Hi guys, i have a question for you....have you ever try in nz, formic acid for control varroa?here in italy we are trying to use it in a particoular littles bottle in the hive and the results are not bad, althought when it s hot. We use oxalic acid, with stop the brood in summer and sublimate oxalic, tymol here has lost his effect and we can use it only with apistan. Chemicals like fluvalinate, amitraz etc.. for me are not a good solution, but i d like have dialogue with you for give help eachother

Ciao Davide, some NZ beekeepers have used formic to good effect with home made solutions that evaporate from a bag using a wick, there are threads about this on this forum, but the only commercial formic treatment that I know is call MAQS made by NOD in Canada and imported to NZ. Some of us do use Oxalic Vapour in winter, but commercially it seems not widely used. I have been using formic maqs pads and oxalic acid and we will try to avoid synthetic treatments while we have success with OA and FA.

We use maqs but we had a big problems because summer it s very hot and maqs evaporate very quickly and cause a sterility of queens and exit of all bees from the hive. This new solution may be better because formic is in a solution of 60% and work for 24 days. I work in a big shop for bees equipment and i m lucky for all people with i can speak here and know the news of beekeeping and the situations of other beekeeper. So i post picture of this product1498569157717443232546.jpg.9cfc64a02bcfe091239caa5e23c5d849.jpg

1498569157717443232546.jpg.9cfc64a02bcfe091239caa5e23c5d849.jpg

Interesting formic acid dispenser. There are several formic acid dispensers in the market. The Nassenheider, Liebig, and so on. They are not very popular as far as I know. What is the advantage of this one?

This dispenser is good because the acid evaporates in 24 days and fights varroa for total cycle of brood, despite FA works also under brood. Another good thing, the queen reduce its deposition and varroa is for a big part on the adult bees. In this dispenser ther are three felt strip,and you can stretch or reduce them, adjusting the evaporation.

This dispenser is good because the acid evaporates in 24 days and fights varroa for total cycle of brood, despite FA works also under brood. Another good thing, the queen reduce its deposition and varroa is for a big part on the adult bees. In this dispenser ther are three felt strip,and you can stretch or reduce them, adjusting the evaporation.

Do you expose all three felt strips at the same time? Or do you make several visits and open them separately?

• Like 1

No you expose three strips at the same time. Is a new method tryed just for one season....is not complyitly tested,But the results for this moment are good

Do you put your frame with the three pots in the top of the hive because the FA vapour is heavier than air and it sinks? How many boxes do you treat with this? There was a guy on this forum who put the FA in a plastic bag with a wick to evaporate, so it was a similar idea, in his case he used oasis foam to store the FA. See this thread

DIY equivalent to MAQS

Yes, whit maqs yuo have to put it on the frames and turn updown the hive s cover. Maqs evaporation during avout seven days and sometimes cause the exit of all bees. This dispenser has been put in the hive, without the superior hive, only in the colony, between the lasr frame of brood and the honey.

What do you guys think of having FA in the hive all the season? A slow release dispenser with 3 or 4 wicks(small). The dispenser can be a modified plastic feeder. The built up propolis can be cleaned/collected from it. It may affect the laying however a play with the strengt and the wick can solve that.

What do you guys think of having FA in the hive all the season? A slow release dispenser with 3 or 4 wicks(small). The dispenser can be a modified plastic feeder. The built up propolis can be cleaned/collected from it. It may affect the laying however a play with the strengt and the wick can solve that.

I'm not keen on that on principle that it might be the best way to develop resistance to fa

For me can produce resistance, like now is for fluvalinate or amitraz

I think Formic is only effective on the mites when at least several mls per day (of 65% solution) is being delivered. At that level the Queen will probably stop laying (she definitely does when 100 mls is delivered over a week). If you had the minimum effective level being delivered in the hive permanently she may not lay at all. It would be an interesting experiment to run though, I'd like to be proved wrong!

For me can produce resistance, like now is for fluvalinate or amitraz

Somewhere on here there is a thread on resistance to the acids. The probability of it developing is believed to be low because of the mode of action.