MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on at present

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

This is at MAF ID 224 .....  down at Lat 42* .....  flowers coming but it's cold ..... we'll give it a punt and if it all turns to custard they can come back over the hill for January clover.

i have read quintinia honey is bitter.

taste it and let me know.

40 mm in an hour a couple of days ago and thunderstorms taking the power out was a change from the warm dry weather we have experienced over the past couple of months.  The sky still has that look and feel of thunderstorms not far away.    The clover has come away and the girls are loving it.     The Kanuka is in full flower here and is the most prolific in the  almost five years we have lived here.

We have a bit of jungle on the other side of a small stream in front of our house that I hope to clear this summer.  I tracked this bush with white flowers down by its fragrance you cant really see it among the privet saplings etc.   No bees on it though despite the fragrance, anyone know what it is?

Clover November 2018.jpg

White flowered bush.jpg

• Like 1

@BJC I had a  good look at our kanuka and I am thinking it may  be as prolific too.

• Haha 1

I will get a photo when I feel like walking up the hill, might be a while though!

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, DeeGeeBee said:

The 15 or so hectares of pasture that was next door to me has been divided in to a dozen sections and all I hear each weekend now is lawn mowers cutting grass to within an inch of it's life ? 

I've stopped mowing as much since I discovered beekeeping. Our back lawn is a clover and buttercup mini-meadow now. Clover is great, it keeps all the other weeds down and I only mow about 4 times a year when its not flowering.  I'm hoping the summer will be great for boating and camping, so that all the neighbours will head out of town and leave their lawns alone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Our Kanuka is just starting. Looks like its going to have a good season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Manuka up the hill has started. I see next to no buds on the  Kanuka.

Bucketing down here at North end of Tauranga harbour...16 degrees.

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, BJC said:

I tracked this bush with white flowers down by its fragrance you cant really see it among the privet saplings etc.   No bees on it though despite the fragrance, anyone know what it is? 

White flowered bush.jpg

It could be a Philadelphus?

http://www.worldbotanical.com/images/Philadelphus_lewisii26.jpg

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-property/85083397/gardening-guru-linda-hallinan-on-nzs-most-lovable-shrubs

"Philadelphus, also known as mock orange, is taller and nondescript when not in bloom. Its late spring flowers have a citrus-blossom scent and white petals of such purity that plant breeders bestow their cultivars with names like 'Innocence', 'Virginal' and 'Frosty Morn'."

Edited by Borage
removed an image that did not copy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

The Manuka up the hill has started. I see next to no buds on the  Kanuka.

Thats strange 

I would think you would be similar to the rest of nelson .

7 hours ago, Borage said:

It could be a Philadelphus?

http://www.worldbotanical.com/images/Philadelphus_lewisii26.jpg

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-property/85083397/gardening-guru-linda-hallinan-on-nzs-most-lovable-shrubs

"Philadelphus, also known as mock orange, is taller and nondescript when not in bloom. Its late spring flowers have a citrus-blossom scent and white petals of such purity that plant breeders bestow their cultivars with names like 'Innocence', 'Virginal' and 'Frosty Morn'."

Thank you, much appreciated, it sure does have a great fragrance and I am pleased to be able to release it from the wilds.

Dear @yesbut What do you think about a 2018/19 season thread, so we can refer back to it in the future, we are well into this season now....

7 minutes ago, GoED said:

Dear @yesbut What do you think about a 2018/19 season thread, so we can refer back to it in the future, we are well into this season now....

Don't look at me, I don't work here !  I never refer back anyway, I just look ahead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Don't look at me, I don't work here !  I never refer back anyway, I just look ahead.

Yes But you are really good at plant ID let alone everything else where it comes to advice.  Fine. I’ll be still then. ?

The topic has continued beyond its title. Its a good plant ID topic so maybe admin could edit the title to remove the season @Trevor Gillbanks?

23 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

The topic has continued beyond its title. Its a good plant ID topic so maybe admin could edit the title to remove the season @Trevor Gillbanks?

Done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GoED said:

If you want a new thread, the start one.  If others agree, then they will post.  If not then the thread will die.  It is not up to admin.

On 26/11/2018 at 8:35 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

If you want a new thread, the start one.  If others agree, then they will post.  If not then the thread will die.  It is not up to admin.

No. New thread not needed. You have solved it thank you Trevor :IMG_0386:

Never mind the patchy weather the competition is tough out there!

1E7815C1-A689-42C5-94AB-E0C41988D24A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Oma said:

Never mind the patchy weather the competition is tough out there!

1E7815C1-A689-42C5-94AB-E0C41988D24A.jpeg

@Omaare they collecting pollen, can you see what colour it is in their corbiculae? Which variety is this, Papaver orientale (Oriental Poppy) perhaps...I’m wondering if it has dark pollen, one source shows it yields either black, black grey, charcoal coloured pollen. Another source shows the pollen as mid grey with a slight blue cast.:42_confused: Any direct observation would help me get it close to correct. No hurry, just if you notice by chance. 

Papaver rhoeus ( Field, Corn, Flanders, common poppy) has pollen that seems to be a dark navy/slate tone according to Kirk.... I have the truncated 2010 version of Kirk ‘Pollen ID Cards’.

Some internet sources are a bit hit n miss showing the real colour. I’ll have more accurate references next week.

18 minutes ago, GoED said:

@Omaare they collecting pollen, can you see what colour it is in their corbiculae? Which variety is this, Papaver orientale (Oriental Poppy) perhaps...I’m wondering if it has dark pollen, one source shows it yields either black, black grey, charcoal coloured pollen. Another source shows the pollen as mid grey with a slight blue cast.:42_confused: Any direct observation would help me get it close to correct. No hurry, just if you notice by chance. 

Papaver rhoeus ( Field, Corn, Flanders, common poppy) has pollen that seems to be a dark navy/slate tone according to Kirk.... I have the truncated 2010 version of Kirk ‘Pollen ID Cards’.

Some internet sources are a bit hit n miss showing the real colour. I’ll have more accurate references next week.

2E9C46AA-8904-4FB4-B9F0-56DD5272DFB9.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoED said:

@Omaare they collecting pollen, can you see what colour it is in their corbiculae? Which variety is this, Papaver orientale (Oriental Poppy) perhaps...I’m wondering if it has dark pollen, one source shows it yields either black, black grey, charcoal coloured pollen. Another source shows the pollen as mid grey with a slight blue cast.:42_confused: 

Hi @GoED will certainly do some close up observation to see what coloured pollen is being collected.  The bees prize poppy pollen greatly as can be seen by their frantic activity to get their share.  I always imagine there might be some opioid effect that makes it so sort after.  I plant a fair chunk of my garden in them especially as there is a dearth round here in November before the flow starts. Unfortunately I just collect the seed from year to year so not entirely sure of the variety.  I might still have a receipt from when I brought the seeds from kings originally will see what I can find.  Won’t be able to get back to you till after the weekend.  The pollen collected by this bumble bee shows similarities to the colours of mid grey/blue

CA8CADE2-7F92-43AA-9E12-648F99C07C2D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oma said:

The bees prize poppy pollen greatly as can be seen by their frantic activity to get their share.  I always imagine there might be some opioid effect that makes it so sort after.

When I started paying attention to bees, I was amused at the collection style when it came to poppies. A bee would do about 4-5 circuits at speed in the stamen area, getting coated in pollen, then flying off...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I suppose it is better than alfalfa as I read that the flower shuts on the bees head once it enters the flower causing the bee to shake its head and therefore pollinating the plant, apparently one bee was stuck for 45 seconds struggling to get out. 

• Good Info 1

On 6/12/2018 at 3:05 PM, Oma said:

Hi @GoED will certainly do some close up observation to see what coloured pollen is being collected.  The bees prize poppy pollen greatly as can be seen by their frantic activity to get their share.  I always imagine there might be some opioid effect that makes it so sort after.  I plant a fair chunk of my garden in them especially as there is a dearth round here in November before the flow starts. Unfortunately I just collect the seed from year to year so not entirely sure of the variety.  I might still have a receipt from when I brought the seeds from kings originally will see what I can find.  Won’t be able to get back to you till after the weekend.  The pollen collected by this bumble bee shows similarities to the colours of mid grey/blue

CA8CADE2-7F92-43AA-9E12-648F99C07C2D.jpeg

I have the same kind in my garden, I bought a pottle of plants from Growers direct, they must use Kings seeds since we are all in the same western bay region. All mine have yellow stamens, I missed out on the ones with the charcoal coloured stamens. Looks like we both got the Shirley Summer Mix.

• Like 1