AFB not anonymous

Good point I cannot answer for the powers that be. My suggestion in the other post was doing more honey testing and presumably acting on it where appropriate, would be another tool in the box.

When talking a while back it was pointed out that by the time a honey hits the supermarket shelf it may be very blended, rendering such testing pointless. Maybe could be tested when tutin is tested or something like that. But beekeepers would have to see it as a tool to help them rather than another thing to be afraid of, such a scheme would only work with beekeeper support. It would also cost. But, burning hives that did not have to get infected costs too.

I heard a figure bandied around that a million dollars worth of hives were burned last year. But don't know on what that number was based but sounds conceivable.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a figure bandied around that a million dollars worth of hives were burned last year. But don't know on what that number was based but sounds conceivable.

The way some are valuing their hives (media reporting) that could be surprisingly few hives burnt.

I believe AFB is largely a commercial beekeepers disease. When Mark Goodwin did his research around risk factors for AFB, feral colonies (thought by many to be a major problem for AFB spread) were found to be a negligible risk factor. I think that a single hive belonging to a hobbiest that is kept in isolation from other hives (with respect to hive ware movement) is not really any different to a feral colony in a tree somewhere and does not pose that much risk.

Your second point - recognition issues and technique issues are very much beekeeper issues so fits very well under the beekeeper's disease umbrella yes.

While there are more commercials. All it takes is a swarm to find an AFB dead wild hive to create a newly infected hive.

Some bees are quite resistant, so can develop into a fully fledged hive.

Also imagine a hobbyist, his hive(s) die, oh well, buy some more bees, put them in same hive :what: Doesn't sterilise any equipment!

Commercials, perhaps they are spread wide, or just have too many hives to check every two weeks. And AFB kills off hives before they even know what infection is (oh it was just that storm/2 weeks of rain, etc).

There are many factors that could contribute to it's spread.

Dog inspections of hives, seems like the logical choice.

Have one Dog inspector for each area. They also certify hives AFB-Free for sale.

• Like 1
While there are more commercials. All it takes is a swarm to find an AFB dead wild hive to create a newly infected hive.

Some bees are quite resistant, so can develop into a fully fledged hive.

Also imagine a hobbyist, his hive(s) die, oh well, buy some more bees, put them in same hive :what: Doesn't sterilise any equipment!

Commercials, perhaps they are spread wide, or just have too many hives to check every two weeks. And AFB kills off hives before they even know what infection is (oh it was just that storm/2 weeks of rain, etc).

There are many factors that could contribute to it's spread.

Dog inspections of hives, seems like the logical choice.

Have one Dog inspector for each area. They also certify hives AFB-Free for sale.

afb doesn't kill a hive in 2 weeks.

something you might know if you knew what your talking about.

this is why beginners are limited to burning hives.

Well, it doesn't kill a healthy hive in 2 weeks but it could easily kill one that was already sick.

If the hive was to starve and the beekeeper was to incorrectly presume it was only starvation.

Then yep it could kill in 2 weeks, and that's what scares me. They reuse that gear and make splits with it and spread it all around.

Basically our best defence is isolation and with the way people seem to like to crowd areas that are already taken, that's going out the window.

Well, it doesn't kill a healthy hive in 2 weeks but it could easily kill one that was already sick.

its the other way around and its very important trap to be aware of.

afb won't kill it that quick but other things may, including starving a hive.

one of the old rules is to not let the hive die.

the big problem these days is mite control. hive dies from mites but has afb hidden in the back ground.

I stand corrected. Was just reading a report of a hobbyist that checked their hive after two weeks and it was AFB infected, made the wrong correlation that it was dead (they had to burn).

its the other way around and its very important trap to be aware of.

afb won't kill it that quick but other things may, including starving a hive.

one of the old rules is to not let the hive die.

the big problem these days is mite control. hive dies from mites but has afb hidden in the back ground.

A dog check on dead hives would be a good solution to this.

• Like 1
and @QueenMaster thinks thats funny. thats says it all really. how sad :(

Here is what I thought was funny in bold:

The afb website has some hilarious quotes:

Care needs to be taken in siting wax dippers. One beekeeper had his dipper several metres from a tin shed where he kept supers. The wax boiled over, caught fire, and then ran under the wall of the shed. A lot more supers were sterilised than he had intended.

In another example a group of beekeepers learnt the hard way that petrol vapours are heavier than air. They had over 100 hives to burn. They got a digger to dig a deep hole, then spent the day killing hives with petrol and dropping them in the hole. By the evening they had finished, laid a petrol trail to the hives and pit, and lit it. What they didn’t realise was that by this time petrol fumes had completely filled the pit. The resulting explosion was heard kilometres away and burning AFB frames were thrown hundreds of metres. Luckily nobody was hurt.

• Like 1
When you directly insult people they don't tend to like it. Maybe it's a good thing he saw the funny side.

yet they insult us all when they come onto the forum trying to get us to justify whatever illegal stupid thing they intend to do.

• Like 1
yet they insult us all when they come onto the forum trying to get us to justify whatever illegal stupid thing they intend to do.

Yes. But an angry response to something isn't the right one, your more likely to scare people off.

There's always a nice way to tell someone they had a stupid idea rather then come straight out with it.

• Like 2
Yes. But an angry response to something isn't the right one, your more likely to scare people off.

There's always a nice way to tell someone they had a stupid idea rather then come straight out with it.

no point being nice when they display the signs of being ........

At least he says what he means and doesn't beat about the bush trying to sweeten it up for any precious poppets who might be offended. :)

To a point. But if people genuinely don't know things then you don't want them to be too scared to ask.

We actually need people to say things out loud that are wrong and they need to be corrected, it doesn't have to be done in a nasty way

• Like 1
To a point. But if people genuinely don't know things then you don't want them to be too scared to ask.

We actually need people to say things out loud that are wrong and they need to be corrected, it doesn't have to be done in a nasty way

daley i've been on forums a very long time, i usually pick out when they are just beginners and when they are just looking for someone to give them the answer they want. they already know the answer, they just want someone to ok it even when its completely wrong.

my replies are not always for the posters benefit ;)

• Like 2