My new (progressive lens) Glasses are great for finding Queens

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it happened to a hobby bk (the queens not the glasses).

Would anyone recommend to split the hive into two nuc's then to wait and see?

The supersedure could be because the old one is failing, or it could be that you've just done a split with zero risk.

If either queen is a dud it is easy to recombine having eliminated the dud.

If neither is a dud depending on who is the best performer you might recombine accordingly and donate the spare queen to someone who needs one.

Worst case is that they do yet another supersedure and you pick up a third queen in a month or two (?).

Edited by Guest
[ATTACH=full]18176[/ATTACH]

a little bit unusual to find sister queens this time of the year but here they are.

I've seen three Q's in a hive that have over wintered, but only once. Two Q's is quite common in commercial opps that requeen with cells in the autumn

The supersedure could be because the old one is failing, or it could be that you've just done a split with zero risk.

If neither is a dud depending on who is the best performer you might recombine accordingly and donate the spare queen to someone who needs one.

Worst case is that they do yet another supersedure and you pick up a third queen in a month or two (?).

Yep. That is what I always do. However, it is too early in the season for me to make any splits.

Nope.

I wouldn't do that.

One of them is likely no good, I usually squash the old one or leave them to it.

However, it is too early in the season for me to make any splits.

When I found them I briefly considered splitting or removing one queen but being too early in the season for any new queens I decided the bees knew best and left them as they were.

• Like 1

fair enough. My thinking in hobbyist-world was that I wouldn't need a new queen (you already have two) so dividing them into two nucleus colonies just keeps the two queens apart if there was enough bees and resources from a strong hive. As a beginner/hobbyist I'm not going to take bets on who is the best queen or which one goes swimming in meths. Once the best one is identified it is easy enough to bring them back together with the good queen.. Knowing my luck, the younger queen could be a poorly mated and would fail as soon as mum was gone.

Anyway, it is not a beginner thread, so sorry for the distraction.

I think there is a reason for 2 queens in that hive, the hive has obviously superceded their queen but also decided to keep her alive. No brood break, everything keeps ticking along until everyone is sure the new queen is laying and doing a good job. It is a no-risk supercedure scenario in my opinion, I wouldn't mess with that.

As for the progressive lenses, it is a bit like all things that can do multiple things at once, they are not really designed to do one thing particularly well. If I want to see something detailed very well I will chose a good pair of reading glasses over progressives any time. It pays to get a good pair of readers when you get to my age ;-)

Edited by Guest

As for the progressive lenses, it is a bit like all things that can do multiple things at once, they are not really designed to do one thing particularly well. If I want to see something detailed very well I will chose a good pair of reading glasses over progressives any time. It pays to get a good pair of readers when you get to my age ;)

The Idea of the progressive lens for beekeeping is put them on before the veil gets zipped up and then work the apiary. I have reading glasses for the computer and newspaper and you are correct they are much better for that purpose.

• Like 1
I think there is a reason for 2 queens in that hive, the hive has obviously superceded their queen but also decided to keep her alive. No brood break, everything keeps ticking along until everyone is sure the new queen is laying and doing a good job. It is a no-risk supercedure scenario in my opinion, I wouldn't mess with that.

As for the progressive lenses, it is a bit like all things that can do multiple things at once, they are not really designed to do one thing particularly well. If I want to see something detailed very well I will chose a good pair of reading glasses over progressives any time. It pays to get a good pair of readers when you get to my age ;)

I knew you were older than you looked!:rolleyes::whistle:

Edited by Guest