What are bees foraging on at present

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

My plums are only just flowering now. Odd when everything else is early. 

is it the variety. most plums are finished here.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

I found this one o my travels, massive tree! This farm also has huge kowhai trees too!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, nikki watts said:

My plums are only just flowering now. Odd when everything else is early. 

Interestingly , the ryegrass is late going to seed this year. The usual time is around the start of the last week of October. I haven’t seen any seedhead. This has happened before with different outcomes . Sometimes it hardly bothers, other times it seeds a bit later , very heavily. I’m picking the latter this year . 

On the other hand, the white clover is early and the bees are working nectar from it already and cream coloured pollen from plantain 

• Like 2

I have no idea what this is, but being solidly worked.  Also walked under a Horse Chestnut just outside the office that was positively humming.  Thinking that I should persuade the boss to let me put a hive or two on the roof as we are right on Auckland domain.Bee1.thumb.jpg.d98abc556397b498c1a1ed8b89ee3c02.jpgBee2.thumb.jpg.9632a695d954599f719274adfdd1c8f5.jpg

• Agree 1
On 4/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, Josh said:

I don’t know what it’s called but these bushes are alive all over Church Bay (Lyttelton Harbour)

8962327A-1532-4127-A89B-002DD6CFF08C.jpeg

On 4/10/2018 at 3:08 PM, yesbut said:

"Pride of Madeira "  Echium Candidans.    A close relative of Viper's Bugloss .   I've got heaps of them in full bloom too. Most of my hives seem to be on them.

@DeeGeeBee from earlier in the thread, looks similar 

Im sure I’ll soon be corrected if needs be ?

Edited by Beefriendly
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
20 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

I have no idea what this is, but being solidly worked.  Also walked under a Horse Chestnut just outside the office that was positively humming.  Thinking that I should persuade the boss to let me put a hive or two on the roof as we are right on Auckland domain.Bee1.thumb.jpg.d98abc556397b498c1a1ed8b89ee3c02.jpgBee2.thumb.jpg.9632a695d954599f719274adfdd1c8f5.jpg

Our horse chestnuts flowers are just about to open . The bees go nuts over them 

• Like 1

ffs, go away for a week or two with heaps of space on hives. Come back and urgently need to assemble more boxes and wax more frames. I'm blaming cabbage tree for this inconvenient bee behaviour.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have always thought cabbage trees were way over rated as a source of pollen and nectar. Don't get me wrong I love them as trees and think they smell divine when in flower but although bees are obviously somewhat attracted to them you usually see more flies than bees. Undoubtedly they are better than nothing and are probably more attractive some years than others but I don't rate them very highly when it comes to honey production. Those beautiful big old trees are getting pretty rare now with cabbage tree decline disease taking out huge numbers throughout the country. I have planted nearly 100 around home and lose about 20% per year.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
On 7/04/2018 at 5:26 AM, jamesc said:

We extracted some Buckwheat honey yesterday . Now that is revolting.

We received this today in the mail.

first reaction is I don’t think it’s going to be any benefit to beekeepers probably the reverse in fact.

DFAE219F-DCDF-4DAD-ADB2-1E829B9D0C44.jpeg

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We received this today in the mail.

first reaction is I don’t think it’s going to be any benefit to beekeepers probably the reverse in fact.

DFAE219F-DCDF-4DAD-ADB2-1E829B9D0C44.jpeg

Youa are right ...... of no benefit as I could'nt open it ......?

• Agree 2

Rewarewa buds just starting to open here . Looks like a heap of flowers on them this year . Looks like a similar story here to you @Maru Hoani . Fairly pale looking honey in the supers here as well . Reminds me of three years ago . Manuka as white as snow and the supers packed to overflowing with clover honey !