Deon

NZBF Being robbed

Hi all,

This morning noticed a lot of bee activity around similar to when I fed our hive wets ( feeding frenzy is the best I can liken it too)

I Went up on the roof ( hive location) found a lot of bees fighting, trying to get in everywhere including top vents, a lit of high pitched buzzing. Not sure how many had been getting in. I had to go ( coastguard job) my wife through a wet blanket over the hive until I got back a couple of hours later.

So our hive is one of those plastic technosetbee hives with the reversible entrance guards. One of the two I had already put into the closed/vent position back in Jan.

I took the open guard and drilled two holes at 7mm in the closed/vent side. I put this in place thinking my bees should be able to defend this small 2 hole entrance.

Is this enough to stop the robbing?

Is the two 7mm holes enough?

Will drones fit through 7mm?

Point to note is that when I got home the activity had much reduced and buzzing more normal. There was still I believe a lot of bees that weren't ours around under the blanket looking for the entrance. I think the wet blanket helped.

The bees had about 10 frames of honey stores so should be still hopefully stocked for winter, due to go in next weekend to move bayvarol strips will assess then.

Hi all,

This morning noticed a lot of bee activity around similar to when I fed our hive wets ( feeding frenzy is the best I can liken it too)

I Went up on the roof ( hive location) found a lot of bees fighting, trying to get in everywhere including top vents, a lit of high pitched buzzing. Not sure how many had been getting in. I had to go ( coastguard job) my wife through a wet blanket over the hive until I got back a couple of hours later.

So our hive is one of those plastic technosetbee hives with the reversible entrance guards. One of the two I had already put into the closed/vent position back in Jan.

I took the open guard and drilled two holes at 7mm in the closed/vent side. I put this in place thinking my bees should be able to defend this small 2 hole entrance.

Is this enough to stop the robbing?

Is the two 7mm holes enough?

Will drones fit through 7mm?

Point to note is that when I got home the activity had much reduced and buzzing more normal. There was still I believe a lot of bees that weren't ours around under the blanket looking for the entrance. I think the wet blanket helped.

The bees had about 10 frames of honey stores so should be still hopefully stocked for winter, due to go in next weekend to move bayvarol strips will assess then.

If you have a strong hive it can defend quite a big entrance .

If your hive is small or weak even a one bee size entrance will not stop your bees being rolled by robbers if they have an idea there's 10 frames of honey in there.

If you have a strong hive it can defend quite a big entrance .

If your hive is small or weak even a one bee size entrance will not stop your bees being rolled by robbers if they have an idea there's 10 frames of honey in there.

I think the hive is strong, but I'm not experienced enough to place any value in my own opinion of hive strength.

I can assume that some robbers had got through to tell their mates about what they found.

Will the robbing bees give up if they aren't having much luck?

Yes they will give up when they have stripped all the honey from your hive.

You can move the hive.

If it's one of your hives robbing I found swapping them worked well..

Opening the entrances for a couple of hours in the morning and keeping them closed for the rest of the day .

I moved my constantly robbed hive a couple of days ago .

If they get robbed you need to feed them and if you feed them the bees smell it and you get robbed

It's tricky

I reduced my entrance to 19x10... this definitely reduced the number of robbing bees. Wasps are still an issue though, they definitely aren't giving up.

Had a look today, bee population looks good with stores looking in tact.

Not sure if I should reopen entrance from the two 7mm holes they current have.

There is some bearding on the front of the hive I'm guessing might from the reduced entrance?

I tried to add a video, but even after cropping to 4 seconds file was too large.

Had a look today, bee population looks good with stores looking in tact.

Not sure if I should reopen entrance from the two 7mm holes they current have.

There is some bearding on the front of the hive I'm guessing might from the reduced entrance?

I tried to add a video, but even after cropping to 4 seconds file was too large.

Maybe open it a little more.

Be careful reducing your entrance too much, it's unlikely to be a problem when it's cooler but they can smother if it gets too hot, of course it's not an issue if you don't have a solid base or if they are getting other ventilation.

Robbing can be pretty gnarly, once it's started it's very hard to stop, good job with the wet blanket, it's not as much of a problem once most of the summer foragers have died.

Set up a jam trap for the wasps, they seem to be able to rob in cooler weather then bees, I've pulled up to yards early in the morning and could've been fooled into thinking I had wasp hives.