ChrisM

Myrtle Rust Spraying Te Puke

There is an email just out, regarding MPI spraying of Te Puke with Agpro Jupiter.

@Kiwifruiter, what is that spray? thoughts? could there be also a wet out additive?

Can you guys have a look at that Map too? Does this show all the apiaries in Te Puke? Looks like I can see where others are. Is it normal to get a map showing all the apiaries? Do you reckon those RED ones have AFB? Just asking.. Is this map a bit of a breach or balls up?

got to be thankful they are not using 1080 I guess :eek:

Dear Beekeepers of Te Puke,

Please be advised that the area shown on the below map has planned fungicide treatment activities during the next 7 days;

The spray being used is a fungicide called Agpro Jupiter. This information is provided to help potentially affected beekeepers make decisions about covering, closing or shifting hives as you consider necessary.

We thank you for your assistance during this biosecurity response.

Kind regards,

The Myrtle Rust Response team.

You are receiving this email because you have been identified as a beekeeper with apiaries that may be affected by Myrtle Rust Response treatment activity

Our mailing address is:

AsureQuality Ltd on behalf of the Ministry for Primary Industry

Private bag 3080

Hamilton, Waikato 3240

New Zealand

Edited by Guest

Oh oh...I would have thought each e-mail it should only show each individual beeks apiaries not everyone elses as well? Unless we are going to move to a transparent beekeeping world entirely then I would think this is a bit of a foul up.

I have often wondered if some favoured folk have had this sort of info made available to them any way!

That is a pathetic amount of information given the fact you can't even google search a safety datasheet for this Agpro Jupiter..

You would think they would give a recommendation on wether or not you need to actually cover your bees or move them as surely they know this. Saves everyone having to do their own google sleuthing. Google doesn't make it easy these days, bring back Encarta 98.

As for the map, those are some juicy details, can guarantee someone's in trouble..

Trust me that is not all the hive sites in that area, I wish it was.

Edited by Guest

Trust me that is not all the hive sites in that area, I wish it was.

thanks, but that is not very comforting.

Are the others all the unregistered ones? Or the ones that move around every 29th day?

What are your thoughts regarding the AFB red ones?

Does the letter read as if MPI think it is viable for us to cover or close in bees for 7 days continuously?

Would it be reasonable to expect them to email out the night before on days that have a suitable forecast.

Would it be reasonable for them to announce if spraying will be am or pm?

In Taranaki they did an aerial survey to check all registered apiary sites.

Given your comments and since they are going to be in the air(?),

maybe they should do the same aerial apiary checks in Te Puke?

We could all get an updated map..

Will Te Puke be sprayed by planes or choppers or both? Do we know?

Encarta 98.

hehe, a blast from the past..

Edited by Guest

Yea well I live in Te Puke and have one hive at home... so interesting information... the question is where are they spraying? Is it the red dot sites getting sprayed or as already said that's just AFB sites...

I havnt used the product, must be limp wristed fairly liquid to be used in town... What is the method of application? Hand gun? Chopper? 747 fitted with spray gear? Are they blanket covering or targeting plants that get it/have it? Also follow up on spreaders etc.....

• Like 1

Yea well I live in Te Puke and have one hive at home... so interesting information... the question is where are they spraying? Is it the red dot sites getting sprayed or as already said that's just AFB sites...

I believe the orange perimeter is the extent of the spray. Can you see your dot of the hive at your place? If you click on the link below you can open on a browser. Depending on your browser you may be able to right-click and select open image in a new tab. Then zoom in on the image..

Edited by Guest

I havnt used the product, must be limp wristed fairly liquid to be used in town... What is the method of application? Hand gun? Chopper? 747 fitted with spray gear? Are they blanket covering or targeting plants that get it/have it? Also follow up on spreaders etc.....

you can't ask all those questions, those are my questions :)

I googled that stuff half to death and I think its meant to be ok but not really cool with anything being sprayed anywhere near my bees to be honest..

have to google 'tradimenol 250' to get anything useful

Hmmm.. Dos'nt seem like much information, I hope theres more info coming your way especially as peoples housholds or livelyhoods are going to recieve a dose of unknown fungicide( fact sheet at least, but no).

I guessing the Myrtle Responce Team aint no crack unit

I googled that stuff half to death and I think its meant to be ok but not really cool with anything being sprayed anywhere near my bees to be honest..

have to google 'tradimenol 250' to get anything useful

Chap came to our bee club night on monday

He said the spray was non toxic to bees in small doses but need 14 to 42 day with holding period on fruit and veges

Recommended that you close ,cover or remove hives as spray may be lethal if sprayed directly on hive

Spray is applied every two weeks for a six week period so three applications

Spray is applied with hand sprayer starting with underside of leaves and working up ,cherry picker for tall trees

Every tree or plant on infected property is sprayed,they do not spray grass

There was more info but it was enough for me to spend last two days moving hives

Cant see how the bees can survive if they are gathering sprayed pollen to feed brood

Mpi also said they would set up a website to show where they are going to spray but there would only be 24 hours notice

Unsatisfactory for everyone ,they,mpi are in a hard place but so are we .i like my bees alive so have opted to move them

Chap came to our bee club night on monday

He said the spray was non toxic to bees in small doses but need 14 to 42 day with holding period on fruit and veges

Recommended that you close ,cover or remove hives as spray may be lethal if sprayed directly on hive

Spray is applied every two weeks for a six week period so three applications

Spray is applied with hand sprayer starting with underside of leaves and working up ,cherry picker for tall trees

Every tree or plant on infected property is sprayed,they do not spray grass

There was more info but it was enough for me to spend last two days moving hives

Cant see how the bees can survive if they are gathering sprayed pollen to feed brood

Mpi also said they would set up a website to show where they are going to spray but there would only be 24 hours notice

Unsatisfactory for everyone ,they,mpi are in a hard place but so are we .i like my bees alive so have opted to move them

Oh my gosh how terribly inconvenient :( blimin myrtle rust!

• Like 1

Oh Dear ..... we are from the government and we are here to help you ..... last time we had the experience of a fungicide spray was when we had 300 hives in carrots. There was dead bees for Africa from a "Bee friendly" spray all struggling to make it home, crawling up the spray lines and headlands of the paddocks.

That was the time I blew a fuse and the head honcho from Agcarm came and took tea and biscuits with us on the verandah at home and assured us his products were Bee friendly.

Lets hope he has'nt forgotten my acid tongue and changed the recipe in his brews.

Who is gonna hold their breathe ?

It's absolutely crazy to think about trying to control myrtle rust.

If the spores blow over from Aus all spraying will achieve is fulling up the atmosphere with poison.

The best we can hope for is some natural resistance in a percentage of the plants.

The faster it burns through and things start to recovery the. Better

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Hands up who wants to be an MPI-er ??

Their span of responsibility is too wide. Primary industries used to be led independently by groups of experts in those industries. These days they're managed (no leadership) collectively by a group of experts in bureaucracy.

Like most things, and they always make the wrong decision.

I would be more worried about the surfactants then the sprays especially if they use and organo- silicate. Having said that what the hell are they doing wasting money on a horse that's not only bolted but already run half way round the North Island, do they not understand that a wind spread fungus that has been found in over 50 different locations is here to stay. I am a huge supporter of bio security and eradication whenever possible but it's time to get real on this one.

How about they stop wasting time and money and use it for something useful like finding out of myrtle rust has any pathogens that could be imported from its source countries. Of course that should have been done seven years ago but better late than never. Scientists warned that this would happen and the preparation and preparedness is an embarrassment.

• Like 4

They're not too popular in the South at the moment, either, what with oyster farmers being forced to pull up and dump oysters that are perfectly fit for human consumption. If they couldn't stop bonamia getting to Stewart Island from Nelson, how do they think they will stop it getting into the Bluff oysters?

I'm pretty sure I saw news item a few months back when kaikoura earth quakes struck,

MPI was requesting that locals did'nt return paua populations back to below the tide line after being up-heaved from quake,

as they had to consult with MPI scientists to understand how paua survived high and dry.

Dont know if I should laugh or cry. We fund these muppets

you can't ask all those questions, those are my questions :)

Suggest you give MPI's myrltle responce team a call and get more specific info than that they provided in e-mail.

These threads can get to be a bit of a cynical beauro beat up.

Using the apiary register to notify people potentially affected by spraying is a sensible and practical use for the register.

Publishing a map showing the area to be sprayed is also fine.

Publishing a map that appears to show apiarys sites is a huge breach of trust and an illegal use of the apiary register for which someone needs to be held accountable. If the map is what appears to be this would be the worst breach of the AFB PMS that I have ever heard of.

• Like 1

It certainly seems odd @john berry, even if it a years old example to simply denote the spray area I doubt it should be in the public arena in this form. It is private and commercially sensitive information that I think should be excluded even under the information act.

Looks like a foul up to me.

Looks like a foul up to me.

They are VERY good at them.....