jamesc

Irrigation

I can't wait till I get to have a good look around up there, we hope to spend next winter travelling around seeing as much as possible and hopefully doing some fishing all around the place

• Like 4

I can't wait till I get to have a good look around up there, we hope to spend next winter travelling around seeing as much as possible and hopefully doing some fishing all around the place

If it's fishing you are after Hauhora harbour is the place, half an hour north of Kaitaia.

Come see me :D I know a few good spots

• Like 1

Someone told me that when you travel in the North Island there's heaps of towns between the main centres is this right?

How sad is it that I haven t seen the NI yet :( it actually seems like a whole different country.

Most of the time. But they're small, some of them used to be bigger but a lot of places have no jobs now so are shrinking.

The whole world is drifting into town .

I wonder if people will every come back into the country .

She lives 200 miles away.:)

That is so north island to think we all live within a few miles of each other.:lol

Quite the opposite. I find driving in the South Island rather sparse. Takes so long to get anywhere. Encourages me to speed :mask:

Quite the opposite. I find driving in the South Island rather sparse. Takes so long to get anywhere. Encourages me to speed :mask:

Have you driven round aus.

They laugh at us when I say 100klm between settlements is a long way.

That's how far they drive for a party, and back for an early start at work

Have you driven round aus.

They laugh at us when I say 100klm between settlements is a long way.

That's how far they drive for a party, and back for an early start at work

Yes, been there. I got all excited that we were going sea fishing the next day. Left early. Home late. Spent more time towing the boat there and back than we spent on the water. Great fishing but crazy how far they consider is a normal commute.

@kaihoka that brings back a lot of memories of my time in WA ...a mate an I use to drive 300kms jus to get a feed of red rooster chicken...if u wanted maccas,dirt rd 350 kms,tarseal 600 kms.
  • Like 2

its kind a funny how it only took 1 page of comments to already be over the environmental impact of humans. and to be talking about travel.:)

its kind a funny how it only took 1 page of comments to already be over the environmental impact of humans. and to be talking about travel.:)

Yeah, nah. It's still festering in the background. Taking the mickey from our Aussie cousins is light relief. If they had more sheep then maybe they wouldn't need to drive such great distances.

Water in Aussie is super scarce in places. There must be examples of good water management there somewhere.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Yeah, nah. It's still festering in the background. Taking the mickey from our Aussie cousins is light relief. If they had more sheep then maybe they wouldn't need to drive such great distances.

Water in Aussie is super scarce in places. There must be examples of good water management there somewhere.

Do they do de-salinisation at all?

I've always thought that was really interesting.

@nab I think most of us are quite environmentally friendly on here.

I try my best. I've planted thousands of native trees in the last 5 years so I'm feeling ok about my footprint.

Yeah, nah. It's still festering in the background. Taking the mickey from our Aussie cousins is light relief.

From what I saw Aussie water management is just as poor as anywhere. The Murry river basin is badly salinated due to Irrigation.

• Like 1

Yup ,some nice people,weather and surfcasting around the EBOP !

Australia's chief contribution to water management seems to be the water saving shower head.

To compensate for the fact there's so little water coming out the pressure is increased till if functions somewhere between a water blaster and a sand blaster .

It takes off the dirt and top layer of skin .

Do they do de-salinisation at all?

I've always thought that was really interesting.

@nab I think most of us are quite environmentally friendly on here.

I try my best. I've planted thousands of native trees in the last 5 years so I'm feeling ok about my footprint.

I am fortunate I can watch the higher power grow all my natives from seeds in the ground while I sit on my deck.:)

• Like 1

I am fortunate I can watch the higher power grow all my natives from seeds in the ground while I sit on my deck.:)

I replanted two public hills in gisborne with a crew as part of a council contract and did a bit of other private planting too

• Like 2

From what I saw Aussie water management is just as poor as anywhere. The Murry river basin is badly salinated due to Irrigation.

I rest my case your honour

• Like 2

18 years penal servitude. Stand down. The goodies are not allowed to win! You know that already though......:confused:

It was a few years ago now but I saw a citrus orchard on the Murray Basin where half was fine and the other half was stone dead because there wasn't enough water to go round and then a few mile down the road there were kilometre after kilometre of new almond . Plantations so someone was getting some water. We camped beside the mighty Murray in a few places and it was neither large or particularly clean looking but I guess it's the best they have got. One thing I do know about irrigation is that I have never seen any honey of irrigated Dairyland.

• Like 3

What you need is to stop trying to get anywhere. It just leads to trouble & stress.

• Like 2

What you need is to stop trying to get anywhere. It just leads to trouble & stress.

My main gripe these days is too many wheels. Fewer wheels equals less stress :cool:

Edited by Guest

i wounder when the tipping point will come.

on one hand we do not want to do damage the environment in any way, and on the other hand we dont wont to see people go hungry with lack of food. it takes a lot of resources to keep the world feed. if we all went organic some people would miss out, who gets to make that call.

the way i see it there is going to be some really tense times in the next 100 years or so.

i am a environmentalist at heart just not the loopy left kind, i dont think that virtue signaling is going to get us anywhere.

• Like 1

Have to agree @nab in part at least. I would shorten it to less than the 100. If sea levels rise as anticipated or even half that a lot of the heavily populated delta areas will see millions of people looking for somewhere else to live! Warfare erupts over much less.

As for feeding the worlds current population, that is possible now if there was the political/social will everywhere. There is not of course and will probably never be within the current regimes.

The world is fiddling as it burns in my opinion. There are voices in the wilderness so to speak but most seem to want to pretend nothing is happening and/or are just too plain busy trying to hold house & home together. Massive change is needed and is unlikely to happen unless it is forced on us all.

If we keep farming the way we are now or keep supporting the status quo then there is going to be very little land that will produce anything worth eating.