What are bees foraging on at present

1 hour ago, tudor said:

Would that be myrtle rust ?

initially i thought that.

so i got a pole saw and cut the branch.

but on closer inspection it seems some sort of insect, maybe scale.

i will take the branch into DOC.

Edited by kaihoka
grammer
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

The lavender will look fabulous, are you going for a purple plant palette? Kings seeds have fabulous plants and their seeds have a high germination rate. Let me know if you want some Lacy phaceli

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

What are dandeliins good for? Pollen or nectar, had a few flowering today i saw bees with pollen on them but a few looked to be gathering nectar too. Was interesting as there were lots of flowers out when i was working my hives and when i finnished they had all closed up and disapeared

52 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Dandelions are good for a box of honey and will keep you going till the clover ...if you have strong hives.

Hives at this site are really bursting into life, one had been honey bound and had started to lay in the swarm cups, iv gone through and nocked them all down and really opened up her space and added another box, hive wasnt my strongest so though it was a bit strange, in your experience will they still try swarm ? Even if theres a slight honey flow on?

1 hour ago, Jaspur M said:

Hives at this site are really bursting into life, one had been honey bound and had started to lay in the swarm cups, iv gone through and nocked them all down and really opened up her space and added another box, hive wasnt my strongest so though it was a bit strange, in your experience will they still try swarm ? Even if theres a slight honey flow on?

They're trying to swarm from lack of space , and they'll probably keep trying 

Along with the extra space , I'd split off the queen with most of the brood and nurse bees, and frames of honey and take them somewhere else. That way , the flight bees will think the queen has gone with a swarm already , and the queen can't swarm with nurse bees . 

If you let the flight bees raise a new queen , be aggressive and just leave one capped cell or they may well swarm anyway as the Virgin queens emerge . 

Next time , stretch the brood nest earlier so they have plenty of space and comb to draw to keep the bees busy 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2
11 hours ago, Jaspur M said:

Did you use drawn comb @Jaspur M ? as the Q needs to be ably to lay and it may be this that has meant they are ready to go.  Also you could have - maybe you did - remove about half the frames from the bottom box and put them up in the new box just to give them more space / reduce congestion in the bottom.  The other option is to take brood and bees and put them in your weakest hive to even the hives up a bit.  They are very likely to look to go again so make sure you check before the next Q cell can be capped and if they are going to go again I'd make a top split leaving the Queen and all the foraging bees in the original position and take most of the brood and some honey into the top box and put a cell in or if you don't have one let them make their own Queen.  The only new gear you need to make this happen is an additional lid if you leave the box on top of the hive lid below and prop up a corner with some solid twigs.

• Thanks 1

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.389bbb3d39590c9d46ed14979d69b066.JPG

outside our our family room/ kitchen windows this stunning spreading Cherry has the most amazing display of flowers

the bees are a buzz, foraging busily with their heads well tucked into the blossoms to sip the nectar..

the bees love love the flowers and the flowers love the bees

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 1:42 PM, kaihoka said:

does anyone know what's affecting this rata tree.

I had a big tree defoliate last summer. It seems to have come back with leaf now.

can find nothing with google .

WP_20170913_13_30_23_Pro.jpg

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=myrtle+rust its probably not myrtle rust, but i'd try to get in touch with doc just in case. Ive seen alot of posters around wellington talking about reporting it

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jaspur M said:

Does any one know how long dandelion flowers for? 

Almost all year round except mid winter . If summer rainfall is favourable , they’ll flower all the way through , otherwise they burn off .  

Dandelion is very useful for Bees 

Catsear isn’t flowering yet but will as it gets hotter and drier . It’s a different plant altogether from dandelion with a similar looking flower 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, M4tt said:

Almost all year round except mid winter . If summer rainfall is favourable , they’ll flower all the way through , otherwise they burn off .  

Dandelion is very useful for Bees 

Catsear isn’t flowering yet but will as it gets hotter and drier . It’s a different plant altogether from dandelion with a similar looking flower 

Does it produce much nectar for the bees?