• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2016 we produced an astonishing 19,885 tonnes of honey from around 64,000 hives.
I think I need to try harder, neither the hives that I manage as a day job or my own at home came close to that 312kg/hive my best average for a yard in '16 was only in the mid 60s kg/hive ...
I think I need to try harder, neither the hives that I manage as a day job or my own at home came close to that 312kg/hive my best average for a yard in '16 was only in the mid 60s kg/hive ...

How many full boxes would 312 kg be.

One strong hive among a commercial site and its sole job is to rob the honey.

You mean like growing the biggest pumpkin where you only leave one on the vine.

Do bee keepers have a tallest full hive competition ?

Some beehavers never have a bad season, never have AFB, never have a dead out.... And never tell the truth!

Most beekeepers I know have all the above and even occasionally tell the truth although we have had to become more careful who we tell the truth to.

• Like 2

Might be that 32% don't buy honey, at all.

Likely the survey listed a bunch of products and asked people if when buying them they choose the NZ one. So honey got ticked off in 68% of the cases due to poorly worded and worked survey.

The survey actually says

For many Kiwis – 67% – it is also important that the honey we buy is produced here in New Zealand.

I presume the other 33% wouldn't care if their honey was imported. So no suggestion of honey coming from anywhere else.

I read it as a survey taken to see if New Zealanders preferred to buy NZ honey over other honeys.

Which is a pointless question of course

Pointless unless it is the start of a scheme to promote import of overseas honey....

I read it as a survey taken to see if New Zealanders preferred to buy NZ honey over other honeys.

Nope it was a survey to compare consumer satisfaction with several honey producers.

Airborne, Mother Earth, Arataki, Comvita, Pams, Signature Range and Value were rated on taste, value for money, variety, packaging and overall satisfaction.