Propolis collection techniques

Does anyone have a technique on removing propolis from frames sides and top bar that is efficient and effective they are willing to share.

I used to flick it on the ground, but eventually it end up on my shoes then on the deck, then my socks and then carpet.

I have decided to try and save it, but struggle to hold a frame full of bee and scrape the propolis off the side bars without dropping the frame or having the propolis curl up and fall in the hive or on the ground.

Any tips would be great!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon NOT scraping the box rebate and frame end bars every inspection helps wax moth... I hate wax moth... I'm a scraper and drum into the apprentices early .. creating more scrapers... less wax mot

I scrape around the top rim of the top brood box and also the rim of the top board at least once a year but the only reason I do it is so that I get a good seal when feeding sugar. If you want to collect the propolis do it on a hot day and it will stick together a lot better. Scraping boxes in the shed is the complete opposite and I only do it on really cold mornings as then the propolis shatters nicely. It's worth collecting if you have to scrape it anyway but even at today's prices you won't see me scraping when I don't have to.

• Like 2
@HSV_Darren I have an old wire freezer shelf that fits upside down over a plastic fish bin. Scraping boxes I put the box on top and scrape everything to the centre. Frames are scraped while pushed against the exposed mid rib of the shelf. A bit hard to describe but at the end of a session I end up with an inch or so of propolis in the bottom of the fish bin. That goes into ice cream containers and into the freezer.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot of my propolis is from scraping tops of frames and it has a low propolis percentage but still well worth sending in. I don't know if wax moth eat propolis or not but I am sure my buyer doesn't want sacks full of propolis plus wax moth crap.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I recon NOT scraping the box rebate and frame end bars every inspection helps wax moth... I hate wax moth... I'm a scraper and drum into the apprentices early .. creating more scrapers... less wax moth.. happy me. 

And a nice tidy bee space. 

• Agree 1