john berry

Ventilated bee suit

I saw several at this year's conference and wondered if anybody had tried them and whether they really do keep you cooler.

I saw several at this year's conference and wondered if anybody had tried them and whether they really do keep you cooler.

@Trevor Gillbanks will have a video on the topic (y)

Here 'tis

[media]

[/media] Edited by Guest

I have one of the "mesh" type fully ventilated and found that it is only cooler if there is a breeze, otherwise is heavier and even hotter than the normal one. I also have one with ventilation in the chest and back that I would recommend

If it's that hot I just go without a suit... I my bees are normally quiet enough to leave the suit in the ute on a hot day.

• Like 1

I purchased one at the end of last season, so I'm keen to try it out this coming season. It feels a bit heavier than my current suit, so it'll be interesting.

I've got one, but I got it after the heat of summer was past. I can feel cool breeze through the suit

I purchased one at the end of last season, so I'm keen to try it out this coming season. It feels a bit heavier than my current suit, so it'll be interesting.

The same for me, I have one, it feels heavier but I can feel the breeze through it. I wont really know until next season.

I reckon they'd rip in no time.

I could be wrong but it seems too good to be true.

The cook and I got one each last summer, and we love them. It gets to 45C here so anything helps. I wear T shirt and shorts underneath and feel way cooler than I did in a normal suit. The wife burnt a small hole in hers with the smoker once that was easily stitched up, and I broke the main zipper when I tripped over while getting undressed. $20 on ebay got me a metal zipper that is much better, and the wife installed it.

Like in Trevor's video above the pockets are a bit low, and the mesh directly above the pockets means the hive tools catches an edge when you put it in. I'm going to add some fabric like he did in the video. Overall I love the mesh suit.

• Like 1

the one i tried here tried to strangle me and the hood was a bad fit. its tipped forward, which is good for working on the hives but have to look out the top of the hood to see where to walk.

but the other guys like them, especially those carrying full supers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't have any probs with them...cos they don't come in my size!!

I don't have any probs with them...cos they don't come in my size!!

Sounds like you might be giving me a run for my money as the biggest beek on NZbees.....

I had one last year I'm half wooky and hate heat did not find it cooler unless as stated there's a wind blowing and ripped very easy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can anyone recommend a full suit with hood for rainy weather? I so a while ago some waterproof suits however I can not find any on Ceracell or Ecrotek's website or TM.

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Can anyone recommend a full suit with hood for rainy weather? I so a while ago some waterproof suits however I can not find any on Ceracell or Ecrotek's website or TM.

I can't answer your question. However, I am very interested to know why you need a bee suit in the rain.

I got wet many times over the years and I always said, I will get a waterproof suit, I will........ I will........ and never happened.

Yesterday I had to pull out the apivar strips and it was purring buckets, so I waited in the car for a while. It did not stop however it calmed down a bit so I got out and started to work. After finishing a few hives it started again and in few minutes I was wet to my T-shirt and the gloves got filled up with water too.

So I plan to make a change and get for myself a waterproof suit.

So far I found one in UK that looks a bit disposable(at least it will not last too long - from the look, and it is cheap without a veil) and another one in US with veil(US$190+shipping).

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Kiwi Bee that's some dedication. Maybe you might be better off with a brimmed hat and veil with a conventional rain coat.

Something like this 

https://www.honeybeesonline.com/plastic-pith-hat-veil/

Ceracell do the hats. They can probably source the veils as well.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Thanks @Kiwi Bee that's some dedication. Maybe you might be better off with a brimmed hat and veil with a conventional rain coat.

Something like this 

https://www.honeybeesonline.com/plastic-pith-hat-veil/

Ceracell do the hats. They can probably source the veils as well.

All the bee supply company have those helmets and the veils to suit them.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

I can't answer your question. However, I am very interested to know why you need a bee suit in the rain.

It is interesting just how angry they get if it rains in the hive. It was hot and sunny when I got home and having been working in a basement all day I happily got stuck into sorting out a hive.

20 minutes in the clouding that was hiding behind a ridge came over and doused us. It was all on. I’d hate to try bee keeping in the rain without a veil.

• Haha 1

Thanks guys.

My bees in the weekend were exceptionally calm and were waiting for me to finish my job. They were hanging like bats(not upside-down. With their heads pointing up) and all lined up fully wet. They were not in the mood to attack at all. I wished to have a full waterproof suit with hood.

I really like the one on Mannlake's website https://www.mannlakeltd.com/

Search for "weathertek". They have them on amazon too.

9 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

really like the one on Mannlake's website https://www.mannlakeltd.com/

Search for "weathertek". They have them on amazon too.

Nice, and not as expensive as I imagined.

NZPost have a facility where you can buy in the USA and have it shipped to their depot over there. Then they get it back to NZ for you. Means no international shipping. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Nice, and not as expensive as I imagined.

NZPost have a facility where you can buy in the USA and have it shipped to their depot over there. Then they get it back to NZ for you. Means no international shipping. 

I use it for quite a bit. NZ post are steadily cranking the price up. No where near the US rates though. Yet. 

• Good Info 2

So I got one of these new ones as an early Xmas present, the "three layer vented suit". Maybe it's a silly question but do these provide a similar level of protection against stings?

I feel like they can sting much easier as there are holes all over the suit, the layers create a gap, but it seems shallow enough the stings can still reach you.

I like the yellow double layer one.  After more than 6 months of use, I have not had any stings thru the suit.

The white triple layer will be even better for sting protection.

I haven't had any stings thru mine in over a years use. The hood doesn't zip closed as easily as the full suit I have- but that's a design flaw.

• Like 1

A year of use with my three layer suit and I haven't been stung through it. I still get zapped occasionally through the fingers as I wear nitrile gloves only, and today on the ankles as I was wearing sneakers.

• Thanks 2