Rob Stockley

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

26 minutes ago, tristan said:

can you take a pic of it. would be interesting to see.

all i can think of is to give a big feed but water the syrup down to 1:1

weather forecast & the fact its not my hive means it will be a day or two before I can.

Thanks for the advice.

I had a hive swarm at home two weeks ago and landed on the fence post adjacent to the hive.  I managed to get them into a cardboard box and then into a hive.  They seemed to have settled down OK.  I thought I had managed them all properly as I had put a third box on ( all 3/4 ) but had an excluder between the top and second box.   The original hive swarmed again, not so big this time and landed in a Willow tree in the paddock next door.   I managed to collect that with a ladder and corflute nuc box.       I have read that some hives do swarm more than once, is there anything I should be looking for as there are no queen cells in the hive and I couldn't find a queen?    There are plenty of bees still in the hive with three boxes, plenty of flowers on our two acres and we are surrounded by 4,0000 acres of sheep and beef farm.

Brian

Have a closer look, virgin queens are sneaky, fast moving little critters! Also the bees will hide cells in all the crevices. They can be on any frame in the hive.

Once they start this sort of behaviour the need to be encouraged to stay home by providing them with little incentive to leave home. If you have good comb give the queen some to lay into. Put on a super to give them some work to do.

Give them plenty of room. Check every ten days for cells otherwise they could go again.

Thanks Bron do you think I should leave the excluder off between the second and third boxes and have three (3/4) boxes for brood?

It depends on what you want to happen with your bees this year. 

Do you have two hives? It is commonsense to head in this direction as it means you can support one with the other. Sharing resources when in need, after inspecting each first. If this is your goal then I'd be working towards using three or four boxes no excluder. Once these are brimming with bees and stores you could take a split easily. You need to split strong hives, and make a four frame split (take the frames packed around the brood with honey)  keeping the parent hive strong. It's a gear outlay, but it solves problems you could encounter later on.

if you want to make honey, and don't want or need another hive then pop the excluder between box two and three. You'll still need to check for cells every ten days or so. If you have surplus honey lift a frame above the excluder checking throughly for your queen first.

all the very best for the season.

Thanks Bron much appreciated.  I now have six hives as I had three to begin with.  One has been quite weak and I am planning to requeen that one.  I had just returned home with a queen for a split of the hive that swarmed on the same day as I picked up the queen.  I completed a split anyway and that seems to be thriving as does the hive that swarmed.   So courtesy of the two swarms and one split I now have six hives (two unplanned).    All the very best for the season to you too.

@BJC it's a slippery slope this beekeeping lark, should have warnings posted, may be addictive, we started with one, it's a bit of an obsession now. Sounds like you've got it well sorted then. 

We're so lucky we found the bees, they make us happy every day. As himself tells our farmer friends, "It beats working for a living!". They think we're crazy... Making a living from small stinging insects dependant on another inch long insect that we spend most days looking for, or looking for evidence of!

time to make a picnic and then get ready for another long day. Most of the teams off feeding pollination hives. Gotta move some bees for us tonight so it's gonna bee a long day. Packing for lunch and dinner. About 350 km trip by the time we've picked up and dropped off. Taking some girls to have a lovely beach holiday from the country!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, M4tt said:

Some hives are just rubbish at drawing comb in a tidy manner . Some hives will strip wax off plastic frames and never draw them properly . 

While others draw perfectly evertime. 

Ive seen them strip wax , but I don’t have a ‘why’ 

do you take ability to draw wax into account when breeding queens.

if you use plastic frames it would be quite important.

There's bees in my firebox, I think I'll act like this is not happening until @Daley& himself get back from feeding the poly hives! Not what I planned for my day... Don't suppose it matters what pickle I put in the sandwiches now!:IMG_0385:

silly beeses!

• Haha 2

Thought I should check, our lounge has very high ceiling on basement garage. The firebox is humming, it's a bit weird. Botheration!image.thumb.jpeg.612a2314ce3758a64b195c34a080f89d.jpeg

• Haha 2

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ???

not my house = not my problem ???

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Daley said:

That sounds very supportive

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daley said:

It’s just another swarm to collect and helping a damsel in distress. 

4 minutes ago, Hector Wong said:

and helping a damsel in distress. 

Who's obviously got plenty of free time if she mucks about making soap when Sunlight's less than 60 c cake. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Who's obviously got plenty of free time if she mucks about making soap when Sunlight's less than 60 c cake. 

Theres soap and then there’s Daley’s creations, 

I won’t buy another shop bought soap now that I’ve tried @Daley

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I won’t buy another shop bought soap now that I’ve tried @Daley

Why ?

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Because @Daley makes the best soap It’s completely different to the bought stuff.

There’s a designated “The soapers thread” on the forum.

Edited by Beefriendly

On 10/24/2017 at 8:14 PM, Mummzie said:

And does anyone have any suggestion why these girls seem to be making lace of their frames?

Not enough bees of the correct age to produce wax.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hector Wong said:

It’s just another swarm to collect and helping a damsel in distress. 

Haha @Bron‘s not a damsel unless it suits her ?

Yep I got them out.

They hadn’t fully moved in it fortunately it was about 30-40, scouts I’d say, because Dad had been burning excluder surrounds in the fire the other night and they thought it smelled like a nice new house.

I just opened the door and let them into the house and then lit some paper in the fire to chase any more away. (I should say no bees were harmed in the process)

I’d say if we’d just left them there would’ve been a full blown swarm in there when we got home.

Easy collection from a friends property in Cambridge. Got there at 6.40 this morning. Bees in box and on the way home at 6.50am. Good couple of kilos to fill out a 10 frame FD box.IMG_20171028_064621.thumb.jpg.1be4f584d7bf9bbe94a863cb73103a0a.jpg

IMG_20171028_064637.thumb.jpg.b1f11465a269729c8ac20a9f10fa74dd.jpg

IMG_20171028_074220.thumb.jpg.b459e131ac8bef5c85ca5485977d9bd2.jpg

• Like 7

I got a call this morning 8.30 am from my neighbor. They had a small swarm in their tree.

10 min later it was in a box.

20171028_085048.thumb.jpg.6884cdbce8b030d46a7f782465340846.jpg

• Like 4

Well I must be doing something clearly wrong as the same hive has just set off this morning and landed too high up in a Rhododendron tree to reach.   As I don't have a lot of drawn comb as only set up the hives late last season do you think despite adding another super there isn't enough room for the queen to expand her laying.   The previous swarms I captured and rehived are drawing  new combs very fast.  Thats three swarms from the same hive in 17 days.

Are you just putting undrawn comb into the hive. 

Are you feeding that hive. 

Are you looking for swarm cells.  

Have you got a more senior beekeeper around you that could have a look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1