New Treatment for Varroa

Here is finally some good news in the battle against Varroa. (Sarcasm)

A new product made in Austria has been approved for Beekeepers in Europe.

I just hope this stuff never makes it to NZ!

New product? Laughable!

It's what many Hobby Beekeepers have been doing for yonks in NZ, just not together but in succession and giving the bees a breather in between before knocking them out again!

It's a mix of Formic Acid and Oxalic Acid vaporised through the hive.

Bet we kiwis can come up with even worse Varroa Killers. How about putting strips of Apistan and Apivar in at the same time?

Here's a link to their website...

VarroMed®

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read, FA and OA work in different ways and are not similar products.

the link seems very vague and I read on another webpage it is dribbled on the bees.

I'm not keen on liquid dribble for either OA or FA. So, I wait for someone credible to test it.

this on Varromed press release

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Press_release/2016/10/WC500213813.pdf

"The effectiveness and safety of the product in the protection of honey bees against Varroa mites was tested in laboratory and field studies in different European climate conditions. VarroMed was effective in killing more than 80% of mites, which is below the effectiveness level of 90% recommended by the CVMP Varroa guideline. However, CVMP agreed that a lower level of 80% could be accepted when integrated Varroa control techniques are put in place. Repeated treatment of VarroMed might also result in increased bee mortality, and careful dosing is recommended to avoid overdosing. "

• 2 weeks later...

There is not much information about it, but it seems to be a liquid formulation to be used as a dribble.

"VARROMED is an easy to use liquid formulation that is directly applied onto the bees simplifying Varroa treatment." First Europe-wide approval of the New Varroa Treatment - VARROMED | Grantham Beekeepers

So I guess the advantage for beekeepers is that they don't have to make the oxalic acid dribble themselves. My guess is that the amount of formic acid there is probably very small.