i was out in the garden today and noticed a lot of wasps flying around. There were none going into my beehive but the bees were very active today. Lots of bees flying in and out and flying around the entrance. Looked like about 1 in 3 were bringing back pollen.

Two questions.

Does a beehive attract wasps? (I have never seen so many wasps in our garden before. This is first year with a beehive)

Can you visually tell if bees are bringing back nectar? Just wondering what the ones without pollen are bringing back.

Yes, a beehive attracts wasps. When they are looking for something sweet, they will try to rob your hive and can kill it in extreme cases. It's something to be careful of.

Wasps love beehives, from about early March till late April they are attacking your bees for protein, murdering them, cutting them up for protein to feed there hive/nest, then they switch to sweet mode after April and try to steal the honey. If your hive is weak (you can judge that by looking at the number of bees at your entrance) and there numbers are strong you could end up with your hives honey being robbed.

Its best if you have not done so putting a hive entrance reducer on. There are various methods of wasp traps you can get from Mitre 10, the poison Vespex is best but its too late in the season to use that given it uses the protein part of the wasp cycle to attract them and you have to be a approved user of it.

How many was alot of wasps? 1-2 i would not be worried too much about..

I wouldn't be saying its too late for vespex. Last year One site was covered in wasps, they killed off one hive and I put out the vespex and boy were they into it in mid June. Went back the next day and I didn't see one wasp, it was amazing. Vespex is a great tool.

• Like 1

Wasps love beehives, from about early March till late April they are attacking your bees for protein, murdering them, cutting them up for protein to feed there hive/nest, then they switch to sweet mode after April and try to steal the honey. If your hive is weak (you can judge that by looking at the number of bees at your entrance) and there numbers are strong you could end up with your hives honey being robbed.

Its best if you have not done so putting a hive entrance reducer on. There are various methods of wasp traps you can get from Mitre 10, the poison Vespex is best but its too late in the season to use that given it uses the protein part of the wasp cycle to attract them and you have to be a approved user of it.

How many was alot of wasps? 1-2 i would not be worried too much about..

There were 40-50 wasps flying around the garden. I think they were paper wasps as the legs were hanging down when they were flying. The hive itself is quite strong I think. There have been heaps of bees flying in and out and constantly 10-20 bees flying around outside the hive entrance. They still seem to be bringing in plenty of pollen as well.

I have heaps of wasps at the moment, in the Waitakeres, and have a bait trap out with fermenting honey, yeast and water. There is a post re this if you search for wasp traps. In the first 2 days it trapped about a 6-8cm depth of wasps in a 1.5 litre soda bottle, with top cut off and inverted back into the bottle. Unfortunately the odd bee as well, but tons and tons of wasps. I also have a 3:1 water to dish washing liquid mix in a small hand held pressurised spray, which i spray the wasps in the grass infront of the hive with and any airborne ones that are clear of the bees... They hate it, it either takes them down and they can't fly again, or they fly off.

I have heaps of wasps at the moment, in the Waitakeres, and have a bait trap out with fermenting honey, yeast and water. There is a post re this if you search for wasp traps. In the first 2 days it trapped about a 6-8cm depth of wasps in a 1.5 litre soda bottle, with top cut off and inverted back into the bottle. Unfortunately the odd bee as well, but tons and tons of wasps. I also have a 3:1 water to dish washing liquid mix in a small hand held pressurised spray, which i spray the wasps in the grass infront of the hive with and any airborne ones that are clear of the bees... They hate it, it either takes them down and they can't fly again, or they fly off.

,,,Also meant to add, I have the hive entrances reduced to 19x0 and this seems to have made the robbing bees lose interest.

I used to have hives in Oratia many moons ago and my number one problem was wasps.

If you put a bit of raw meat , mince etc in the mix the bees never go near it

Don't use honey in your wasp traps bro, use Jam, you don't want any bees to go in there.

Water, jam, a spot of dishwash and a dash of vinegar.

We have also had a big problem with wasps in the Waitakere's they have managed to kill one of my weaker hives, but put lots of wasp traps with a mixture of cat food, vinegar, sugar and juice. They are all full of wasps, still plenty more around though

• Like 1