Who's up for the sugar tax?

This little "fatty" has just been out lifting hives out of a flooded paddock, lucky I didn't have a heart attack in my unhealthy obese state.

Could have landed in hospital and cost the taxpayer some serious money.

Obese people are so disgusting they deserve all the flack they get for their greedy piggy ways.

Compared to a 14yr old super model we are all pretty fat

Not all cultures equate being skinny with beauty.

In parts of west Africa it a tradition to force feed girls to make them fat and attractive .

And the whiter they are the better .

Bad Cultures: Force-feeding young girls for marriage in Mauritania – WOMEN'S RIGHTS AND HEALTH

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main concern with a sugar tax is that all that sugar I buy may cost even more. Otherwise I like the idea, provided they don't include Golden Circle cans of Creaming Soda - they're the best.

As for immigrants I think there has been a definite toughening up on immigration this year, people I know are having to leave NZ as they can't get work permits extended. I also think that while immigrants bring a whole bunch of benefits (note as I type this my wife who was an immigrant twenty years ago is peering over my shoulder) there is a risk that too much our "New Zealandness" may end up getting lost or diluted. For example some very very recent English immigrants who are on a property adjoining a site I have have been openly hostile about the bees, you'd think it was a nuclear test site. Yet Kiwi's are generally a bit more rurally aware and open minded.

I'm not going near the fat - skinny debate, far far too dangerous....

• Like 2
The list of truely good things that are paid for out of our taxes is very very long. The only one tiny thing that's wrong is

the seemingly universal belief that more and more immigrants flooding in is somehow going to increase my quality of life.

At what point, generation, year, date do you classify them as immigrants. The Moriori to the Maori, the European to the Maori, the Chinese, Pacific ......

Check out some health-care facilities and see who is looking after the "discarded " folks as it's no longer suitable for their children to have them as part of the family. For some, their quality of life has improved including the agricultural sector engaging migrant workers and enjoying the profit base on cheaper willing labour.

Check out some health-care facilities and see who is looking after the "discarded " folks as it's no longer suitable for their children to have them as part of the family. For some, their quality of life has improved including the agricultural sector engaging migrant workers and enjoying the profit base on cheaper willing labour.

Don't assume that because a person is in an old folks home they have been "discarded"

The health care worker situation will be changing dramatically now they have been forced to pay workers a decent wage they can support their families on. Kiwis will be willing to work there will be no need for imported labour.

As for the horticultural/agricultural sector if they paid a decent wage they wouldn't need migrant labour. But All this has been said before.

I have no beef with migrant labour, my beef is with employers who won't pay a decent wage so kiwis can work.

Any way getting back to the sugar tax debate. I agree with what @Daley implied about Tobacco products being Taxed because of the known health costs. Sugar is also well known to have a high health cost often starting with young children's teeth being extracted. So I think that some of the "costs" of sugar should be directly recovered in the form of a sugar tax.

My main concern with a sugar tax is that all that sugar I buy may cost even more. Otherwise I like the idea

That is the problem right there, most taxes are applied in a way which has a number of unintended consequences. So, we should be afraid. Death and taxes, nothing surer.

Are you wanting a tax to help fund the health system or a tax to try and reduce consumption?

That is the debate, should we even try to impose a "Tax" to reduce the use. As for the collecting revenue to fund...

.................a tax to try and reduce consumption?

That is a waste of money with the smoking behavior already. Okay, if we look from the point of view, who got the job to advertise for this project and who gave the job, now they all are very happy with this project. These two groups make the good,.... verrrry gooooood money(and the money comes from the taxes) in the name of "reducing the consumption" protecting people from themselves, wowww the good Samaritans.

If they bring in a tax can I get an exemption if the sugar is for my bees.

Cause they will not get fat or have rotten teeth and be a drain on the health system .

Do you think it could be like RUCs where you do not pay them if you do not go on the roads

• Like 1

The vast increase in sugar consumption has been the result of

a) fat is bad message and

b) increase of processed food.

There wasn't a tax on Fat when it was deemed the dietary evil....that change was effected by 'education'.

Sugar,-which was added to food to give the flavour the reduction in fat removed- is now the bad guy.

Lets just get back to eating FOOD.... moderate quanities of real stuff that requires us to prepare it.

Lets be mindful of what we put in our bodies...we are what we eat.

Guess I'm a few kegs of V.... lol something I see a lot of is an arrogance from skinny people (Some not all) who are skinny because of their genetic makeup more than their diet and it is very not fair to display this. However I do think more needs to be done, I don't like the government making rules on stuff but we need to do something about this - overweight adults is one thing but overweight kids as a massive (catastrophic) problem. People need to see sugar as the main problem (not fat) and people need to help and support each other to make it work not tearing each other down....

And Yes, I am 1000% in favour of an 'added sugar' tax-naturally occouring isn't as bad (honey and fruit) but the amount of added sugar in our diets is massive.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I wonder if sugar for bees might be specifically included in a tax system. Afterall, sugar is fed to bees to produce more sugar. They will surely tax it at one end of the process, if not, both!

Edited by Guest
I wonder if sugar for bees might be specifically included in a tax system. Afterall, sugar is fed to bees to produce more sugar. They will surely tax it at one end of the process, if not, both!

It shouldn't be-given that it's animal feed

I'm a fat person, I don't have any health issues caused by my "fatness"

I very rarely get sick and if I do It's not bad enough to go to a doctor.

I work 7 days a week during the season like a lot of other beekeepers.

Why do you think because people are fat they automatically are costing the health system?

You say we are a bigger drain on the economy than immigrants, show me the figures.

Sorry but us "fatties" are here to stay, putting a 20%sugar tax on anything is not going to make a blind bit of difference

There are big people and there are fat people though.

Some people are bigger boned and short and will never be thin, and I don't consider them fat.

I know plenty of big people who are just as fit as I am and some who are probably fitter.

People will just pay more money and they will still buy all the rubbish, but then at least we could put it towards their health care. I wouldn't be moaning over an extra 50 cents on a pack of tim tams.

It's not an easy problem to solve but if people are choosing to do harm to their bodies why should everyone else have to foot the bill.

And it's a basic way of encouraging people to eat better, they should also take the tax off fresh fruit and veges.

And I agree with you about the pension, we pay for that over our working lives ourself and if the government is too stupid to put it away then that's their bad.

It's not an easy problem to solve but if people are choosing to do harm to their bodies

Yes, I'm sure that's how it goes. I want to be fat...I'll eat a Tim Tam :what:

Sugar is an addiction like any other. I expect it would be just as difficult for a small person to give up sugar as it would a large person. Education is the way forward. Community initiatives that get healthy food into schools are awesome. Get kids talking about what is healthy and what is not.

Yes, I'm sure that's how it goes. I want to be fat...I'll eat a Tim Tam :what:

Sugar is an addiction like any other. I expect it would be just as difficult for a small person to give up sugar as it would a large person. Education is the way forward. Community initiatives that get healthy food into schools are awesome. Get kids talking about what is healthy and what is not.

The problem is that it is added to everything unnecessarily or as a preservative.

Most know it's bad but can't get away from it, even in savoury food.

It's very difficult to avoid.

The tim tams were only an example.

But to me that sort of food is luxury extra food that I chuck in the trolley when I can afford it and don't when I can't.

And I don't mind paying a little more if it is for the greater good.

Edited by Guest
The problem is that it is added to everything unnecessarily or as a preservative.

Most know it's bad but can't get away from it, even in savoury food.

It's very difficult to avoid.

So it's sugar by stealth we should be targeting. Not the luxury items we consume in moderation.

I'm not big boned I'm straight out short and fat.

I don't like sugary foods I'm into potatoes and meat with lots of excess fat all crispy on the outside.

I don't drink...much and I quit smoking 17 years ago I will never be skinny and I'm OK with that.

Shame everyone else has an opinion about how much a burden us fat people are.

Funny how the shamers are mostly skinny and never been fat.

I will never put down a smoker for smoking because I know how hard it is to give up.

As you can tell it gets me very annoyed when people feel it's ok to shame fat people and tell them what they should and shouldn't eat

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1