Rob Stockley

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

Caught a large swarm 6m up a tree 4 weeks ago, and there are 8 frames just like this one, both sides, in the hive and the frames on either end are crammed full of honey and pollen. Top box put on 1 week ago, is about 20% drawn and full of nectar. Didn't spot the queen, but didn't need to...

5a1b500c9080e_Willem27-11-17.thumb.jpg.4787c51768a1d93e53fb5b3964d28a12.jpg

• Like 8

On 27/11/2017 at 12:08 PM, M4tt said:

Driving up the road a few days ago , I saw a swarm heading into a concrete cover in the ground next to a power pole . I pulled over and actually caught the queen , but had no gear with me . So I left them to it . 

Today I went back and retrieved them . It’s absolutely massive ( not) and there were grubs amongst the comb . 

I’ve brought them home and merged them with another swarm that had a drone laying queen 

A477616D-3EF4-4D21-B7E5-29E551DA5BC3.jpeg

And today she has been released from her cage and has been accepted by her new Bees, which is one and a half 3/4 boxes. She will be able to perform better now 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 3

@M4tt is that the comb they had built in only a few days. That is quite an effort for so few bees.

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt is that the comb they had built in only a few days. That is quite an effort for so few bees.

Yes. Three little rows of comb, full of eggs and grubs . Zero stores though . It seemed a very small swarm for a mated queen , but there you go . It’s from a kiwi fruit orchard with a heap of double box hives in there for pollination 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1

Picked this swarm up last evening, one fd 10 frame box was not enough for this lot. 

20171128_195504.jpg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, M4tt said:

Yes. Three little rows of comb, full of eggs and grubs . Zero stores though . It seemed a very small swarm for a mated queen , but there you go . It’s from a kiwi fruit orchard with a heap of double box hives in there for pollination 

Not sure that @M4tthas enough bees ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Over Worker said:

Picked this swarm up last evening, one fd 10 frame box was not enough for this lot. 

20171128_195504.jpg

Religious bees! Sounds like you gave them a cathedral.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Religious bees! Sounds like you gave them a cathedral.

You misunderstand them. It’s The Angel of The North.

• Like 2

Found this attached to the fence next my apiary. That's a quarter round light post.

20171204_125013-768x1365.thumb.jpg.a91a512b2a08fc397ddbb802cf3d9e01.jpg

I figured they must be an own goal but after a thorough search I couldn't find any hive looking even remotely like it could have lost 2FD of bees. Argh! That's more gear tied up with bees I don't need. @kaihoka you may as well chalk up another one. Once they settle they will be merged. 

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

Found this attached to the fence next my apiary. That's a quarter round light post.

I figured they must be an own goal but after a thorough search I couldn't find any hive looking even remotely like it could have lost 2FD of bees. Argh! That's more gear tied up with bees I don't need. @kaihoka you may as well chalk up another one. Once they settle they will be merged. 

Religious bees in your area too Rob...the one I had the other day I put into two boxes with some really manky frames, they cleaned them up and promptly filled them all with nectar leaving a couple of small patches for the queen to lay in.

Checked all hives on that site and none of them looked like they lost any bees.

Earlier swarms I've had this season that I had in nuc boxes I put all together in to a double fd hive and let them sort them selves out...is now a pumping honey machine. 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, Rob Stockley said:

I figured they must be an own goal but after a thorough search I couldn't find any hive looking even remotely like it could have lost 2FD of bees.

Check today confirms own goal. One of six of last summer's yellow marked queens. Removed all cells from source and merged with neighbour. 

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 + 1 -1......what an effort to stay under 20:8_laughing:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mummzie said:

1 + 1 -1......what an effort to stay under 20:8_laughing:

-3 to merging. Getting there slowly. 

• Like 1

First swarm this year for me, looked fairly small initially but they were deep into the bush and the homeowner didn’t want the bush cut at all - took a while - hope they stay put

745A2598-CF5F-434E-AC54-9B2865BC90C1.jpeg

5D35A6A2-AADF-4F5B-9151-4433ED5E126B.jpeg

• Like 6

I could have sworn my hive didn't swarm, but the pile of boxes near it now has bees and brood and nectar in it - a bit more than a strong nuc but not huge -  so somebody's hive swarmed. I must make another interesting-looking stack in the apiary, just in case.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

When does swarming season finish? Or can it continue all through summer. Specifically in South Canterbury where I am, as I am holding fading hopes of finding a swarm.

8 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I am holding fading hopes of finding a swarm.

I wouldn't be holding my breath either. The "season" is over once the flow starts. 

• Agree 1

Yep.  Last season it kept going until March.  This season is done and dusted.  I have put all the swarm gear away and starting to dust off the extraction equipment.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Had a whopping swarm out of one of my most productive hives yesterday and we have a full flow on here. I vertically split this hive twice in the spring! I think sometimes when conditions are really good and they are determined to go, they will no matter what we do. Fortunately I heard them swarming and managed to get them down from their landing place in the walnut tree and into a new hive. The hive they originated from currently has four supers on it.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Not a swarm capture report, but I'm on a road trip in the north island.

Today, while travelling in the back country I was surprised to find a small swarm on a DOC sign. There was a group of young german travellers who came over for a look. I explained briefly about these swarms.

(Hope these pics come thru, first time ever done on smartphone. )

Edit to add. Obviously there was nothing I could do about the swarm so left them to it.

20180112_112131.jpg

20180112_112152.jpg

20180112_112741.jpg

Edited by John T
Additional info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, John T said:

Not a swarm capture report, but I'm on a road trip in the north island.

Today, while travelling in the back country I was surprised to find a small swarm on a DOC sign. There was a group of young german travellers who came over for a look. I explained briefly about these swarms.

(Hope these pics come thru, first time ever done on smartphone. )

20180112_112131.jpg

20180112_112152.jpg

20180112_112741.jpg

Likely left overs from a honey super load?

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, dansar said:

Likely left overs from a honey super load?

more than likely. 

have had similar sized ones left on the gate post after stopping to open and shut gates.

Had a large swarm fly across my lawn this afternoon. Sounded like hail as they were smacking into the carport. I ran out following them across the back paddock, hoping they would park up in the group of old man pine trees on my boundary. Could not see or hear them so presume they kept on going. It was a good sized one too. Wifey thought it was hilarious that I was trying to round up a bee swarm, mainly because my wiltshire sheep thought they were being moved and were running after me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My wife has got good at grabbing the phone (camera on) when I do something particularly stupid. This weekends robbing fiasco being the most recent example. 

• Haha 1

I went and removed a small swarm from a tree today at the request of a neighbour . A fairly miserable cluster of about two baseballs . It might cover one and a half frames . 

Varroa absconsion  would be my guess 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1