, I am really after rows of lavender hedging... however I’m a lazy gardener. How to keep weeds down and get the plants really established? . Minimum effort, maximum effect.

The replacement lavenders, arrived in the same day as himself at Rogers

3C6A3B9F-1ED9-43DF-812D-806269EE3D85.thumb.jpeg.326c5929897a06ee7c69442759870c80.jpeg

We have family staying from the UK and took them to the ‘lavender backyard garden’ in Newstead this avo.. There is the palest tinge of colour on the plants..another 3-4 weeks and they will be looking amazing!

19 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Beefriendly non woven weed mat .

10 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

@Beefriendly- discarded carpet- Free from your local store.

Thanks to you both... Ive previously used both of those and our tenacious weeds, keep growing through them both. I currently have barley straw mulch down. It made the weeding much easier. Basically I have to be more diligent and keep at them. ?

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Beefriendly non woven weed mat .

Soil can get very dry under carpet, I only use it on paths now .

The non woven stuff is cheap and will eventually break down .

It is easier to remove eventually it will rip as you pull it out .

9 hours ago, Mummzie said:

@Beefriendly- discarded carpet- Free from your local store.

Great idea-carpet. Apparently not with yellow pigments from memory if it’s older wool carpet, but that’s anecdotal, can’t provide data to back that up. Carpet does work really well. Layered damp newspaper and cardboard* performs well on top of a lawn clippings and coffee grinds from a local cafe ( keeps the carbon-nitrogen ratios more friendly for plant roots) covered with a mulch to make it more pleasing to the eye, seems to last well and encourage worms. When damp it’s easy to mould, rip and fold around the seedlings

* just not banana boxes where possible...? 

Weedmat, is great, there seems to be two types, one is better, and biodegradable.

Coconut matting is lovely on all counts but expensive and the weeds do come through within a season. You can buy whole rolls from the wholesaler in Rosebank Rd AKL. 

• Good Info 2

10 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

@GoED, I am really after rows of lavender hedging... however I’m a lazy gardener. How to keep weeds down and get the plants really established? . Minimum effort, maximum effect.

The replacement lavenders, arrived in the same day as himself at Rogers

3C6A3B9F-1ED9-43DF-812D-806269EE3D85.thumb.jpeg.326c5929897a06ee7c69442759870c80.jpeg

We have family staying from the UK and took them to the ‘lavender backyard garden’ in Newstead this avo.. There is the palest tinge of colour on the plants..another 3-4 weeks and they will be looking amazing!

That sea of lavender will look amazing on your bank @Beefriendly. Our bank keeps me busy pulling out weeds. Soon creepers and seedlings might spread and cover. Oh for living mulch! Where we put leaf mulch it has made things easier....so eventually well get to doing that on that back bank too. Weeding is a constant job here and we are on 1/10th the land we had at Puhoi. No wonder we fell over. I totally admire small holders, lifestyles and farmers.

22 hours ago, GoED said:

That sea of lavender will look amazing on your bank @Beefriendly. Our bank keeps me busy pulling out weeds. Soon creepers and seedlings might spread and cover. Oh for living mulch! Where we put leaf mulch it has made things easier....so eventually well get to doing that on that back bank too. Weeding is a constant job here and we are on 1/10th the land we had at Puhoi. No wonder we fell over. I totally admire small holders, lifestyles and farmers.

Living mulch... what an excellent idea 

When we looked at lifestyle properties 10 years ago..the agent told us, you plant it, mow it or graze it. We’ve since learnt, the one that was failed to be mentioned.. Weed it. ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Today Jimmy’s world is looking good, despite the fact that yesterday the bank came calling and asked what  the logic was in making more low value honey.

my reply was thst beekeepers are optimists.... and that it was for my retirement nest egg.

F7E0F909-20C2-45B3-894F-A3C428781F5D.jpeg

• Like 6

On 20/11/2018 at 7:12 AM, Beefriendly said:

Living mulch... what an excellent idea 

When we looked at lifestyle properties 10 years ago..the agent told us, you plant it, mow it or graze it. We’ve since learnt, the one that was failed to be mentioned.. Weed it. ?

Yep our own ‘lifestyle’ was more of a life sentence weeding. Still get the heebie geebies every time I see woolly nightshade -now there is a plant I just can’t be polite about. Couple land size with a lack of spare cash to pay for machines and help, and it became clear that we were going to add to the statistics of five year lifestyle block ownership. We just didn’t need all that space to rattle around in. Privacy yes, acres no. 

Several joint replacements later and a classic quarter acre looked extremely inviting. I think we got the size about right this time to preserve what sanity we have left. It’s a revelation to bee watch, potter, or go out for a bike ride or a paddle and feel no guilt.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Today Jimmy’s world is looking good, despite the fact that yesterday the bank came calling and asked what  the logic was in making more low value honey.

my reply was thst beekeepers are optimists.... and that it was for my retirement nest egg.

Wonderful image @jamesc

• Agree 1

Pohutukawa just starting to bloom in Tanners Point. Top left of image. 9 degree start to the day and bees still tucked up in bed.

5842C8E9-DAEE-4465-BC75-9BB0D713FA24.jpeg

3ABAD937-5772-495A-AC38-FC3D882B551F.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Is that Quintinia ?

That must be way down the coast.

Its been finished here for a month.

How is the kamahi flowering there.?

22 hours ago, GoED said:

Pohutukawa just starting to bloom in Tanners Point. Top left of image. 9 degree start to the day and bees still tucked up in bed.

5842C8E9-DAEE-4465-BC75-9BB0D713FA24.jpeg

3ABAD937-5772-495A-AC38-FC3D882B551F.jpeg

Aah .... now I see the flower.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is that Quintinia ?

That must be way down the coast.

Its been finished here for a month.

How is the kamahi flowering there.?

This is at MAF ID 224 .....  down at Lat 42* .....  flowers coming but it's cold ..... we'll give it a punt and if it all turns to custard they can come back over the hill for January clover.