Cyathea

Jarring honey, uncreamed

We are currently jarring our honey, most of it is creamed. We want to offer raw honey for sale as well, but the company who is currently jarring for us does not have the facility to do this for us.

Does anyone have a contact of anyone who can jar commercial quantities of raw honey in an RMP premises, preferably upper half of Nth Island.

Thanks

• Like 1

sounds odd.

you simply don't cream it. easy as.

Don't you have to heat treat and ultra filter to ensure it doesn't granulate? Wanting it for squeezy bottles

Don't you have to heat treat and ultra filter to ensure it doesn't granulate? Wanting it for squeezy bottles

its generally not regarded as "raw honey" if you do that. your probably going to receive some abuse if you sell ultra filtered heat treated honey as "raw honey".

raw honey is just basic filtered and put in the pot. real raw honey should not have any filtering.

so much of whats out there is BS marketing.

if you want liquid honey that doesn't set then you need to run it through a flash heating plant.

Yeah my mistake shouldn't have said raw honey I mean't runny honey. So yeah need someone with the setup to heat etc..

Not going to sell it as raw honey, that was just my way of saying uncreamed, going to be sold as runny honey.

• Like 1

Only some honey types are suitable for liquid honey and even then most of them will granulate (coarsely) after time so you have a limited shelf life compared to creamed or granulated honey

• Like 1

Give fiona at <Content removed> in new plymouth a call

She may be able to help

• Like 1

@Santa could you private message me that info please?

This is some of my honey I extracted at home jus before Christmas,still clear and runny with no sign of crystalization.I'm guessing rewarewa?wattle ?maybe...definitely no pohutukawa or kanuka as that honey has gone hard.IMG_20170801_184221.jpg.1bd92517936abf2859abacc04ff8b729.jpg

IMG_20170801_184221.jpg.1bd92517936abf2859abacc04ff8b729.jpg

This is some of my honey I extracted at home jus before Christmas,still clear and runny with no sign of crystalization.I'm guessing rewarewa?wattle ?maybe...definitely no pohutukawa or kanuka as that honey has gone hard.[ATTACH=full]18135[/ATTACH]

What did you filter the honey with? I find the home extracted honey that I filter through two layers of mutton cloth doesn't crystalise at all. It filters out a lot of pollen I think, hence there is very little in the way of solids for the sugars to hang on to.

I filter through two layers of mutton cloth doesn't crystalise at all. It filters out a lot of pollen I think,

no, pollen is way finer than what a mutton cloth will remove.

biggest factor is what honey it is.

Speed of granulation is to do primarily with the different ratios of sugar but that is about as deep as my knowledge goes. Blue borage and clover are two of the better honeys for liquid but I really only know a few good ones and a few bad ones. Apart from comb honey I've always been more interested in producing honey than packing and marketing.

Raw and pure are two of my pet hates as all honey in New Zealand should be uncooked and unadulterated. Any advertising that implies your opposition's honey is in some way inferior doesn't do any of us any good. I have seen raw honey that did include raw elements such as bees legs so I guess technically they have a point.

• Like 1

@dansar no filter mate ,jus a couple $5 sieves from warehouse on top of the bucket.I'm going to get testing for identity as well as toot this season so I know what the kaupapa is for this area.
  • Like 1

@dansar no filter mate ,jus a couple $5 sieves from warehouse on top of the bucket.I'm going to get testing for identity as well as toot this season so I know what the kaupapa is for this area.

Looks like my Pasture honey with a mix of nectars. Have you looked in to the costs associated with identifying the honey? Clover can vary from white to amber depending on the area and/or the season.

Have you looked in to the costs associated with identifying the honey?

Down here last year it was about $65.00 for pollen count. I bought a book and a microscope but there's more skill in working a microscope than I thought, and it's rarely seen the light of day.

Edited by Guest

Down here last year it was about $65.00 for pollen count. I bought a book and a microscope but there's more skill in working a microscope than I thought, and it's rarely seen the light of day.

@glynn is in the market for a microscope...

This is some of my honey I extracted at home jus before Christmas,still clear and runny with no sign of crystalization.I'm guessing rewarewa?wattle ?maybe...definitely no pohutukawa or kanuka as that honey has gone hard.[ATTACH=full]18135[/ATTACH]

I might have some similar, I think it might be some sort of red gum but I really have no clue. It could be so many things lol

I guess pollen count, with the exception of Manuka/Kanuka is really the only way to know. Even then I think some pollens are categorised in families so it can be hard to know just exactly what you have. Observing what is about at the season gives a bit of an indication too.

The crystallising business has been rapid for me over all sites including what really should be pasture/clover. I think it is the Fructose/Sucrose mix. High Fructose (glucose?) granulates faster I think.

Isn't it wonderful @Daley just what seemingly anyone (not subject to MPI) but us (the producers) can say about NZ honeys? Just been bottling up some 21 too but must try the the real deal, Honey Dew should be the rage and at least worth as much as 21 if the site is to be believed!

Isn't it wonderful @Daley just what seemingly anyone (not subject to MPI) but us (the producers) can say about NZ honeys? Just been bottling up some 21 too but must try the the real deal, Honey Dew should be the rage and at least worth as much as 21 if the site is to be believed!

I didn't actually read that hahaha I was trying to figure out what @Phil46's honey was :D

Can't believe everything you read on the internet :rofl:

Yeah anyone's guess as to the makeup of my honey above...if I get lucky again this season before Chrissy ,I'll get the batch id'd...call it ' Bitsa Honey '!

I have a batch that is quite yellow, incredibly fruity tasting to the point I sniff it and have wondered about fermentation. Seems it isn't fermenting as the previous years remnants are pretty much the same as. My taste buds say Fejoia & I don't know what else. Citrus maybe.

The site has a lot of Fejoia & Banksia planted. Just rural pasture beyond that. Would love to know just what it's make up is.