New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Rob Stockley why did you shut up the nuc with cells for 48 hours.?

Because I can't move it far away. Closing it up for 48hrs and disrupting the entrance is intended to trigger reorientation.

If you do this then it should be kept cool and dark otherwise the bees will suffer. 

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a call from a land owner last evening saying there was a swarm in the grass next to a fence post two paddocks away from my hives, So I grabbed some gear and during the drive to the farm the drizzl

They seem pretty settled in their new home.

Only took me 3 days to figure out how to resize, but here it is 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Because I can't move it far away. Closing it up for 48hrs and disrupting the entrance is intended to trigger reorientation.

If you do this then it should be kept cool and dark otherwise the bees will suffer. 

I have been wondering how to manage nucs that I do not want to take down the road.

I am fortunate that I am surrounded by  power line access roads on doc lands so at pinch there is always somewhere to move them.

If I shut them up for a while before moving I put them in the back of the garage , somewhere cool .

Well yesterday I was playing tour guide to a couple of friends and happened to run into a lovely local gentleman with the biggest swarm I’ve ever caught, 4.3kg of bees. Also our first of the season. (Sorry no photo, I can’t figure out how to compress my file size down to meet 2mb limit)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RGreenhill said:

Well yesterday I was playing tour guide to a couple of friends and happened to run into a lovely local gentleman with the biggest swarm I’ve ever caught, 4.3kg of bees. Also our first of the season. (Sorry no photo, I can’t figure out how to compress my file size down to meet 2mb limit)

i am sure i have had photos over 2 mb  and they have uploaded

Edited by kaihoka
1 hour ago, RGreenhill said:

(Sorry no photo, I can’t figure out how to compress my file size down to meet 2mb limit)

Assuming you're on a relatively modern Windows computer:

1. Right click on the photo then click 'Edit' from the menu.
  2. When a new window pops up, click 'Resize' near the top left hand corner:
    image.png.3de4479ba5949b87d35e284ee931ea12.png
  3. Depending on how high quality the image is you can try reduce the image down to 50 or 30% and click ok.
    image.png.9791180ac8545d14dd50fcb5e5e53f9d.png
  4. Click file then save as from the top left hand corner:
    image.png.e68ef0385b7462da94761179cae02f06.png
  5. Then save it where you like, now you have a new copy of the photo that is much smaller in size so you can hopefully upload it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, redbee said:

Here is the largest and easiest swarm we have caught. One of my son's hives decided to swarm. He had just organised a lawnmowing service. The guy was happy to mow near the hives. He rang my son to say he was surprised just how many bees were flying that day. Son got home and saw this up the tree. Didn't even need a ladder

it was lucky your son got his own bees back

• Agree 1

I’ve had another look . My queen is still laying . There is Api life var in the hive because they sugar shaked 5 mites three days ago. There is now just as many bees in there as before I took half away and there are a fair few under the ventilated floor. 

I think @Merk posted a pic of a hive a few years back where a swarm had added to the masses 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I’ve had another look . My queen is still laying . There is Api life var in the hive because they sugar shaked 5 mites three days ago. There is now just as many bees in there as before I took half away and there are a fair few under the ventilated floor. 

I think @Merk posted a pic of a hive a few years back where a swarm had added to the masses 

That's very cool, I've not seen that.  Your bees must have the genetic secret sauce to attract the swarm in.  Next step, become a Queen breeder :-)

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, CraBee said:

That's very cool, I've not seen that.  Your bees must have the genetic secret sauce to attract the swarm in.  Next step, become a Queen breeder :-)

That hive has a white queen who is on the way out. I’d left a supercedure cell in there , so my first thought was they were swarming from that . But no , the cell is still capped and the queen is still laying a bit . 

If I hadn’t seen it , imagine my surprise opening a hive with a poor queen with double the bees ?

• Like 3