Deadly myrtle rust endangers manuka and pohutukawa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"Growing conditions in nurseries are seen as ideal for the fungus with many vulnerable young plants in sheltered, warm and damp environments."

And I imagine nurserymen are more likely than most to be keeping an eye out and recognising what they're seeing.

• Like 2
I was told today it's been found in two locations on great barrier. The horse may well have bolted on this one.

I expect it is in our area somewhere.

If it blows across the Tasman and is in Taranaki I can not see how it is not here .

But if it is we will not notice the extent till next summer when the temps increase into the zone the rust likes to grow in .

Find something and report it to MPI and the tendency is for them to close you down for the duration as happened with a possible EFB report a few years back. No compensation. As it is beekeepers in the myrtle rust affected areas have been asked not to move their hives. I can just see the corporate's obeying that one.

We are due to pick up about 800 native plants on Monday for riparian planting,just got a call from taranaki regional council and all plant pickups have been postponed for an undetermined time .

Suspension has come from mpi

Find something and report it to MPI and the tendency is for them to close you down for the duration as happened with a possible EFB report a few years back. No compensation. As it is beekeepers in the myrtle rust affected areas have been asked not to move their hives. I can just see the corporate's obeying that one.

I did not realise that hive movement was banned from infected areas.

Will that last until the whole country has rust

Will only be a few weeks either way.

What a pity! Stopping the great migrations (permanently)would solve a lot of problems in the industry and for the smaller beek! Imagine......permanent apiaries only.......might even be bye bye corporates and other encroachers!:whistle:

Further to my post #39 above about hebe's, I would be interested to see what groups of plants will not be affected by rust, and may have an important role to play in honey production in the future. I presume that clover is in this group ...

I'm sure we have people on the forum with this botanical info.

Thanks.