Rob Stockley

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

2 hours ago, Qkrwogud said:

It's funny you say that, the neighbor to where this was keeps bees. The person that called me called their neighbor first and they responded "it's not my bees".

I wonder why he did not want them .

He could have got them first .

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I wonder why he did not want them .

He could have got them first .

Some people think that their bees do not swarm because they are too good as a beekeeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Some people think that their bees do not swarm because they are too good as a beekeeper.

None of my bees swarmed this year but I lost bees in other ways and there were penalties in swarm management .

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

This year is the first time I've had one of mine swarm. Guess I'm not too good as a beekeeper. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Rob Stockley said:

This year is the first time I've had one of mine swarm. Guess I'm not too good as a beekeeper. 

Yep.  I can understand that.  lol.

You will learn and loose a few more in years to come.  

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Qkrwogud do you ever think about the person who has just lost all their bees when you get a swarm like that .

Yes I must say when I saw Qkrwogud was from Auckland I did a double take. 

It would be interesting to know if the forum membership regarded themselves as "swarm creators" or "swarm catchers".

I suspect swarm catchers may be more popular.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

Yes I must say when I saw Qkrwogud was from Auckland I did a double take. 

It would be interesting to know if the forum membership regarded themselves as "swarm creators" or "swarm catchers".

I suspect swarm catchers may be more popular.

I’m sometimes a swarm creator, I always endeavour to catch my own swarms though when possible and I try my best to stop them leaving.

I think if we’re being honest most people are both

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Daley said:

I’m sometimes a swarm creator, I always endeavour to catch my own swarms though when possible and I try my best to stop them leaving.

I think if we’re being honest most people are both

Hah yes I've retrieved four I think this season of my own from trees etc around sites.  I'm not doing it so much now but for 

a couple of months the first thing I'd do when I got to a site was look around the trees...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

First year I had bees they swarmed and I caught it .

Next year I got carniolan queens and when they swarmed all the hatched queens would take off in different directions with a group of bees .

No chance of catching anything worthwhile.

Now I am back to Italians I expect to have a chance to catch the  swarm if I am around .

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CraBee said:

I'm not doing it so much now but for 

a couple of months the first thing I'd do when I got to a site was look around the trees...

thats actually a good thing to do.

no matter how good you are there is always times when bees just don't want to play ball.

then you also have the other issue that swarms from other beeks hives end up landing in your yard.

theres a few on here that have had that happen.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kaihoka said:

First year I had bees they swarmed and I caught it .

Next year I got carniolan queens and when they swarmed all the hatched queens would take off in different directions with a group of bees .

No chance of catching anything worthwhile.

Now I am back to Italians I expect to have a chance to catch the  swarm if I am around .

Maybe I am being a bit twee but how about planning so the hives don't swarm ?

Many ways to do it, and the result should be a good honey crop rather than a number of weak hives.

29 minutes ago, tudor said:

Maybe I am being a bit twee but how about planning so the hives don't swarm ?

Many ways to do it, and the result should be a good honey crop rather than a number of weak hives.

My hives never swarmed this spring 

Called yesterday to remove a small bumblebee nest from a garden makeover. A cluster of cells not much bigger than a tennis ball and 3-4 dozen bumbles. For not many insects they can make a lot of noise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Called yesterday to remove a small bumblebee nest from a garden makeover. A cluster of cells not much bigger than a tennis ball and 3-4 dozen bumbles. For not many insects they can make a lot of noise.

And they can get pretty angry when you try to move them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That’s excellent.

What’s in there with them?

I remember digging some up by accident one and the brood (right word?) were like little grayish marbles. Some had eyes. I was tiny and ran away squealing and never went to that part of the garden again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

Woohoo! Got a ripper of a prime swarm near ground level this afternoon.

I was stood in mitre10, arms full, when the call came in. Had no gear with me so bought a plastic trash can, a bungee and a piece of shade cloth. @Trevor Gillbanks would have been proud. 

Bees happy. Homeowner happy. Beekeeper happy :D

and the creep continues.....:IMG_0385:

• Haha 3

The small swarm didn’t even go in to a box. They huddled between two boxes, so last night I separated everything and found about 2 frames of bee, so they were transferred in to a 5 frame nuc box which is  currently sitting on the Ute until tonight when I will move them to new site.

• Like 1

Just collected a very small swarm, maybe an after swarm? What do people normally do with these?

tmp_11623-Screenshot_20171125-1311411784396714.jpg

House it in a nuc and stand back for a few weeks !

Driving up the road a few days ago , I saw a swarm heading into a concrete cover in the ground next to a power pole . I pulled over and actually caught the queen , but had no gear with me . So I left them to it . 

Today I went back and retrieved them . It’s absolutely massive ( not) and there were grubs amongst the comb . 

I’ve brought them home and merged them with another swarm that had a drone laying queen 

A477616D-3EF4-4D21-B7E5-29E551DA5BC3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1