Rob Stockley

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

18 hours ago, M4tt said:

Varroa absconsion  would be my guess 

Well how’s this for weird. It’s a real swarm with a virgin queen 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yep, that's beekeeping! Latest swarm I ever caught was March, (public relations) himself had flown out to Haiwaii to do a job & im in the basement jerry building a base, scrabbling about to make a lid. Those girls have a least 3 generations of babies (splits) since. 

I miss is the excitement of stuffing a swarm in the back of the trusty Corolla and chortling about free beeses!:IMG_0385:

• Like 6

Earlier today I was called to a swarm. Whaaaaat???? I was sure it is a wasp situation so I asked for more information. They sent me a pic. Upppps.

So I went to see them and it is the size of two fist full of bees. i spotted the queen in 30 sec however she hided herself quite fast.

They sit on a fence pole and I tried to dig for the queen. No success. Is look like they still have their mouth full with food, as they did not attack me. I do not have a smart phone so no pic.

8 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Earlier today I was called to a swarm. Whaaaaat???? I was sure it is a wasp situation so I asked for more information. They sent me a pic. Upppps.

So I went to see them and it is the size of two fist full of bees. i spotted the queen in 30 sec however she hided herself quite fast.

They sit on a fence pole and I tried to dig for the queen. No success. Is look like they still have their mouth full with food, as they did not attack me. I do not have a smart phone so no pic.

I think they are most likely to be a colony that has abandoned their hive due to varroa or wax moth rather than a reproductive swarm.

• Like 1

Yes @CraBee that is why I let them there. I do not want to combine them with any of my colonies. And they will not survive in a normal hive, FD or 3/4. They may cover almost half of one side of a FD frame. Maybe in a micro nuc sheltered in a warm place?

I was wondering how does the hive box look like.

You left them? Not tempted to box them up in a nuc or standard box with division board, feeder and a few strips? I hate the idea of letting a colony die. 

1 hour ago, cBank said:

You left them? Not tempted to box them up in a nuc or standard box with division board, feeder and a few strips? I hate the idea of letting a colony die. 

You can get them tomorrow first time in the morning. West AKL - Te Atatu South - 22 Body Pl. They are on the fence/pole next to a bush. You will be lucky if they cover half of one side of a FD frame.

Combining them is the only way to save them, however I do not want to do that.

Only just saw this sorry. Child sitting currently but will be free after lunch. Any idea if they are still there?

Someone has killed them with fly spray.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, cBank said:

Yip fly spray sure kills em! 

7 hours ago, cBank said:

I was away most of the day and I got a txt in the afternoon from the lady who called me yesterday. The owner of the house(where the bees were) killed them in the morning. He thought they were wasps.... apparently. She saw him cleaning up. 

Edited by Kiwi Bee
to add more info

I didn’t see your message until mid-morning sorry and I wasn’t able to get there until about 11. Some buzzing about and a pile of curled up dead bees under that bush. A tiny bit of comb too. I snoozed and the bees losed.

Heard of at least 4 alarms in Bulls area in the last two weeks. Worth starting a new thread or are these just overfed and enthusiastic?

13 minutes ago, Jean MacDonald said:

Heard of at least 4 alarms in Bulls area in the last two weeks. Worth starting a new thread or are these just overfed and enthusiastic?

It’ll be a new 2018/2019 one now I think...

• Agree 1