Noel

Manuka Access & Per Hive Rates - West Coast

Just now, frazzledfozzle said:

For a bush site ?

no way we would pay that.

That's what they were charging the helicopter hives out the back of kahurangi.

I think it maybe what they charge all hives on the doc land .

I shall find out .

I think they will be “manuka” sites I don’t see anyone up this way paying $50 a hive for Bush honey and if they did in previous years they won’t be under the new Manuka standard if in fact the standard is as high and rigid as some people are saying.

What are the forestry sites worth up your way fraz? 

We pay per hectare not per hive. 

Thats total hectares including pine trees so some of our bigger areas cost more but don’t hold as many hives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwifruiter said:

If there was a garentee of peeformance it would be ok....

I prefer honey... but each to his own. 

• Haha 1

Paying for sites would be fine if you didn't have to compete against idiots who make offers they have no intention of honouring or spin merchants who convince farmers that the stocking rate can be increased by 800%. You also run into the problem that as soon as neighbours here there's money involved more hives arrive overnight and the site you offered good money for is now virtually valueless. New beekeepers come along all the time but the only way they can gain sites is to stick them too close to someone else or replace existing beekeepers usually by offering unsustainable payments. The bubble isn't about to burst, it has been well and truly popped by greed and ignorance. 

• Agree 3

Yes theyre just greedy they think that we made money from the honey and they dont have an idea if its worth big money and they dont think the rest of our expenses.

2 minutes ago, john berry said:

Paying for sites would be fine if you didn't have to compete against idiots who make offers they have no intention of honouring or spin merchants who convince farmers that the stocking rate can be increased by 800%. You also run into the problem that as soon as neighbours here there's money involved more hives arrive overnight and the site you offered good money for is now virtually valueless. New beekeepers come along all the time but the only way they can gain sites is to stick them too close to someone else or replace existing beekeepers usually by offering unsustainable payments. The bubble isn't about to burst, it has been well and truly popped by greed and ignorance. 

We been beekeeper for almost 12 years and this time is getting worst of some beekeepers offering big money even they know theres another beekeeper already, no respect.

Ohhh i forgot plus honey..... $50 per hive plus honey!not contented for honey plus fresh fish.

49 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

I prefer honey... but each to his own. 

9_9

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I think they will be “manuka” sites I don’t see anyone up this way paying $50 a hive for Bush honey and if they did in previous years they won’t be under the new Manuka standard if in fact the standard is as high and rigid as some people are saying.

It was supposed to be a Manuka site but local knowledge including DOC knew it was kanuka.

The migrants who have been coming here for years have their hives on DOC land ,some of it Manuka.

They have been coming here before the Manuka boom.

I am not sure what they pay .

Probably more each year knowing DOC .

Yes it’s surprising how many beekeepers can’t tell the difference between Manuka and kanuka.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes it’s surprising how many beekeepers can’t tell the difference between Manuka and kanuka.

Esp If you just fly over an area and don't walk around .

On 12/28/2017 at 2:48 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

$50 a hive for kanuka or bush !!  ...just walk away.

why be involved with someone who has this mentality.

I have to find another 6 sites, one Kanuka/bush site owner wants 75$ per hive and the others are after no less than $50 plus honey??? Last year I made a 35$ profit on all these sites and after paying the land owners I ran them at a loss. I'm pretty much paying to put them there.

• Sad 5

18 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I have to find another 6 sites, one Kanuka/bush site owner wants 75$ per hive and the others are after no less than $50 plus honey??? Last year I made a 35$ profit on all these sites and after paying the land owners I ran them at a loss. I'm pretty much paying to put them there.

This is getting crazy.  There is no way this stupidity can keep on.  However the media hype it all up so farmers/landowners are getting more and more greedy.

• Agree 2

If the new Manuka honey standards adjust the price of a lot of honey down and it is unrealistic for beeks to pay for some sites, I wonder how the current pay for hives system can unwind with out ill feeling all round ..

• Like 1

On my latest coffee expedition via the hill shortcut I noticed the manuka in full swing and not a hive to be seen. The local commercial hasn't put his bees up there this year .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

15 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However the media hype it all up so farmers/landowners are getting more and more greedy.

If the rates invoice for my modest patch is anything to go by, these landowners can't really be faulted for wanting to maximise their returns. I guess it depends which feet the shoes are on.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

This is getting crazy.  There is no way this stupidity can keep on.  However the media hype it all up so farmers/landowners are getting more and more greedy.

but there is plenty more beeks that will go gold digging. land owners will keep dangling the carrot for as long as they can.

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

If the new Manuka honey standards adjust the price of a lot of honey down and it is unrealistic for beeks to pay for some sites

Yes, and it should mean there's more value in planted sites i.e. plant known Manuka seed, for honey that exceeds the definition and is high UMF...

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know the 'feel' of the beekeeping country as a whole...is there still expansion? Are there people getting out now? Are there new people starting? How are newer outfits going?

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

On my latest coffee expedition via the hill shortcut I noticed the manuka in full swing and not a hive to be seen. The local commercial hasn't put his bees up there this year .

GPS location please ....:18_kissing_heart: ..... of the coffee.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jamesc said:

GPS location please ....:18_kissing_heart: ..... of the coffee.

NZTM E1647812 N5427921