Sale price for strong single hives

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices seem to vary quite a bit as far as I've seen (beekeeping under a year so don't assume I'm an expert)

If I was in your shoes I'd check out TradeMe to see what the going rate is, and then hold out until the spring buildup so there's a bit of buyer competition and hopefully you could get a better price per hive.

Prices seem to vary quite a bit as far as I've seen (beekeeping under a year so don't assume I'm an expert)

If I was in your shoes I'd check out TradeMe to see what the going rate is, and then hold out until the spring buildup so there's a bit of buyer competition and hopefully you could get a better price per hive.

If they're already strong hives, try advertising them now while the competition is low. Sometimes word of mouth is good, especially if someone is wanting to build up their existing hive numbers. Personally when I buy hives, I avoid Trademe preferring to buy from idividuals with realistic prices.

I have had a poor season and may have to sell some hives to cover costs.

What is a good price for quality hives with stainless steel mesh bottom boards that have a third treatment in them and have plenty of stores?

Kia kaha bro, I've read a few of your posts lately and I think your one of the good ones who has a genuine interest and passion for bees.

It saddens me to see there are good beekeepers selling their bees to make ends meet.

I hope you have a better season next year and that you get a fair price for your hives.

• Like 4

Hey Bud,

It used to be said the price of a hive was equal to the value it could generate in a season.

Northland hives might be quiet expensive from what I read.

One things for sure, dont sell them too cheap, just yet.

Why not pull some nucs out of them and sell the nuc .... or vica versa? Maybe set up a sideline operation selling replaceemnts to a bigger operator, or perhaps a workshop box building. I was talking to a guy in the Waikato last week who has a contract to build 10,000 boxes for someone.

• Like 2

You would need some serious (and expensive) machinery to make 10,000 boxes, I have just made 10 and my planer/thicknesser really worked at it. Making frames doesn't seem to make financial sense but I may have a go just for the hell of it.

Seriously though, I am not really qualified to advise but I suspect that replacements are likely to cost more than you will get in sales. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best mate, hope it works out.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
I have had a poor season and may have to sell some hives to cover costs.

What is a good price for quality hives with stainless steel mesh bottom boards that have a third treatment in them and have plenty of stores?

If you put one on Trademe to test the market you will get a mixture of interest.

There will be those that want one for nothing and value a hive against a free Swarm.

Best course of action for those people is to catch a swarm.

There will be some serious people as well who may be interested in paying good money for a single box that is not far off being split.

I sold very strong singles last spring (November) for $800 bees and frames only.

The bloke split them within 2 weeks and had the splits up to strength for the Tauranga flow.

He was an experienced Beek just starting out with his own commercial hives.

Bottom line is that good hives are worth heaps.