BeeGirl

Farmer's Market Honey

Recently found out that a retired beekeeper got busted by MPI for having three drums of honey for sale which were extracted in his honey house, which is not certified under the new MPI standards.

The guy's 81 and has kept a small number of his hives since he retired, just to keep as a hobby. Because it has been extracted in an uncertified extraction plant, honey companies don't want it, therefore he has tried to sell it on a popular computer trading site and this is where he got pinged.

My question is: Does honey that is sold at local Farmer's Markets also have to be extracted in a MPI certified honey house.

As I understand it (i'm heading this route) the facility used to extract and package needs to be at least NP1 and the person doing the extraction/packaging needs a food handling cert.

my understanding is that if it is being sold (at all) it needs to be all done legit.

Recently found out that a retired beekeeper got busted by MPI for having three drums of honey for sale which were extracted in his honey house, which is not certified under the new MPI standards.

The guy's 81 and has kept a small number of his hives since he retired, just to keep as a hobby. Because it has been extracted in an uncertified extraction plant, honey companies don't want it, therefore he has tried to sell it on a popular computer trading site and this is where he got pinged.

My question is: Does honey that is sold at local Farmer's Markets also have to be extracted in a MPI certified honey house.

Also packed with the appropriate certification ie you cant have it commercially extracted and then take the drums home and bottle the honey up to sell. You need to get as @Rob Stockley mentioned a NP1 certification which is audited and issued by your local council food safety division.

Edited by Guest

my understanding is that if it is being sold (at all) it needs to be all done legit.

Only if sold for human consumption. Actually someone correct me but I don't think you're supposed to give it away either. Honey you extract at home is for consumption in your household only.

Edited by Guest

Honey you extract at home is for consumption in your household only.

Absolutely ! And we stick to 50kph around town too.

• Like 3

If it is extracted and packed in a registered facility, can you then store it at home and sell it etc? Or do the legal requirements extend to transport and storage of packed product?

... and eating honey is a valid tutin test...

And all this is what's going wrong with New Zealand.

You have 2 options , you either need a RMP or if it is to be sold in NZ only you can do it under the Food Act. The cost for this is $100 initially which gets lodged on your behalf via your local council (NP1- National Policy 1). You then need to get the Council to come and audit your extraction process (Home kitchen) or you can get Assure Quality to Audit the process. I opted to get the Council to do it as they had already started the process. I received my license about a month ago and can now legitimately sell my honey online, farmers markets etc. It cost a further $250 for this but I don't have to go through the process again unless something changes. The only other ongoing cost is $100 biannually to MPI.

• Good Info 2

Is it you my mum gets stuck behind?

I thought she was the slowest driver on the road , but she said no, there's this old guy out there.

• Haha 1

No @Rob Stockley i wasn't, I asked the Inspector from council if it was required as I was quite prepared to do it and she said it is not required

• Like 1

If it is extracted and packed in a registered facility, can you then store it at home and sell it etc? Or do the legal requirements extend to transport and storage of packed product?

if its RMP reg extraction then the storage and trucking must also be RMP compliant.

No @Rob Stockley i wasn't, I asked the Inspector from council if it was required as I was quite prepared to do it and she said it is not required

that will probably vary depending on council. i think here its a requirement.

@tristan National Policy 1 is a really straight forward process and as a consumer I want to know that food I buy has been processed or extracted correctly.. this is no different. Yes I think all Councils will probably have a slight variation depending on local food regs.

@tristan National Policy 1 is a really straight forward process and as a consumer I want to know that food I buy has been processed or extracted correctly.. this is no different. Yes I think all Councils will probably have a slight variation depending on local food regs.

i was talking to mpi guys about it years ago. they where looking at trying to get everyone on the same standard.

that probably hasn't happened.

i was talking to mpi guys about it years ago. they where looking at trying to get everyone on the same standard.

that probably hasn't happened.

I don't think the individual councils vary that much, but I guess local bylaws may impact on what can done.

Now we know your lying :rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Jilly your council was very kind to you you are looking at round 1.5 k to do it down here. Would be interesting to compare costs from place to place.
  • Like 1

@Jilly your council was very kind to you you are looking at round 1.5 k to do it down here. Would be interesting to compare costs from place to place.

Wow really!! Council quoted me $160 an hour plus travel. It was their Environmental Food Safety Officer that came out. She inspected the process and then we went through what Protocols she wanted to see in writing. I took photos as we extracted the honey and then put it all together in a Manual. In the letter of confirmation they stated that they are not required to inspect again unless my process or number of hives change dramatically.

I also had a fellow Beekeeper present and he is also able to extract his honey in my kitchen. I just use a 4 frame manual extractor.

I'm currently at the Apiculture Conference in Rotorua and it was really disappointing to attend the session on Honey extraction and the presenter stated the only way to sell honey - even at your gate or farmers market was if you had a RMP. I think a lot of hobby beeks would have taken that comment as gospel.

• Like 1

Which council and which inspector did you use? I've just been quoted $78 to apply followed by $2000 for the inspection.

Our council uses a independent inspector and that's where the money is going we still choose to go this way rather than RMP as we are still trying to keep up with demand on a local front and infill they put a spin on clover I don't think I'll be selling lots overseas