Beerad

What to do in Autumn?

Hey folks,

A few weeks ago I applied my varoa treatments to 3 hives. In recent weeks I've noticed one of the hives has been very quiet so I opened it up today. I found an almost empty hive, no queen and no brood. I do not believe there was any chance of me squishing the queen when I placed the treatment in the hives. And my observations today were that there were no signs indicating disease. So I'm baffled.

I have placed two frames of brood from donor hives into it today on the off chance I may be able to find a mated queen to place in there; but this is probably unlikely.

Am I better off to let the hive fail. Wrap it up for the winter and start all over again in spring with some some donor frames? Or does anybody else have any other possible solutions?

Make a split in the spring.

Shake all the bees out and the remove the hive. Let any bees go into the other hives.

Make a split in the spring.

Shake all the bees out and the remove the hive. Let any bees go into the other hives.

Currently, the hive is full of honey. Should I leave that in the hive? Will it keep fine if I wrap the hive in cling wrap?

@Beerad which treatment did you use? How many frames of bees is "almost empty"?

Bavoral (sp?) mate. The hive is 2 brood boxes deep. There would not have been enough bees to fully cover 1 frame roughly.

However, as mentioned, I did add two frames of brood and nurse bees today.

Bavoral (sp?) mate. The hive is 2 brood boxes deep. There would not have been enough bees to fully cover 1 frame roughly.

However, as mentioned, I did add two frames of brood and nurse bees today.

Harvest the honey and merge the bees with another hive as suggested by @Trevor Gillbanks.