MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

20 hours ago, Oma said:

Alas the Taupō Native Plant Nursery is in receivership.  Brought many native plants from them over the years ?

Quite true. I’ve just received the email 

Dear Matt,

Thank you to all our customers for your business and on-going support over the years.

Sadly, and with regret we must advise you all that The Native Plant Nursery will be closing its doors in Taupo and Auckland on the 26th of October 2018.

We are having our biggest sale ever, where all stock must go from now until close, so come in and say goodbye to the crew and grab yourself a bargain.

Any enquiries after this date are to BDO at bri.akl@bdo.co.nz

Thanks again.

Regards,
The Native Plant Nursery Team

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 2

Man!! I only just found them last autumn!

17 hours ago, yesbut said:

Titoki ?

Titoki comes up like weeds at our place. I pot them up and give them to our farmers 20+ at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bron said:

Titoki comes up like weeds at our place. I pot them up and give them to our farmers 20+ at a time.

It's not naturally occurring in my area at all .

There is some in Nelson.

I think it is too wet here .

My bees are on a honey dew flow but what worries me I have seen no wasps at all.A wild goat was killed 6 weeks ago,no wasps and very few blow flies or smell.No birds at the site,wekas or bush robins.

• Sad 2

I don’t know what it’s called but these bushes are alive all over Church Bay (Lyttelton Harbour)

8962327A-1532-4127-A89B-002DD6CFF08C.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don’t know what it’s called but these bushes are alive all over Church Bay (Lyttelton Harbour)

8962327A-1532-4127-A89B-002DD6CFF08C.jpeg

And by “alive”, I mean buzzing with hundreds of bees

"Pride of Madeira "  Echium Candidans.    A close relative of Viper's Bugloss .   I've got heaps of them in full bloom too. Most of my hives seem to be on them.

6 minutes ago, black bee said:

borage is going well

Borage or Vipers Bugloss

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

"Pride of Madeira "  Echium Candidans.    A close relative of Viper's Bugloss .   I've got heaps of them in full bloom too. Most of my hives seem to be on them.

thanks @yesbut I’ve never known what they’re called. I’m tempted to put a couple of hives over here, would be another good excuse to come to the bach... not that I should need any. 

7 hours ago, Bighands said:

My bees are on a honey dew flow but what worries me I have seen no wasps at all.A wild goat was killed 6 weeks ago,no wasps and very few blow flies or smell.No birds at the site,wekas or bush robins.

7 hours ago, Bighands said:

1080?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

1080?

maybe but we will not go there

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

I would like some .

Do the propagate by seed .

I grow the small echium from seed .

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do the propagate by seed

Yes nearly like a weed. I'll save some.

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Thanks .

They probably like like loose dry soil . Since they grow wild in Marlborough .

But I would like to try some .

57 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Thanks .

They probably like like loose dry soil . Since they grow wild in Marlborough .

But I would like to try some .

They're not quite the Marlborough echiums, but they don't like humus.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

I would like some seed too please.  Thanks, in anticipation.

• Like 1

Every summer I sow down brassicas so they bypass the root forming stage and go straight into flowering. these flower over a long period, giving the bees continuity over late winter into late spring and are bouncing with bees all day long.

Rosemary is another that will flower from late winter and if timed right with plantings in different locations will give flowerings from late winter through to mid/late summer...and a good quality forage.

While alot are going off site, alot are on these two sources.

The other day I followed a bee as it made its way round all the sow thistle plants in my back yard and back to the hive, not seen this before!

Bluebells. Last year, I saw a couple on these, this year there were loads on them, maybe because its been such a warm winter making them flower later. I havent noticed bees on these before..

Herb Robert, bees spend between 2 to 3 seconds on these flowers compared to Rosemary at 1 second.

Manuka....nada except for a lone paper wasp.

Hebe Cyprossoide(sp?) spring flowering koromiko, been flowering for a few days and just starting to attract a range of insects. Expecting this to be bouncing with bees next week.

Veronica persica- a minor weed. closes up mid day but has a number of visitors.

Calendulas, just starting to get visited.

Italian Prune and Greengage plum- first year flowering, so not great but quite a few.

Stella Cherry, just started but loads on it already.

I think our bees deserve a diet of a wide variety of plants....just like we do, I havent bothered to document where and for how long they are on whats in my backyard, maybe next year.

Edited by mischief
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, mischief said:

Every summer I sow down brassicas so they bypass the root forming stage and go straight into flowering. these flower over a long period, giving the bees continuity over late winter into late spring and are bouncing with bees all day long.

Rosemary is another that will flower from late winter and if timed right with plantings in different locations will give flowerings from late winter through to mid/late summer...and a good quality forage.

While alot are going off site, alot are on these two sources.

The other day I followed a bee as it made its way round all the sow thistle plants in my back yard and back to the hive, not seen this before!

Bluebells. Last year, I saw a couple on these, this year there were loads on them, maybe because its been such a warm winter making them flower later. I havent noticed bees on these before..

Herb Robert, bees spend between 2 to 3 seconds on these flowers compared to Rosemary at 1 second.

Manuka....nada except for a lone paper wasp.

Hebe Cyprossoide(sp?) spring flowering koromiko, been flowering for a few days and just starting to attract a range of insects. Expecting this to be bouncing with bees next week.

Veronica persica- a minor weed. closes up mid day but has a number of visitors.

Calendulas, just starting to get visited.

Italian Prune and Greengage plum- first year flowering, so not great but quite a few.

Stella Cherry, just started but loads on it already.

I think our bees deserve a diet of a wide variety of plants....just like we do, I havent bothered to document where and for how long they are on whats in my backyard, maybe next year.

Hmmm .... tell me more about the brassica for late flowering . What are you planting and when. I did'nt know bluebells yielded nectar. We have just cultivated a patch in the cell raising paddock and broadcast a pollinator mix from King Seeds . Next door in the Gypsy Block are many hebe's relocated from the Christchurch Redzone , while the willows are in fullflower. And of course, being cell raisers, there is a continual diet of syrup !

Edited by jamesc

Two types of turnips- milano and yellow jelly(not too sure of the right name this one),  black radish, mustard lettuce and mustard seed....that one didnt grow this year so I am going to have to buy it this year. I put in an area that had fresh mulched up tree and they obviously didnt like it and so didnt grow at all.

I originally sowed the seed in late summer, they grew stayed dormant an went straight to flower, bypassing the root forming stage.

Now, I leave the plants as long as I can so the seeds fully form before I pull the plants out to make room for my vegies andyes the birds help themselves to the ripening seeds; I  just lay the whole plant in the next area and leave it...being time poor, I dont hav too much time to waste. Nothing happens til late summer/autumn, when they start to sprout and grow til it get cold and then they flower.

The bluebells seem to yield a pale whitish pollen.  Not seen bees on them til recently and not sure why they have started paying attention to them.

I have one type of spring flowering hebe just starting, mum has the summer one of which I now have three new plants and a friend is going to get me another type that has been flowering for ages at her campas, so these should give a longer term forage of similar types.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Apple tree just started flowering and bees on it already, same with the espaliered garden belle Pear.

Does any one else keep wild flowers going just for the bees?

37 minutes ago, mischief said:

Apple tree just started flowering and bees on it already, same with the espaliered garden belle Pear.

Does any one else keep wild flowers going just for the bees?

Beside me do you mean .

• Like 1