dansar

Around the Apiary April 2017

I understand that, and the fact that that is also clearly in the instructions @yesbut

However experience last season tells me that the view that they chase protein in summer, sugar in autumn, and that's the end of it, is wrong. I had wasps eating vespex on and off all the way into winter last year, including one lot ripping into it in June - was all posted on here somewhere.

So I haven't given up yet, if they continue to be an issue I'll continue to put it out in the hope they get hungry for protein at some point.

Same here, I had a nuc wiped out, so took the frames out and put vespex in the nuc entrance and they took it all, they were chasing sugar or honey initially, but when I took that source away they were happy to take the vespex- hopefully it wipes them out because they have appeared in numbers suddenly

• Like 1

Catch a possum pluck it and put it near the hives say 20 metres away put some vespex on the possum the wasps will go crazy eating the possum and vespex . I have seen wasps eating a possum in a day lol

• Like 2

I dont like wasting good beer on wasps but anything brewed in aussie seems to work just fine;)

Drowning them in cheap beer, jam and water is working reasonably well here.

Those are working as protecting the rest of the hives, I just want to try and kill the nests before they spawn their next season queens

12 sites visited today. interventions as appropriate. wasn't raining too much.

• Like 2

This evening I was playing musical chairs with nucs which I want to end up in "Strawberry Patch" at my in-apiary. Three were placed away a fortnight ago as they were too close for a direct move. but came back today, and one from 200m away was moved away to migrate back in a fortnight.

So that will be 10 good nucs set up for winter on my doorstep so I can give them TLC over winter. And one contains my breeder queen who is 3 years old already, I'll keep her going and see how long she goes on before she is superseded. And that nuc is way ahead of all the others, may need to drop into a 3/4 box, will see. Its what I did with her in Feb last year, and she needed a 3 * 3/4 hive by winter time.

• Like 4

I moved some nucs to a town site for winter the other day. I got to the nucs at 0625, it was just starting to get light and was not cold. I went around the 16 nucs and put a bit of rolled newspaper in each hole and started to load up. Didn't take long at all. One of the last ones had 3 bees outside, each with big loads of a cream colour pollen. I was amazed, they must have headed out when it was near dark. I think maybe it's black nightshade pollen, there was lots of it around and the bees are often all over it.

I had a really good queen I'd hoped to get a third season from unfortunately she was superseded in August, a very nice looking queen was produced sadly no drones around :(

The bees are wise it will be interesting to see if she gets mated by drones you don't know about. Virgin queens will apparently fly long distances for action.

Please let us know.

thanks.

We were feeding nucs yesterday ahead of the rain. My husband learnt why it's not a good idea to go commando in your bee suit. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Early last August...:) she was making her own drones

Oops, sorry I thought that was now. Duh.

Thanks for being so polite ...

Oops, sorry I thought that was now. Duh.

Thanks for being so polite ...

No worries

Ive just had a rare visit to my face book page this post is pretty cool

The humble bumblebee

[MEDIA=facebook]668095786711521[/MEDIA]

Out at an apiary site this morning with a couple of guys doing some filming for their website. They wanted some footage of hives and inspections being done. Happy to oblige as I needed to check these hives and move treatment strips around where needed. Out of 16 hives all but a handful have gone on a brood break and the ones with some brood would be no more than 1 full side of capped brood. I interestingly there are still some drones in the hives but no drone brood so the boys are definitely on borrowed time.

Entrance reducers fit (strip of wood) as a few wasps were about, but not as numerous as previous years. Hives are strong and healthy so I am not too worried.

• Like 4

Today I checked my small hives that have been plagued by robbing. All these hives have really reduced entrances.

I fed them all and waited till the robbers were clustered underneath or on top around the feeder and I sprayed them with dazzle.

I then went over to my big hive in an area 50 metres away and waited .

a load of pink bees were soon flying in the entrance. I took the lid off and sure enough there was fresh nectar in hive.

One hive was really robbed with lots of dead bees so I moved the queen and bees into a nuc box with a feeder of syrup and a frame of honey.

The queen had stopped laying and I have shut down the entrance and will move the nuc.

I Am interested to see if she will start laying again when she is not being robbed But really I should just squish her and combine the hive. I will probably do that.

The other 2 single box hives seem to be holding their own and had some stores that were not robbed completely.

However they will need feeding through the winter unless I move them into the hakea

Today I checked my small hives that have been plagued by robbing. All these hives have really reduced entrances.

I fed them all and waited till the robbers were clustered underneath or on top around the feeder and I sprayed them with dazzle.

I then went over to my big hive in an area 50 metres away and waited .

a load of pink bees were soon flying in the entrance. I took the lid off and sure enough there was fresh nectar in hive.

One hive was really robbed with lots of dead bees so I moved the queen and bees into a nuc box with a feeder of syrup and a frame of honey.

The queen had stopped laying and I have shut down the entrance and will move the nuc.

I Am interested to see if she will start laying again when she is not being robbed But really I should just squish her and combine the hive. I will probably do that.

The other 2 single box hives seem to be holding their own and had some stores that were not robbed completely.

However they will need feeding through the winter unless I move them into the hakea

My nuc that I closed up a moved away with the robbers on board is thriving

The good thing is, the robbers are now part of that hive and are good foragers .

The nuc is the only hive there where I have put it

• Like 2

My nuc that I closed up a moved away with the robbers on board is thriving

The good thing is, the robbers are now part of that hive and are good foragers .

The nuc is the only hive there where I have put it

I think I will move the nuc. It's a hive doctor so I can close it off and it's easy to carry.

I will open it up today when it's covered in robbers , catch a few , and take it down the road

• Like 1

Observation skills

Daughter aka honey mouse...

is down from Auck for a few days

Mum do your bees have different marks?

No the hives all have the same number as it's one apiary.

No no the bees?

Oh yes, the Glams are golden,

the Parks are a dark bee and the Posts are amber with definite black strips.

Yep, I noticed lots of bees with those three colourings foraging on the yellow daisy. :);)

Been doing the rounds checking food levels, and most of my four frame nucs have gone into six frame boxes with a feeder and a good dollop Apifeed pollend substitute .( 2 kg rolls).

The bees are really getting into the Apifeed some nucs I gave it to last week have nearly eaten all they were given and we're happy to get more.

I dropped a crumb on a landing board this afternoon to the bees immediate liking...quite a sticky product to work with in its current form. 20170424_153341.jpg.a561407c26e44915bb6254dc2622b73b.jpg

20170424_153341.jpg.a561407c26e44915bb6254dc2622b73b.jpg

full inspection of home hive - two full depth boxes. Queen looked happy, brood area down to four frames - two per box - and still retreating, heaps of honey on but still a handful of frames for them to store in. Strips have been in a while and there is still a bit more dead mite drop onto the coreflute below the mesh base than I expect.

given that stores are increasing and dead mite drop is continuing i'm wondering whether my bees are feasting on the hard work of a poorly tended hive somewhere nearby...

Got a call tonight to say that tomorrow I'm having an AP2 do the exotic pest thing on the lonely hive I have left after the Big Crash and robbing that killed off the other two. Fingers crossed he doesn't find anything (no reason he should but . . .) or I will be a former beekeeper.

• Like 1

Got a call tonight to say that tomorrow I'm having an AP2 do the exotic pest thing on the lonely hive I have left after the Big Crash and robbing that killed off the other two. Fingers crossed he doesn't find anything (no reason he should but . . .) or I will be a former beekeeper.

It seems that forum members never have to worry about being hiveless former bee keepers.

Good luck :)

Got a call tonight to say that tomorrow I'm having an AP2 do the exotic pest thing

Yes. I also have the inspector coming today. 2 apiaries to do.