Jaspur M

Syrup feeding tricks

Goodmorning fellow beekeepers, Im in the process of feeding my bees to help stimulate brood rearing and im finding a few that are simply ignoring the free food. I was wondering if there are any tricks out there to help get the bees on to the syrup? Most of the bees that are not taking the syrup are my doubles, the singles are making the most of it. I normaly dip a bit of syrup around the entrance to my top feeders(bee savertop feeder) to give them a taste but still no interest.

If they were my bees I'd be thinking they're telling me something....like too bloomin early for this lark..

Yep at the end of the day you can't make them take it up... side note it's hard work on the bees to process sugar... they will be trying to conservative their energy

Yesbut you maybe right but my singles are woofing it down, all my hives are carrying alot of stores too but im thinking theyre not touching it in my doubles because theyre not finding it. The beesaver top feeders iv found are hard to introduce feed to when bees are lower down in the boxes, if i was using frame feeders the syrup would likely be gone. Ive thought about going back to frame feeders but probably not ideal when feeding outside bee working hours.

Do they need a feed or is feeding the issue?

• Like 1

@Jaspur M I think your doubles are not that full of bees comparing to singles and they prefer(maybe) to stay in cluster/worm in these cold days and not moving so far for the food.

I use plastic bags with 600-1200ml syrup right on top of the frames and the bees will go for it immediately in singles and doubles too. My doubles are on double boxes because there are a lot of bees.

Plus one more thing. I have mesh floors and the bees like to be at the top(warmer area in the hive regardless of the single or double setup).

I would get some long grass stalks dip in syrup and run thru holes in top of feeder down to frames below...they found the sweet ladder eventually,this on both 2 box and single box hives.

Yesbut you maybe right but my singles are woofing it down, all my hives are carrying alot of stores too but im thinking theyre not touching it in my doubles because theyre not finding it. The beesaver top feeders iv found are hard to introduce feed to when bees are lower down in the boxes, if i was using frame feeders the syrup would likely be gone. Ive thought about going back to frame feeders but probably not ideal when feeding outside bee working hours.

I use frame feeders and don't have any issues - only feeding small amounts though just to get them fired up - about half a litre every 3 days or so. I do make sure I feed on warmish days 13 degrees plus.

How's their pollen supply's ?

Do they need a feed or is feeding the issue?

The bees arnt short of food , just want to stimulate brood rearing for spring splits

@Jaspur M I think your doubles are not that full of bees comparing to singles and they prefer(maybe) to stay in cluster/worm in these cold days and not moving so far for the food.

I use plastic bags with 600-1200ml syrup right on top of the frames and the bees will go for it immediately in singles and doubles too. My doubles are on double boxes because there are a lot of bees.

Plus one more thing. I have mesh floors and the bees like to be at the top(warmer area in the hive regardless of the single or double setup).

These bees went into winter at moderate strength with over a full box of bees and another filled with stores, reason for alot of food was in case we got a decent dumping of snow.

I use frame feeders and don't have any issues - only feeding small amounts though just to get them fired up - about half a litre every 3 days or so. I do make sure I feed on warmish days 13 degrees plus.

If weather was more predictable in my neck of the woods i would move to using frame feeders as i never have issues with bees using them. The benefit with beesaver top feeders are that i can feed anytime of day or night with out disturbing bees.I was curious if there were any tricks to encourage bees onto syrup thats all

How's their pollen supply's ?

Out of the 7 hives i checked today only one hive was low on pollen, it was a single with 9 out of 10 frames filled with bees, theyre one of the hives that smashed the syrup.They got a pollen pattie but should build up pollen if theres some warmer days. Their strength was rather suprising.

Might be a case of hurry up and wait... Winters still not over yet

Might be a case of hurry up and wait... Winters still not over yet

Trying to give my bees a head start

They don't want it.

• Like 1

If weather was more predictable in my neck of the woods i would move to using frame feeders as i never have issues with bees using them. The benefit with beesaver top feeders are that i can feed anytime of day or night with out disturbing bees.I was curious if there were any tricks to encourage bees onto syrup thats all

If you put in a frame feeder with a hole in the hive mat above the feeder you can feed day or night without opening the hive ,just take off the lid poke a funell in the hole and pour in a bit of syrup

• Like 1

And be carefull not to overfeed

Sometimes the bees know more than the keeper if it's not warm enough they will not take it do they have honey still ? Pushing them before they are ready often leads to weaker hives than non feed ones

If you put in a frame feeder with a hole in the hive mat above the feeder you can feed day or night without opening the hive ,just take off the lid poke a funell in the hole and pour in a bit of syrup

Thats a good idea i never thought of that, thanks Santa

sounds sensible. Does one use a dip stick to check levels and plug the hole with a cork afterward?

• Like 1

I got rid of my bee savers and filled the tray up with braken.

I have had bees ignore the syrup on a double hive with too few bees.

But once the bees know it's there even if the hive is small they make the journey up through a box to get the syrup.

They seem like all my other animals and are trained to regularly check out the feeding station

• Like 1

I got rid of my bee savers and filled the tray up with braken.

I have had bees ignore the syrup on a double hive with too few bees.

But once the bees know it's there even if the hive is small they make the journey up through a box to get the syrup.

They seem like all my other animals and are trained to regularly check out the feeding station

Yeah i think the issue is they havnt found it, i had the same issue in autumn but once they caught on they were away. I was hoping there was a trick to getting them interested thats all. Theyl find it eventually bees cant resist sugar

• Like 1

Yeah i think the issue is they havnt found it, i had the same issue in autumn but once they caught on they were away. I was hoping there was a trick to getting them interested thats all. Theyl find it eventually bees cant resist sugar

Do you think pouring a little down the holes in the feeder tray to get them started would help.

I have never tried that but I think I may in the future if the bees are slow to find the syrup.

Do you think pouring a little down the holes in the feeder tray to get them started would help.

I have never tried that but I think I may in the future if the bees are slow to find the syrup.

Yes, more like a few splashes . It works alright but the odd hive refuses syrup .

I like to start with just a little bit to see if they are interested. No point in a full dish of fermented yuk

Edited by Guest