Much of what we do, and when we do it, depends on the season, and not the calendar. In many respects your best guide to that is the state of the plants in your particular area and what they are doing, it's a subject called phenology. The NZ Plant Conservation Network has phenology maps that tell you things like flowering times, seed sets and so on, but by the look of the dates of the observations not enough people join in! Its other asset are the combined plant distribution databases, for example I recall a thread recently asking about tutin. If you what to know if tutin has been recorded in your area (or anything else) just look it up. The network would be pleased to have more users and recorders I'm sure, so join in. You don't have to be a member to record observations.

New Zealand Plant Conservation Network

• Like 4
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea good Dave i will look into that. I have played around with taking soil temperatures to see when certain things are flowering and i think theres something in it but have not gotten to serious about it, right in the thick of it when you need to do this.