July 2017 Apiary Diary

@P K Tan do you find the steam genny up to the job I been thinking about using steam rather than heat lamps in my old chest freezer to melt wax

Get an old 9kg gas bottle, screw a fitting in the top and hook a hose into your steam chest... chuck a gas ring under the bottle (fill the bottle of water too) and you have more steam than you could ever need.... (plus if it runs dry it will not kill it)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@P K Tan do you find the steam genny up to the job I been thinking about using steam rather than heat lamps in my old chest freezer to melt wax

Better to use the chest freezer with an electric blanket for warming up crystallize honey. I think steam is a better option than dry heat. The steam will rise to the top and force the air (insulator) down. That steam rig was thought of and made up in an hr as a test with what i had available. I was pleasantly suprised at the outcome from 1 free hr of power from cold. Had to top up the steamer with boiling water from a jug as i was not sure of the minimum water level. It was easy to get rid of the softened cocoon and pollen capsules. There were pool of wax on top of frames of the bottom box. Done another two box today but have not look into it yet. I will attempt a higher stack with 2 or 3 steamer(6.9Kw) to see if it can be done in an hr.

I have a chest freezer that had stopped working to kill wax moth. Still full of frames. Did think about using it. But the hassle of bending over to clean the mess was not appealing. However will consider putting it on its side for easier access and modify it to include condensate drain, strainer rack etc. Use the space where the compressor was for the boiler.

I have somewhere an electrode boiler that came from a commercial coffee machine. Might repurpose that at some stage. Have also thought of using an old oven on fan bake but probably 10 frames at a time.

Get an old 9kg gas bottle, screw a fitting in the top and hook a hose into your steam chest... chuck a gas ring under the bottle (fill the bottle of water too) and you have more steam than you could ever need.... (plus if it runs dry it will not kill it)

Not economical for me to pay for gas when i have free power. However some can have fixed gas payment and use as much as they like. That would be an option.

Adding electric elements to the 9kg might be an option for me.:)

Edited by Guest
is this the big grow room you you were talking about.:lol

what going in it?

One of them :-) we are going to plant a whole bunch of things ranging from strawberrys to what ever makes money lol annoyingly the others kinda look like this....

IMG_0762.JPG.7fdaf46331a33e3fe8b0a16b7162825c.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG.7fdaf46331a33e3fe8b0a16b7162825c.JPG

• Like 1
One of them :) we are going to plant a whole bunch of things ranging from strawberrys to what ever makes money lol annoyingly the others kinda look like this....

is that supposed to be white micronet frost cloth.

i use it and wash it regularly. even napisan it

1 steamer suitable for 2 FD. Tried 2 steamer for 2 FD and 2 × 3/4 But trip the circuit breaker while i was doing something else. Reconfigured to another circuit. Will try again tomorrow.

Went to my hakea hives today to check on my superseded queen .

going through the frames was not promising , I found the old queen, lots and lots of drone brood , a capped queen cell, New queen cells being made and some eggs .

Then I found my new queen with a nice long body and she was laying an egg in a cell.

I think she mated earlier in the week , we had a hot still day . She would have been hatched 2 weeks then.

I dispatched the queen cells.

Are the bees making them because the old queen is a drone layer and the new queen has only just mated.

Or is it because there is a flow on and they want to swarm . The bees are bringing in lots of honey and capping it .WP_20170708_14_07_10_Pro.jpg.6125a0c785c7121d581425d93ca5bab7.jpg

My doomed nuc queen is now laying out the frames and needs more room so I will have to take out the feeder and find some drawn frames to put in.

I may have to rob some from another hive.

I need to make some sort of external feeder for the nuc .I do not have other bees or wasps to worry about.

This is a photo of the hakea hillsides.

It will flower for another month

WP_20170708_14_07_10_Pro.jpg.6125a0c785c7121d581425d93ca5bab7.jpg

• Like 3
@kaihoka its very late for your queen to have been mated. Do you still have lots of drones about over there?

Yes lots of drones, esp in the drone laying hive , but less in the others.

The drones in the drone laying hive are very Italian looking but I have seen the big black ones around to.

I have a hive at home that is 2.7 kilometres from the hakea hives and the new queen was about the same distance away from 5 other hives owned by a farmer.

I am surprised she mated too.

I will be interested to see how it all works out and if she is any good .

• Like 1