What are bees foraging on at present

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of pollen coming in off the buttercup that has started flowering.

If only all town sections looked like this. I found this today on a lunchtime stroll through a new housing area. Its near an inlet so the sections are built up about 1.5 metres.  This is looking

Blimen Heck.  I am at 9235.  I am not going to become a queen. It may be the fashionable thing now days,  But !!!!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, dansar said:

I headed down national park way last week. Five finger is look8ng really good down there. I think @Philbee will be pleased with what is getting ready to flower.

I haven't seen any F F flowers yet but my cousin in town has Bees all over his FF 

Its going to be a very good Spring IMO 
Queen orders starting as well
Got asked today about Queen prices, Gulp dont know, been too busy to think about it

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dansar said:

Is there not much else around flowering?

That's interesting.  I'd always thought they didn't go for pine pollen, that it was wind blown, and a low quality pollen.  As you say perhaps there isn't much else around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/04/2018 at 8:13 PM, jamesc said:

Indeed .... all or most of our dew used to go to Germany. Maybe John Hartnell could try and crank that outlet up again .....?

We weighed our honey dew hive on Friday. It had gained 1.7kg in weight since last time ten days ago. Whether that was with dew or new bees I'm not sure, but like Phibee, we brought home 2000kg of sugar and it's still in the shed, so all that  is cheap is good.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Some of my Rhodos are full of bees .

The hinau trees are covered in buds and the kamahi has small buds on some trees.

My macadamia is covered in buds like I have never seen .

It may be a big year for rewa rewa this year .

IMG_20180830_174522-1971x1379.jpg

Hmmm .... early year for the kamahi ...?

Trees respond to the previous seasons conditions/environmental inputs and their outputs also I think. So if they had a bumper previous season it is more unlikely they will have the resources to produce a following season bumper crop too.

Accordingly if they had a mediocre previous season the new season has potential for a better crop? (less output previous season thus perhaps resources in hand?)

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc I have some trees that come on early .

But this is early even for them .

I will let you know how things progress.

Thanks. A while ago it looked like Whitecliffs was in for an early spring with the Cherry blossom thinking of appearing. But then we got a month of wicked frosts and everything went on hold ..... and yet ten k's up the road at Windwhistle they got none of it.

44 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thanks. A while ago it looked like Whitecliffs was in for an early spring with the Cherry blossom thinking of appearing. But then we got a month of wicked frosts and everything went on hold ..... and yet ten k's up the road at Windwhistle they got none of it.

It really depends on which direction a cold air mass comes from for frost in some areas.

A tilt to the east or west of south can make all the difference .