MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

Just now, Sailabee said:

I have yellow clay, but know others who are also close to flowering trees that have no flowers either. I like the honey so would be chuffed to have one that flowers.

I have three pohutukawa in my Bush clay .

They do not flower as well as the other local ones round the coast .

I thought it may be cooler Bush conditions .

• Good Info 1

@Bighands do you have much Hinau in your area .?

Do you see the bees active in it .?

The bees have found our Kakabeaks . They would have to be one of my favourite natives , but everything seems to like eating them , especially slugs and snails . 

We just need a pink one now , but haven’t seen any in the garden centres . 

EBE43A9C-29A3-4A73-B4BC-37730BC1691B.jpeg

2EB430A1-4B42-49C3-8782-9CE0C0438171.jpeg

B1616F7B-6825-4973-8A39-56040EC620F0.jpeg

• Like 5

On 30/08/2018 at 5:53 PM, kaihoka said:

Some of my Rhodos are full of bees .

The hinau trees are covered in buds and the kamahi has small buds on some trees.

My macadamia is covered in buds like I have never seen .

It may be a big year for rewa rewa this year .

IMG_20180830_174522-1971x1379.jpg

Do you get many nuts off the macadamia

5 hours ago, kevin moore said:

Do you get many nuts off the macadamia

In the last two years I have been getting some nuts.

This tree took 20 yrs to start flowering.

I have never had so many buds so I am hopefull.

I have friends on the other side of golden bay who have trees that are always laden with nuts.

And avocado trees that are laden with avocados too .

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me what plant the red pollen might be from? Have seen a bit of it coming into the hives over the last couple of weeks. I’m in urban Auckland so lots of different garden plants around. 

C1F25915-74EA-40B8-A0E3-298D28DA3BF2.jpeg

• Like 2

@Rewi1973I saw a few bees on our daisy flowers today with similar red pollen on board . 

• Thanks 1

Rescued about 30 hyperthermic bees from the plum blossoms this afternoon.  Gave them some sugar syrup and a warm up with a hot water bottle and they were able to fly back to their hives.  Hope the SE winds let up tomorrow.  

20180906_211817.jpg

• Like 2

@Oma if there has been a nasty change in the weather I will see a half dozen dead bees on the landing board .

• Sad 1

Dreadful photo posted from my phone won’t be using that again.  Much better day today wind still here, at least the sun is out and so are my girls.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oma said:

Dreadful photo posted from my phone won’t be using that again.  

I am just in total awe of anybody who can post photos by any means.

• Agree 1

Waihi today. Walk about looking at what is available for Bees close by. Plenty of options for a good spring build up.

893ADA8D-FE59-4EA5-9BD1-35E7196A1419.thumb.jpeg.53e7b7e93352efccdd096a1a30ebb77b.jpeg6999A3AB-04BF-4850-8180-5E5877B459C4.thumb.jpeg.89f5a8f398b5e1b62d9ce6e560fc5fca.jpeg3B5BB58A-8696-4751-AC15-6709060291DE.thumb.jpeg.324da8b3d36281481d0f84626689ba4c.jpeg67FD2D91-9505-49F4-9D3D-78C67C24DC20.thumb.jpeg.8354d610fc517d2ed5fa6d4c1df9ecbd.jpegA7BBF087-0759-410A-9C48-5A33E1301C0F.thumb.jpeg.6c17dd47e70d8ab22b0ee56e91bda926.jpegF3A58C15-2D61-473C-A9DE-788EB910CF30.thumb.jpeg.aaf7deda8852a637f4b904272c4d395a.jpegAEC46071-82D8-4C75-9067-3AC9DBB89DCD.thumb.jpeg.990d51c5fcc9a56f6c62e1cb4915b5f2.jpegAF971D14-F164-457C-B57F-E245645AAF14.thumb.jpeg.7e0b04ef2d2cc093b2365c30e3f9d892.jpeg20BC2CC1-156D-4654-97C6-D0DED90CAB0B.thumb.jpeg.225509ee06868764bca84f570f709bab.jpeg

• Like 4

Rosemary!!!

My little Rosemary hedge-4 m long and only 1-1.2 high flowering for its second year is absolutely bouncing with bees...1 metre behind the hive.

I sat for ages watching both. Its not true that bees will not forage near their hive.

Alot did fly off, but many flew right in front of me around the side of the hive straight to the Rosemary  and eventually back in again.

Of all my fruit trees that are flowering at the moment, the Luisa plum won hands down today.

The Blackboy peach has only just started but already getting visited.

• Like 2

Watched the cat, watching bees foraging on the daisies on the lawn this afternoon...

? ? ?

10 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

Watched the cat, watching bees foraging on the daisies on the lawn this afternoon...

? ? ?

Sounds like someone has too much spare time on their hands.

• Haha 3

On 5/09/2018 at 2:02 PM, Rewi1973 said:

Can anyone tell me what plant the red pollen might be from? Have seen a bit of it coming into the hives over the last couple of weeks. I’m in urban Auckland so lots of different garden plants around. 

In Dunedin we get a bright red pollen from (horse) chestnut trees when they're in flower. They're still a wee way off down here though but might be earlier up your way (if there are any)?

• Thanks 1

@kaihoka

I never saw this thread this time last year so never saw your photos of the rata scale insect.

We get these in Dunedin too. When I was working at the Otago Museum I came across a couple of small rata branches/leaves in the collections that one of our local entomolgists (Tony Harris) had collected. These were fair covered in this scale insect. I've seen it quite regularly on rata here since. Severity seems to vary greatly from season to season but it doesn't seem to have lasting detrimental effects on rata trees here.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Otto said:

@kaihoka

I never saw this thread this time last year so never saw your photos of the rata scale insect.

We get these in Dunedin too. When I was working at the Otago Museum I came across a couple of small rata branches/leaves in the collections that one of our local entomolgists (Tony Harris) had collected. These were fair covered in this scale insect. I've seen it quite regularly on rata here since. Severity seems to vary greatly from season to season but it doesn't seem to have lasting detrimental effects on rata trees here.

The tree that was badly affected two years ago recovered and flowered last season .

It is still looking completely recovered .

I am not sure what climate it prefers. It seemed worst when we had a cold wet summer .

My bees were working some ake ake today which is the first time of ever seen bees on this plant. It's not that common round here and mostly only found in gardens. Has anyone else seen bees on this plant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john berry said:

My bees were working some ake ake today which is the first time of ever seen bees on this plant. It's not that common round here and mostly only found in gardens. Has anyone else seen bees on this plant.

I have seen bees in the Blackwoods after the pollen for the first time ever.

We have had two weeks without rain or much wind . Unusual for this time of year.

Maybe the weather needed to be dry before the pollen was worthwhile.

Have you had unusual weather .

Bees work Blackwood quite freely round here. I think it's probably the first time I've ever seen ake ake flowering as I haven't had plants in my garden and it's very rare in the bush around here. These were part of a revegetation project. They were definitely collecting pollen and I'm not sure about nectar but the bees had a reasonable shake of fresh honey today. Don't think there's enough ake ake near the hives to account for what they were getting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john berry said:

Bees work Blackwood quite freely round here. I think it's probably the first time I've ever seen ake ake flowering as I haven't had plants in my garden and it's very rare in the bush around here. These were part of a revegetation project. They were definitely collecting pollen and I'm not sure about nectar but the bees had a reasonable shake of fresh honey today. Don't think there's enough ake ake near the hives to account for what they were getting.

I have read that Blackwood pollen is of very low quality .

Have you read anything similar ? 

shaping up to be a really well staggered willow flowering around all of our spring sites this year, weeping and pussy willow have been in flower for a while showing plenty of fresh nectar amongst the brood cells... Crack willow all seems at slightly different stages which is perfect... if a big nor wester hits we might not lose the entire willow flow in one go. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Honey dews running ...... Bees are getting bitchy on Kowhai , and we are still making syrup.

• Confused 1