Hobbyist, Semi-Commercial, Commercial

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a long thread and debate on this

but to me if your selling bee products your semi-commercial. if your getting the bulk of your income from selling bee products your full commercial.

Thanks tristan. Can you please tell me what the thread is under, I'm interested to know what others think of each category.

If you are on high UMF manuka honey you need a whole lot less hives to make the same money that you would if you were on honeydew so hive numbers isn't as relevant as it once was.

Totally of subject but where's @Daley

i met her and her mum at the MPI meeting in Gisborne, they are lovely, sorry @frazzledfozzle dunno where she is at the moment, maybe more sensible thatn some of us and having a holiday

As a hobbyist or semi commercial you will more than likely be making a living out side of beekeeping.

Yep, having two pensions for myself is good and some bee money left over from expenses is good.

But relying on bee income for food is probably not to be recommended, as some years would be hungry.

• Like 3

To me it's the same as any other activity, from stamp collecting to fishing to beekeeping to goat farming. If you make a living from it you are commercial, if you make a side income, but enough to declare to ird you are semi commercial, less than that it is a hobby.

But eod it's just words.

Here I am Frazz.

And I agree with everyone else, if that's how you make your money it's your job and that makes you commercial.

It's pretty subjective.

I'm commercial, most people would probably say I'm semi commercial coz I'm broke and should really get a job but I have no intention of doing that haha

• Like 3
Here I am Frazz.

And I agree with everyone else, if that's how you make your money it's your job and that makes you commercial.

It's pretty subjective.

I'm commercial, most people would probably say I'm semi commercial coz I'm broke and should really get a job but I have no intention of doing that haha

Good to see you back Daley. Why should you give up something you have a passion for and get a job purely for the money - I know having money makes life an awful lot easier, but often it doesn't always birngs the happiness that working with honey bees provides. :)

• Like 4