flash4cash

Deadly myrtle rust endangers manuka and pohutukawa

Old news

Yup its here already ! Has been found in a Kerikeri nursery . Todays herald had a write up about it . They seem to think it arrived on the wind , if true then one would expect it to be more established than just plants in a nursery .

What a bummer.

Yup its here already ! Has been found in a Kerikeri nursery . Todays herald had a write up about it . They seem to think it arrived on the wind , if true then one would expect it to be more established than just plants in a nursery .

Always going to be found somewhere the first time. Could be in the neighbouring nursery too that they'll find tomorrow? Wonder if that dirty Debbie brought it in?? (Cyclone Debbie).

Its always been a 'when' not 'if' scenario - the spores are too small and carried in the Jetstream.

I do not know that there is definite evidence that manuka and kanuka are in trouble - they are of the myrtaceous family.

Attached is a new fact sheet from MPI - worth a look at the photos and note the request NOT to take a possible infection sample

2017-Myrtle-Rust-Fact-Sheet-May-17.pdf

2017-Myrtle-Rust-Fact-Sheet-May-17.pdf

Oh dear ... this looks serious if we are advised to not move from the spot and phone for help to decontaminate ourselves.

Yes this will be a disaster if it spreads across country, it does affect many of the trees, bees forage on.

Lets hope it has been contained in the Kerikeri Area :(

Might this keep all the big bad beekeepers out of Northland for a season? If so, where would they go?

It might cause some problems via a whole series of unintended consequences and contracts.

If the rust jumps on to kumara and dope plants the northland economy might struggle.

Regarding a GIA, imagine how much money they could waste and still achieve nothing..

If O'Connor doesn't know if there is a GIA or not, then he's not much use is he?

Forest and Bird says there needs to be a swift response, but what does that mean, do we start looking for new planets in a far off galaxy? Maybe we move all our iconic species to a place where all the hot air comes from so that the rust can't penetrate.

Imagine if we had signed a GIA we would all be digging around in our wallets for the money MPI would demand of us to "fight" the incursion.

Off the back of a very poor season it would have been a business breaker for some of us.

I remember all too well the money involved in the varroa eradication attempt I would never trust a govt department to spend my hard earned money wisely

• Like 1

It is slightly sad to know that others will now be going though what the kiwifruit industry has been through. Hopefully once we are out of northland the weather conditions will not be as ideal for it and the plants can fight it off....

It is slightly sad to know that others will now be going though what the kiwifruit industry has been through. Hopefully once we are out of northland the weather conditions will not be as ideal for it and the plants can fight it off....

One of the articles I read had opinions from a Northland nursery man who said the queensland plants had taken a hit but resistant strains had emerged and there was a recovery happening.

I would expect the same thing here.

I would foresee bigger problems in areas where the myrtle was under pressure from constant predation. Not a problem for Manuka but rata and pohutukawa could take a big hit .

Especially if animals did not like the taste of the rust and only ate the unaffected leaves .

Or best case they ate the rust leaves .

Especially if animals did not like the taste of the rust and only ate the unaffected leaves .

What animals in New Zealand eat Manuka.

I think the suggestion was that Manuka wouldn't be affected.

Not a problem for Manuka but rata and pohutukawa could take a big hit .

I think the suggestion was that Manuka wouldn't be affected.

only ate the unaffected leaves

I don't see that is the suggestion. Maybe you read another post. Or maybe it is just Monday'itis

I don't see that is the suggestion. Maybe you read another post. Or maybe it is just Monday'itis

Nothing eats Manuka that's why it won't be stressed by being constantly eaten if it gets rust.

But if a rata or pohutukawa is affected by rust and is constantly under pressure from being grazed upon by possums it will succumb to disease quickly.

Possums eat the new growth by preference so rust and possums could defoliate a tree pretty quickly .

I live in an area with lots of rata and TB controlhave eliminated the possums from the area and I can see a difference in the forest.

Esp in the new growth .

Mondayitis on a Sunday must be particularly troubling.

You need to read that bit in context.

Not a problem for Manuka but rata and pohutukawa could take a big hit .

I think it's you that has the mondayitis @Trevor Gillbanks !

Mondayitis on a Sunday must be particularly troubling.

Obviously no one is getting my dig. so no matter.

Nothing eats Manuka that's why it won't be stressed by being constantly eaten if it gets rust.

But if a rata or pohutukawa is affected by rust and is constantly under pressure from being grazed upon by possums it will succumb to disease quickly.

Possums eat the new growth by preference so rust and possums could defoliate a tree pretty quickly .

I live in an area with lots of rata and TB controlhave eliminated the possums from the area and I can see a difference in the forest.

Esp in the new growth .

These two beasties love Manuka. Sometimes to the point of stripping a plant of all its foliage.

T.E.R:R.A.I.N - Taranaki Educational Resource: Research, Analysis and Information Network - Beetle (Chafer) (Manuka) Pyronota festiva

Obviously no one is getting my dig. so no matter.

I still don't get it :(

Neither did I.

Must be all that Gusathion we ingested as kids

Me either. Perhaps it's a Palmerston North thing.

These two beasties love Manuka. Sometimes to the point of stripping a plant of all its foliage.

T.E.R:R.A.I.N - Taranaki Educational Resource: Research, Analysis and Information Network - Beetle (Chafer) (Manuka) Pyronota festiva

You are right , I was thinking of mammals.

I occasionally see those beetles here but not as many as I used to see around Nelson lakes national parks.