Lessons learnt today...

1, stings to inner nose hurt.

2, minutes later hit/sting to between cheekbone and eye hurt more and longer.

3, take notice of the warnings, prior to the stings had already had 2 or 3 hit me in the face without the sting. Put hood on when you get warned

4, maybe always wear hood.

5, it was windy today, maybe that’s why my normally placid bees were a bit uptight.

6, as an upside after a wee bit of swelling under the eye my wife reckons forget Botox, get Beetox.

Looking at brood, it seems queeny is gearing up. Going away in a few weeks for 3 weeks, got to decide wether to try my 1st split before I go or add another brood box and wait till I return, probably safer to wait.

GPTempDownload.jpg.9486abb6290083bb10884357a619c033.jpg

GPTempDownload.jpg.9390be4f3c54985353933eb5ba3f3896.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

never, ever, surely  

Posted Images

i started using a veil regularly after a bee crawled up my nose and stung me.

you'll look at number 3 in that list and laugh at yourself one day if you don't go with number 4 in that list..

I'm going to quote some experienced beekeepers who laughed at total beginner me when i told them i didn't use a veil a few years back: "ah, well, let us know how that goes for you. In the meantime, at least wear sunglasses. A sting to the eye will blind you."

regarding your split plan - leave it until you're back. In the meantime make sure that the bees have plenty of stores on, raising brood uses up stores fast if the weather turns and the bees can't bring nectar in

Edited by Guest

I often dont where a veil/suit in summer. If it is a quiet yard, the weather is perfect and I have time it is very enjoyable..... But the suit is always on the bonnet of the truck. If your inclined to go suitless one of those head only veils might be a good idea. To this day I have only had once face sting while beeking without a veil.

I'll only go suitless October to February, I get more stings in the truck then I get beekeeping most of the time, sometimes it doesn't matter if your wearing a veil, the real crotchety bees will follow you and wait until you take it off :rofl:

This is a bit of an interesting time of year to not be wearing a suit, it's too cool, and there's few flowers and no flow yet.

The bees are usually not too stoked to see the beekeeper at this time of year.

They'll be happy to see you in about a month :)

I got a real goody smack bang in the middle of my forehead, swelled up pretty good, I looked like some freaky alien and my eyes were almost swelled shut, but don't have any reaction whatsoever now other then dropping the f bomb when I get an armpit sting

• Like 3

The OP is a beginner and I would recommend that all beginners use good protection - I would think that that fear of bees and their stings does not help bee keeping style and pace, and may lead to giving up the hobby.

Then demonstrate courage etc. later on. Or not ...

• Like 2

Don't make any splits until there are a decent amount of drones about which in most areas will be at least the start of September. As for not wearing a veil, the bees at this time of year are mostly old having lived right through the winter and that doesn't improve their temper. There is a lot of debate over whether these old winter bees have more venom or not but I don't think there's any doubt that those first few stings of the spring for whatever reason hurt a lot more. I used to work with beekeepers who wouldn't wear gloves even on a bad day and I have seen them brushing stings out like brushing off fine sawdust from their hands. A few stings don't do you any harm but that many eventually comes back to haunt them.

Nice looking brood , but no 'rainbow' of food around it .

Keep an eye on them for stores. They may run out with all that brood coming on .

No rush to split. It just weakens the hive and is counter productive .

As for the no veil thing , pretty much everyone learns the hard way ;):rofl:

Thanks all, I’ll hold off on the split like all are suggesting, I think feed maybe ok they have carried 10 frames of capped honey in box above since summer.

I think I’ll keep veil handy from now on, didn’t realise they had seasonal moods, figured it was just cause of the wind... so much too learn.

Awesome having a site like this, with people that have much more knowledge and happy to share.

• Like 2

Interesting article. We have discussed the worst place to get stung before and I agree with Mr Smith that under the nose is the worst I've ever had but my father maintains that the tongue is the worst. It's probably the only place I haven't been stung. Stings on the skull aren't too bad but they always seem to give me a headache. Over the years I have had the odd be inside my ear canal but fortunately I have never been stung there. I've always wondered what it would be like but not enough to try it.

• Like 3
Interesting article. We have discussed the worst place to get stung before and I agree with Mr Smith that under the nose is the worst I've ever had but my father maintains that the tongue is the worst. It's probably the only place I haven't been stung. Stings on the skull aren't too bad but they always seem to give me a headache. Over the years I have had the odd be inside my ear canal but fortunately I have never been stung there. I've always wondered what it would be like but not enough to try it.

I have been stung there-not as bad as nose but still very unpleasant...

I had a feisty unit sting me on the chin through my veil as my chin was touching the veil - felt cheated!! My girls teased me mercilessly as I had some sort of cartoon character chin sticking out a mile.

Wore thin gloves for better handling on the weekend and stung 3x in 10 seconds as soon as I lifted the board - very grumpy!

IMG_0324.JPG.33331dc38159e953210f224f90cf9608.JPG

Edited by Guest