Rob Stockley

August 2017 Apiary Diary

Do you ever extract that honey or is it all used by bees?

No never, I only do one extraction before the end of summer or start of autumn.

There's a dearth after willow sometimes and a few dearths in some places so have to be careful when the numbers pop, good in some areas for kind of staggering swarming, all my sites are at pretty random heights and micro climates so it's taken a while to guess right, it's risky to take any honey too soon.

There is lots of tree Lucerne flowering in our area.

I struggle to grow it, being a legume it is not partial to clay.

And the pigeons keep it permanently dwarfed, and then there's the sheep :(

• Like 1

Yesterday was the first warm day since autumn, being a nice 14 degrees. Was totally bummed out that I couldn't have a proper look at my hives as I was at work, but it looks like the weekend is going to be nice and warm so I'm aiming to give each hive a good check then. Pussy willow is starting to bud up nicely, hellebours are flowering profusely and even the crocuses are putting on a good show -spring is on it's way. :D

• Like 2

The willows are starting to show colour we have a site close to Christchurch that starts with wattles then pussy willows followed by willows then pasture if the norwests don't burn it up, hives hit the ground running down there at home it's a slow march through the year. I'm hoping for some linden honey this year fingers crossed

• Like 2

There is lots of tree Lucerne flowering in our area.

I struggle to grow it, being a legume it is not partial to clay.

And the pigeons keep it permanently dwarfed, and then there's the sheep :(

I feel your pain

I feel your pain

I was talking to a friend in another part of golden bay who said the wekas had made it back to his area.

Do you have wekas?

We are still free of them luckily .

We are inundated with wekas , can't get rid of them quick enough!

Yep, have big one & three fuzzys working our compost right now.

We are inundated with wekas , can't get rid of them quick enough!

My condolences:(

There are people who like them, generally people who do not have to live with them.

And even people who say how they like having them around eventually tell you about all the annoying things the wekas have just done at their place.

Yep, have big one & three fuzzys working our compost right now.

Are you one of these people who like having them around ? :lol

Yes. Once the spud/kumara patch is fenced, and they've given up on tulip mining, they're a bundle of laughs. The cat chases the chook who chases the weka who chases the cat...

Yes. Once the spud/kumara patch is fenced, and they've given up on tulip mining, they're a bundle of laughs. The cat chases the chook who chases the weka who chases the cat...

Yes you are right they are clowns and they can be very entertaining but on balance I am pleased to be free of them and are not looking forward to their return .

Pelted down here for last 24 hrs ,checked the rain gauge and we have had 112 mm in last 24 hrs

Plenty of mud and most paddocks have surface flooding

Pelted down here for last 24 hrs ,checked the rain gauge and we have had 112 mm in last 24 hrs

Sounds like home.

This winter ," not likely to get stuck there " off road areas have reduced by 80%.

Half Depth honey comb boxes are full of clover and just need finishing capping , then will be off

[ATTACH=full]16230[/ATTACH]

Are you going to set up for this again @M4tt?

I was talking to a friend in another part of golden bay who said the wekas had made it back to his area.

Do you have wekas?

We are still free of them luckily .

No wekas at our place. I don't think they are too keen on clay hillsides.

No wekas at our place. I don't think they are too keen on clay hillsides.

Maybe that's why they left our place years ago .:lol

• Like 1

Are you going to set up for this again @M4tt?

I've got quite a bit in the freezer , so possibly I'll skip a year . This lot needs eating fairly quickly once it's at room temp as it crystallises and loses its appeal

That like us in wanganui

But masterton was dry today the river were clean

hey guys,

went to make up some syrup today and ants have got into my bulk sugar drum and also into the 25kg bags. I know ants have an acid in them, will the ants make the syrup unappealing or toxic to the bees? Anyone have experience here? Thanks!

Ants produce formic acid. (it was named after them I believe) You might end up with a new mite treatment, formic syrup...

Ants produce formic acid. (it was named after them I believe) You might end up with a new mite treatment, formic syrup...

Could you recommend a good ant killer .

All the floods in nelson have meant the ants nest that was under my mums house is now moved into her kitchen.

Could you recommend a good ant killer .

All the floods in nelson have meant the ants nest that was under my mums house is now moved into her kitchen.

Never had an ant problem

Papamoa has a lot of ant and cockroach issues, it is a giant sandpit here. We find that ground cinnamon spice from the kitchen repels them and haven't had to resort to anything stronger. Vaccuum up anything you can then sprinkle with a fine layer, maybe use a fine sieve. Actually, the same issue and solution comes up with hives and the same applies. The chooks gobble up the cockroaches like potato chips.

Cinnamon certainly works at keeping them at bay, they don't like to cross it I find.

There are 2 Fipronol type products I have seen Xterminator & a close cousin. Bit pricey but if they will take it that should see them off. Just check if they are bee safe though. Aunty google will find Xterminator for you.

Edited by Guest