Couriered/Freighted Bees

Does anyone know of someone, or a company who couriers or freights live bees throughout New Zealand. There used to be someone in Hastings who used to do this, but they no longer do it, which is a shame as they offered a fantastic service (I think they retired) - nucs from Hastings to my door in Gore, Southland in 2-3 days was great.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vented 4 frame nuc boxes my own design block stacked up to 50 per pallett sent by refrigerated transport

Posted Images

Does anyone know of someone, or a company who couriers or freights live bees throughout New Zealand. There used to be someone in Hastings who used to do this, but they no longer do it, which is a shame as they offered a fantastic service (I think they retired) - nucs from Hastings to my door in Gore, Southland in 2-3 days was great.

I do it with NZ couriers but they demand 2 bee barriers.

A corflute box within another barrier.

Not easy.

Not a single bee is allowed to escape and they need a driver who isnt allergic.

Doing all this puts a nuc on the borderline of a 10kg parcel.

The corflute box requires modified vents for summer transport and I add a water supply

I do it with NZ couriers but they demand 2 bee barriers.

A corflute box within another barrier.

Not easy.

Not a single bee is allowed to escape and they need a driver who isnt allergic.

Doing all this puts a nuc on the borderline of a 10kg parcel.

The corflute box requires modified vents for summer transport and I add a water supply

I'm interested in buying, not selling. Four years ago, when I first started bee keeping, the bees I purchased from Hastings arrived in a wooden box (consisting of five FD frames). The box was lined with wind break fabric and the top was covered with a plastic mesh. The bees were fully contained - with no way of escaping. They were delivered by my usual courier driver without any problems.

If you can get bees locally it would be a good thing.

Bringing in bees from the north island means you are playing with the chance of resistant mites and nosema Ceranae

Thanks frazzledfozzle. Yes, I would prefer to get bees locally, but beekeepers down here are fairly well spaced out, many preferring not to sell bees, hanging on to what they've got. In saying that though, I'll still keep asking, hopefully I'll find a source eventually.

• Like 1
Hi @BeeGirl we have a few providers here who I know about, Otto Hyink, Murray Rixon and me, and posting on this forum my well get others to make themselves known. Availability can vary, as you know.

Regards.

Great. Please feel free to start a conversation with me to provide me with details of pricing, delivery etc. I look forward to hearing from you and anyone else that is able to help me out with reasonably priced nucs/hives.

• 3 years later...
  • Grant locked this topic