Help, what has gone wrong :(

Hi everyone,

Went to check my hives today following all the horrible weather only to find one in a terrible way. There were hundreds of dead bees at the entrance, on looking inside more of the same the bottom is full of dead bees. I had a look at the frames and other than having hardly any bees on them and no queen nothing stood out to me. Some of the cappings have been chewed through but I did the roping test on a few of the cells all with nothing to note. I've taken a couple of pictures to see if any of you have any ideas.

I did check this hive only two weeks ago and all looked good.

I did use oxalic acid on this hive last weekend but used it on all my other hives too they all seem ok. Surely that couldn't have caused this ?

Thank youDSC_0613.JPG.9a0287b0ff59b885d885d1af13e607a7.JPG

DSC_0612.JPG.74475cb17c4976599661800110f0094f.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG.1f2e95a38026e0e13f2aed445bbea7d6.JPG

DSC_0612.JPG.74475cb17c4976599661800110f0094f.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG.9a0287b0ff59b885d885d1af13e607a7.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG.1f2e95a38026e0e13f2aed445bbea7d6.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Tudor - feed immediately. Make up some 2-1 sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Check in a couple of days.

If there is no queen, put the box on a strong hive with a sheet of newpaper in between the two boxes. Put a couple of slits in the newspaper with your hive tool to assist with the merging. Once merged, hopefully they are all happy (well fed) bees.:)

keep in mind the strength of the hive.

it will be fairly weak by now and even with it well fed may not recover. feeding may trigger robbing which will finish it off.

do i see foundation frames in the back?

considering all the new wax i suspect it wasn't a full strength hive to start with.

the mistake is more than likely the beek didn't check the amount of stores and feed where required.

Don't bother feeding. Too late. Colony too small to overwinter and if Queeny is gone there's no hope anyway. Unite with stronger hive with newspaper. In a couple of days go in and put that frame of brood down with the other brood and take that extra empty box off so the bees don't have to warm it over winter. Feed all other hives till they are 75 % full. That will leave them some empty comb to cluster on in the middle. Make sure your Varroa treatments worked by testing ......don't assume.

looked at 4 of my hives today and noticed a big decline in the stores at least 3 to 4 frames emptied god they are only one box hives as well so not much left for them to go forward ,could it be because of the ####e weather we have had that made them eat? To me the hives look strong and have h/d bottoms on so entrance is well guarded.

Markis. Yes. Crappy weather lowers their food reserves quite quickly. Especially when there's brood to feed. Get yourself a feeder and keep them topped up. You say it's a single box hive. If you use a top feeder don't fill it right up. There's not enough bees to take it down quickly and the surface area of all that let's off so much sweet smell there's more likely hood of robbing. Use a 2 frame feeder instead. Remove a couple of those empty frames. Put some bracken fern or similar in the feeder to reduce drowning. How much bracken. As much as you think is right then double it. 2 white sugar 1 water mix well with heat. Feed when cooled.

Markis. Yes. Crappy weather lowers their food reserves quite quickly. Especially when there's brood to feed. Get yourself a feeder and keep them topped up. You say it's a single box hive. If you use a top feeder don't fill it right up. There's not enough bees to take it down quickly and the surface area of all that let's off so much sweet smell there's more likely hood of robbing. Use a 2 frame feeder instead. Remove a couple of those empty frames. Put some bracken fern or similar in the feeder to reduce drowning. How much bracken. As much as you think is right then double it. 2 white sugar 1 water mix well with heat. Feed when cooled.

Thanks Mike I did what you have said straight away but I have only a 1 frame feeder so for now thats it. My mistake was not putting it in 2 weeks ago so a big lesson has been learnt . Things can change very fast!!

Thanks Mike I did what you have said straight away but I have only a 1 frame feeder so for now thats it. My mistake was not putting it in 2 weeks ago so a big lesson has been learnt . Things can change very fast!!

Yes. It's a steep learning curve. A single feeder is fine. Just visit it more often. A 2 frame I find is ideal. There's enough feed for the remaining 7 or 8 frames of bees and they have enough space to work through winter in a cozy little cavity. A 3 frame feeder is way too much feed for the number of bees that could be in the frames left. And unless they are starving to death there's no way they would have space to process and store all that much syrup. If it sits there too long there's problems with fermentation and Ants and robbing.

Yes. It's a steep learning curve. A single feeder is fine. Just visit it more often. A 2 frame I find is ideal. There's enough feed for the remaining 7 or 8 frames of bees and they have enough space to work through winter in a cozy little cavity. A 3 frame feeder is way too much feed for the number of bees that could be in the frames left. And unless they are starving to death there's no way they would have space to process and store all that much syrup. If it sits there too long there's problems with fermentation and Ants and robbing.

I dont think there's 7 frames of honey left more like 1 or 2 . Will they store the syrup im giving them?

I dont think there's 7 frames of honey left more like 1 or 2 . Will they store the syrup im giving them?

How many frames would be thickly covered with bees. How many frames if you put it all together is there of brood....open and capped counted the same. And you say 1 or 2 of honey. Or a photo or 2 be great next time.

Yes a photo would be great -)The hive is full of bees every frame has bees on it no dead bees , there was is a total of 9 frames one feeder which has just been sitting in there. brood is on 4 frames, Hive was buzzing, first frame was empty 2nd one was 80% empty, brood frames had honey on the outside of the brood now empty the rest were also light so probably only 2 frames in total have honey. this was the worse hive out of the four but the others are not far behind. But on the upside lots of pollen still there and they are still bringing lots in thanks to the gorse -)

• Like 1
Yes a photo would be great -)The hive is full of bees every frame has bees on it no dead bees , there was is a total of 9 frames one feeder which has just been sitting in there. brood is on 4 frames, Hive was buzzing, first frame was empty 2nd one was 80% empty, brood frames had honey on the outside of the brood now empty the rest were also light so probably only 2 frames in total have honey. this was the worse hive out of the four but the others are not far behind. But on the upside lots of pollen still there and they are still bringing lots in thanks to the gorse -)

Hayes that sounds better than I thought. Just give them a good feed and they should be sweet. Good to hear you have gorse handy for them. Otherwise a patty or 2 of megabee or feedbee helps now for a better spring build up. Builds up vitelogenin (protein) levels in the winter bees blood and come spring they can purge this back out for brood food. But Gorse is Great. Feed m up Markis. She be right

i'm assuming you've treated for varroa - if you're having to ask this post then oxalic acid doesn't count as treating. Iif not, get treatment strips in and cross your fingers. Make sure the hive entrance is super-reduced. feed 2:1 syrup. Cross your fingers.

Thank you everyone for your replies, on further inspection there is still the Queen in there so I put a feeder in as suggested only to see lots of wasps just happily going in through the entrance even though there's a robbing screen in place. I opened up the hive other than no bees at the feeder only wasps the other wasps were just picking bees off. So I have taken the frames of bees out put them into a nuc with a frame of honey from another hive and moved it away. What an awful situation, I noticed this morning the wasps are back trying to get into one of the other hives. All my hives have robbing screens on but I've reduced the entrances down to one or two bee spaces

• Like 1
Thank you everyone for your replies, on further inspection there is still the Queen in there so I put a feeder in as suggested only to see lots of wasps just happily going in through the entrance even though there's a robbing screen in place. I opened up the hive other than no bees at the feeder only wasps the other wasps were just picking bees off. So I have taken the frames of bees out put them into a nuc with a frame of honey from another hive and moved it away. What an awful situation, I noticed this morning the wasps are back trying to get into one of the other hives. All my hives have robbing screens on but I've reduced the entrances down to one or two bee spaces

You should look at getting some Vespex . Google it. Sit the online test and Nuke those Jolly wasps. They will pick your weakest hive again and again until you have none left. You have to tip the scales in favour of your bees.

I've just been looking at that thank you, yes they are already back trying to get into one of my hives :mad:.

You can swap positions of the one being robbed by wasps and your strongest hive if they're not too heavy to drag around. This way the wasps get more than they bargained on. It buys you a day or so while the wasp poison arrives. The wasps will pick up on it and look for another weaker hive

Morning @Mike Fox, are you having any luck with the wasps taking Vespex right now? Here they are shunning it in favour of anythink sweet the sods!

Good Morning Ali. I don't have any wasp problems at present. I nailed a few colony's earlier in the season with the old Carbaryl down their hole trick. Found out I react quite badly to German wasp venom too. May be too late for the Vespex as its a protein bait and they may be onto carbohydrates now for their Queen rearing plans.

You should look at getting some Vespex . Google it. Sit the online test and Nuke those Jolly wasps. They will pick your weakest hive again and again until you have none left. You have to tip the scales in favour of your bees.

Thank you did the test this morning waiting for my registration number now will then order some. In the waiting time I've put some wasp traps around the hives fingers crossed its enough.