I'm after a little advice. I'd like to go all 3/4 frames in (obviously) 3/4 boxes.

I have done some looking around and can't find a source for 3/4 nucs (places are taking orders for spring delivery). It seems a shame to have to break up the universal 3/4 setup I'm aiming for just because I can't find a way to start without full frames. Has anybody got any advice or a different source of nucs? Am I missing something obvious?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even easier. Make a rim that lifts a 3/4 box up to full depth height. Gradually cycle out the FD frames until all 3/4 depth in box, clean off any burr comb from 3/4 frames, remove rim place 3/4 box on

I think you will find they (3/4 nucs) will become available as the season progresses. Just keep looking and asking. Bee club a good place to start maybe.

Trade me of course will have some at some stage but the prices............

I've got a few of each FD & 3/4 wintering over and others closer to you will have too I'm sure.

It's not hard to convert FD's to 3/4 anyway if you wanted to.

I assumed I could convert - however the crude solution I had in mind would involve slicing off the bottom and reattaching.

As it would be my first beekeeping experience I feel that slicing up pollen/brood/honey comb them nailing and glueing frame back together might be a little too enthusiastic.

Perhaps I just need to be patient...

With a 3/4 on top of a FD brood box (Q's like to move upward) it can be done just by manipulating the brood and using an excluder to confine the Queen where you want her. I've done the reverse, 3/4 to FD.

I assumed I could convert - however the crude solution I had in mind would involve slicing off the bottom and reattaching.

As it would be my first beekeeping experience I feel that slicing up pollen/brood/honey comb them nailing and glueing frame back together might be a little too enthusiastic.

Perhaps I just need to be patient...

If you do end up with FD frames then don't be afraid the cut them down. The bees will fix up your mess in no time at all.

I use Technoset 3/4 boxes. They are 10 frames but you can buy the dividing boards that spilt the 10 frames into 3x3 frames or 2x5 frames. The bases allow for separate entrances and there are either 5 frame or 3 frame feeders that go on top. A great system for splits.

I'm after a little advice. I'd like to go all 3/4 frames in (obviously) 3/4 boxes.

I have done some looking around and can't find a source for 3/4 nucs (places are taking orders for spring delivery). It seems a shame to have to break up the universal 3/4 setup I'm aiming for just because I can't find a way to start without full frames. Has anybody got any advice or a different source of nucs? Am I missing something obvious?

Easy bee keeping implies letting the bees do the work and you don't put yourself in the way of wasting time i.e. cutting down drawn frames.

1 I would suggest asking around a lot more for 3/4 nucs, they should be available especially from hobby bee keepers or sensible bee keepers.

2 Using the approach in post #4 where you ask the provider to get a 3/4 box drawn above a FD box, queen inserted and then sold to you as a going concern, easy - the provider keeps the FD box and frames, you get what you want. And then your on your way.

3 If you can only get a FD 4 frame nuc refer to post #5 so you end up with 4 FD frames and the rest 3/4, so your goal is achieved.

Can discuss any of these options in more detail if you want to, but I would go to TradeBee and see what a response you get.

Good luck, and continue with your sensible approach.

They will come available, typically prof-amateurs supply them. I got mine from a local club memeber.

I converted FD to ¾ very easily as described above. Put ¾ on top, wait... when brood up top move queen up if she's not aready there. Then swap boxes, with a queen excluder between. Then wait eventually all your FD brood have emerged, then cycle the FD out with a full harvest of honey or put it above a robbing board to encourage the bees to pull it down.

Honestly, if I can do it... anyone can. I have some FD boxes left, some are ventilation covers, some are just in case.

• Like 1
Yes, it's all about Easy Bee Keeping where the bees do all the work !

And it makes to BK feel really good, understanding what the bees are needing/wanting to do.

:)

And old FD boxes have many uses ...

I've read and re-read the easy beekeeping, and you're right. It's so much fun to see how the hives respond and the logic/behaviours of the hive

With a 3/4 on top of a FD brood box (Q's like to move upward) it can be done just by manipulating the brood and using an excluder to confine the Queen where you want her.

I can identify with this. So, with spring nearly upon us, this seems the best option. Then split into separate hives and raise a new queen and sell the FD gear intact as a one box hive late November. The $ will cover the new 3/4 hiveware and more. You will have a 3/4 colony on freshly drawn comb in new boxes. Don't sell or gift the FD hive to anyone living closer than 5km :)

So you buy a nuc of 4-6 full depth frames, buy another 4-6 new full depth frames wait for the bees to draw those frames out add a new 3/4 depth box and frames wait for them to draw that out........That seems like a really long drawn out process just to get them in to the 3/4 box. I like my way better it is way quicker cycling them in to the 3/4 box and keeps up with the colony expansion nicely.

Fun and games as a beginner deciding which method to use.

3/4 depth nucs will be available in spring though, so best to get one of those and save all the drama of converting a FD to 3/4.

Agreed, so many ways of doing it.

It is vital to be clear in the mind about what the goal is, and how one is achieving the goal, and go for it - and not change the plan as you will get seriously confused. Enough advice is enough ... unless you are up a gum tree, then more advice will probably help, and hands on, too.

:)

So you buy a nuc of 4-6 full depth frames, buy another 4-6 new full depth frames wait for the bees to draw those frames out add a new 3/4 depth box and frames wait for them to draw that out........That seems like a really long drawn out process just to get them in to the 3/4 box. I like my way better it is way quicker cycling them in to the 3/4 box and keeps up with the colony expansion nicely.

Fun and games as a beginner deciding which method to use.

3/4 depth nucs will be available in spring though, so best to get one of those and save all the drama of converting a FD to 3/4.

True, I hadn't considered that. I had an FD setup already so, it was not a hassle. But it was a waste of work from the bees to draw out the FD only to have it harvested and melted at the end of the season. But I did finish the season with a taster of honey, one hive at 3 x ¾ and one hive a 2 x ¾ strength and fed up fat for winter.

So many ways to skin the cat... luckily I don't like cats.

• Like 2

I think I'll try get 3/4 nucs to start as its obviously easiest. Thank you very much to those who have messaged me some options in this department, this thread has given a couple of good leads.

The conversion options above sound good and logical, but I just hesitate a little as its obviously harder for someone who hasn't yet dealt with bees before (with the exception of getting stung last week).

you'll be right, cBank. As others have said, it's just a bit early for us overwinterers to be showing our hand yet. I overwinter both sizes, and they'll be going on the market in August once they start to wake up and build up.

If you watch Trademe, you'll see pretty much all the bee auctions are being passed in without selling - it might be filling an advertising function, but it's not producing a lot of sales right now. Selling nucs now in July increases our risk profile and that lowers the potential price we can get... so we play the waiting game with everyone else. :)

• Like 2