Cyathea

Best supplier for wax?

Well, you are either interested, or you are not...

It is a very short piece, you only need to read the part titled "Replaces clause 7.2" (aboout 10 lines)

You are busy refuting whatever I am saying, and when I ask you to clarify something I found, suddenly you are too busy, OK then.

MPI is fine with refined beeswax coming into Nz...... just looked it up on their website. No laws being broken at all. Chinese beeswax is probably all around the place.

The only specification being that it must be accompanied by a manufacturers declaration that the was has been heated to at least 60 degrees C for at least 2 hours and clarified.

I guess it is up to the consumer to decide if they are going to believe the declaration coming out of China, as of course it is a very corrupt country...

Well, lots learned today, by researching, not from hysterical forum members... :rolleyes:

Yeh , you just listen to a bunch of civil servants (MPI) listen to some guy out to make a buck from some company, Dont use you own brain, Save some money and if its legal its OK because ambulance at bottom of cliff (MPI) will sort it out.

Not trying to be Offensive or Hysterical just expressing my opinion on this subject.

I hope good sense prevails, and you dont just go down this road because its legally exceptable.

weak. why not? no offence intended, but "don't worry, i'll make sure they're reported" doesn't sound that plausible to people that don't know you.

if they're offering an illegal service then why not spread the word far and wide?

I will make sure it's reported.... I know Cyathea and her employer. If she says she didn't know.....then she didn't know.....but sure as eggs she does now.

• Like 1

Sooooooo........ getting back to my original question, who IS there in NZ to get wax off (NZ wax.... not chinese wax... )

Well, you are either interested, or you are not...

It is a very short piece, you only need to read the part titled "Replaces clause 7.2" (aboout 10 lines)

You are busy refuting whatever I am saying, and when I ask you to clarify something I found, suddenly you are too busy, OK then.

oh settle, Gretel.

You didn't point to a clause, you pointed to a whole document - one which, as I said, I haven't got a context for, and you didn't ask a specific question - or at least didn't link that doc to your previous post. There's no obvious date on the document except as you note their filing code suggests 2014. I can't tell you whether it's the most current version/amendment or not without spending more time than I have on it right now.

As to the clause you reference, those Pacific dependencies have always enjoyed a special status. not one most of us are probably happy about or support, but there it is nonetheless.

Sooooooo........ getting back to my original question, who IS there in NZ to get wax off (NZ wax.... not chinese wax... )

Well...NZ history of wax as I know it....Ecroyds of yesteryear came up with the first weed system in the country. They sold it to the now NZ BEESWAX and are now stuck having to buy all their wax back from NZ BEESWAX. That would tick you off wouldn't it.... they last year because of unprecedented demand brought more machines in from Australia to help with the demand. They filter the wax beautifullyal through diatomaceous earth.....that's crustaceans fossilized and crushed up....then there's ceracell....and ...sorry....their foundation colour shows they can't purify it anywhere near as well as NZB.....Don't know anyone else. But Cyathea is after blocks for plastic frames not foundation.

Yeah well this forum drives me up the wall when it gets on it's high horse. No wonder there are 'underground' happenings in the beekeeping industry, when genuine questions get hammered into the ground, and baseless accusations thrown around.

the doc I linked to was a whole 2 page letter, djc, not something with 1008 pages....

and I wasn't interested in the pacific countries, it was the 'all other countries' I was referring to, as China obviously is not part of those named pacific countries.

A number of people on this forum (I think some have even posted in this thread that they have stockpiles that they are holding back because the like sof NZ bees are not paying enough for wax given the current climate. Ultimately I would encourage you to only expand with what your bees can make. However that is easier said than done when you have your honey extracted somewhere that does not give you back cappings wax. Part of my varroa monitoring program is drone culling-partly because I like the speed of it (was was WAY faster than a sugar shake) but also because it gives me some extra wax supply coming in. This next season I will do some maths around how much wax I am actually getting from it.

A number of people on this forum (I think some have even posted in this thread that they have stockpiles that they are holding back because the like sof NZ bees are not paying enough for wax given the current climate. Ultimately I would encourage you to only expand with what your bees can make. However that is easier said than done when you have your honey extracted somewhere that does not give you back cappings wax. Part of my varroa monitoring program is drone culling-partly because I like the speed of it (was was WAY faster than a sugar shake) but also because it gives me some extra wax supply coming in. This next season I will do some maths around how much wax I am actually getting from it.

I too have a drone frame that I cut out from Xmas time till they stop drawing it.

I figured the small amount of wax and large amount of brood mixed in and the need to process almost daily before it goes rotten ....I just burn it in a hot fire or once the fire ban is on I bury it deep in my garden. Surely you don't get much out of it.

Yeah well this forum drives me up the wall when it gets on it's high horse. No wonder there are 'underground' happenings in the beekeeping industry, when genuine questions get hammered into the ground, and baseless accusations thrown around.

the doc I linked to was a whole 2 page letter, djc, not something with 1008 pages....

and I wasn't interested in the pacific countries, it was the 'all other countries' I was referring to, as China obviously is not part of those named pacific countries.

Flick me a text Cyathea. I may have a name for you. I've lost your number somehow.

Flick me a text Cyathea. I may have a name for you. I've lost your number somehow.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated! Will get in touch tomorrow

I have 1/2 a tonne in the corner of my shed that I could be convinced to part with.

• Like 1

What the what now ?

Man if that's correct that's just asking for trouble

mpi are quite good at asking for trouble.

I too have a drone frame that I cut out from Xmas time till they stop drawing it.

I figured the small amount of wax and large amount of brood mixed in and the need to process almost daily before it goes rotten ....I just burn it in a hot fire or once the fire ban is on I bury it deep in my garden. Surely you don't get much out of it.

I put culled drone comb into my steamer, about $7 worth of LPG and an hour in the steamer will get me a 1kg block of reasonably clean wax. It takes about 15 minutes of my time so I consider it worth the effort.

I do not believe in public naming and shaming, if something illegal is happening, I will definitely report this company to the correct authority.

Yes please report them to MPI.

I feel your pain my wax gets pinched for MA's body balms and lip stuff. I am using more plastic this year

I hear a beekeeper that imported new super from china and new plactic frames

And the seller quote that if they heat the wax for new plactic to 60c for some they could be import

And then some told MPI and MPI rang the beekeeper and they told only boxes and unwax frames were aloud in

I hear a beekeeper that imported new super from china and new plactic frames

And the seller quote that if they heat the wax for new plactic to 60c for some they could be import

And then some told MPI and MPI rang the beekeeper and they told only boxes and unwax frames were aloud in

I think it is baddly worded-My impression is that used for non bee purposes can be heat treated and imported. Still very stupid.

I think it is baddly worded-My impression is that used for non bee purposes can be heat treated and imported. Still very stupid.

Absolutely. Wax is so recyclable, and the origin of it impossible to ascertain over time, terrible idea.

In fact, during the waxing of many thousands of wax frames, lots of different wax has been used by me, and all from different batches, different shapes and sized blocks. There is a lot currently being used that is dark yellow, ad when you smash it open smells quite bad. I wonder what it has in it. All of the other wax has smelled beautiful. Can the way it is rendered into blocks affect the way it smells? For example can it be burned slightly? I'd hate to be using wax with any nasty chemical contaminants in it. In light of 'chinesegate' maybe suspicious wax should be tested for non nz nasties, and maybe mpi should make testing of wax blocks imported a part of the process.

What things would come up in the wax if it were not heated to 60 degrees yada yada.

As a newbie on this site and a beginner beek, I thank you all for your opinions and advice, it certainly has been helpful, but I had to share a recent exercise in inquiring on Alibaba, about the quality of Chinese beeswax and was horrified to find out that they guarantee their beeswax is 80% pure!!! That says it all, for me....no mention of the other 20%!!

• Like 1

In fact, during the waxing of many thousands of wax frames, lots of different wax has been used by me, and all from different batches, different shapes and sized blocks. There is a lot currently being used that is dark yellow, ad when you smash it open smells quite bad. I wonder what it has in it. All of the other wax has smelled beautiful. Can the way it is rendered into blocks affect the way it smells? For example can it be burned slightly? I'd hate to be using wax with any nasty chemical contaminants in it. In light of 'chinesegate' maybe suspicious wax should be tested for non nz nasties, and maybe mpi should make testing of wax blocks imported a part of the process.

What things would come up in the wax if it were not heated to 60 degrees yada yada.

Hi the main risk is european foul brood. I also wouldn't trust cheap wax to have not been watered down with other waxes.

• Like 1

Hi the main risk is european foul brood. I also wouldn't trust cheap wax to have not been watered down with other waxes.

To my knowledge all the wax we have ever used to date has been our own wax rendered down, or that supplied only by nz beeswax, they are pretty trustworthy I take it??

To my knowledge all the wax we have ever used to date has been our own wax rendered down, or that supplied only by nz beeswax, they are pretty trustworthy I take it??

Yes. I have purchased their product in the past and haven't had issues. Going forward I want to be self sufficient (or buy direct from the producing beek)

• Like 1