August 2017 Apiary Diary

Been seeing lots of capped drone brood in the hives closer to town wattle flower seems to give them a good kick just before the willows flower. Not long to go now till it's grafting time. Singles are getting another box as they grow some doubles need a box as well but most still have room. Still early

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a while.... Strips went into the 3 hives on 30/7, when we had a fine spell and Himself was around to lug the heavy supers. It was very pleasing to see capped Brood in all 3 hives.

Getting the plums off to a good start 

Went through my home hive today to get an idea of the stores and where brood is located for varroa strips on 1st Sep . It is doing ok , there seem to be plenty of bees. The queen is laying i

Posted Images

I don't worry about wax contamination but I do worry about dyslexia which means that I don't notice when I write down apistan instead of apivar which of course makes nonsense of what I wright occasionally. I have never used Apistan because of its high levels of contamination.

can hook you up with some free bees in dunedin if you end up less discouraged

flick me a pm. I'm down weekend of september 9 so we can likely sort something then

Thank you so much.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3
Chatham Islanders eat Weka but we cannot eat them in Mainland New Zealand

If anyone is interested in a sweepstake, I'll put my 50c on "salty and chewy" (best suited to a slow cooker).

Edited by Guest
If anyone is interested in a sweepstake, I'll put my 50c on "salty and chewy" (best suited to a slow cooker).

i have eaten weka stew.

it has to be cooked a long time .

its quite strong and tough. a bit like black swan.

Made my gear orders for the season yesterday, no doubt I'll need much more:what: Bayvarol treatment planned to go into the hives in about 3 weeks. Haven't opened the hives for a while but have seen them bringing in heaps of pollen. Last time I opened the hives (about a month ago) I added some dry raw sugar just to keep them going. The single FD Box was full of bees, the double FD Box also had a good population. The NUC was down to about 2 frames of bees but still looking sustained. Will open them up soon and do sugar shakes to figure out the mite load in the near future!

• Like 1
Whether you were going diving was my next question :)

Yes scuba tommorrow for 3000 baht/person. Only time we enjoy getting in sea water is in the tropics. We bring our own prescription goggles. Getting sun burn with a few days of snokelling already.

Shot out to some remote sites and got stuck in the mud.

Walked 7 or 8 kms out to the road.

Trucks still in the mud.

Usually I have load binders to winch with not this time.

You and me both. I got the vehicle and trailer stuck today and then the rescue tractor got stuck. Eventually got the tractor out but left the rest up there.....wife unimpressed with the hour long drive after work to get me....made sure I retrieved smoker and hive tool so will be back at it tomorrow. :bee:

You and me both. I got the vehicle and trailer stuck today and then the rescue tractor got stuck. Eventually got the tractor out but left the rest up there.....wife unimpressed with the hour long drive after work to get me....made sure I retrieved smoker and hive tool so will be back at it tomorrow. :bee:

I called my wife and she gave me a 2 hour head start by foot and arrived with a beer.

The beer could have been colder though

• Like 1
Shot out to some remote sites and got stuck in the mud.

Walked 7 or 8 kms out to the road.

Trucks still in the mud.

Usually I have load binders to winch with not this time.

Will you need a tractor to get it out.

Rain all next week on and off.

Last August we had 50mls for the month.

This August 86mls already