Mummzie

NZBF Contemplating conversion from FD to 3/4

@DuncanCook , throughout this forum are various thread describing how to know how much gear to buy, and unless you have already wildly over-invested, I would suggest you will be getting more gear soon. You do realise the hives, as well as the bees breed don't you?

I am seriously considering cutting my FD boxes down, and am contemplating cutting down the frames that are less than 2 years old. Has anyone done this? Any feedback/cautions please?

@DuncanCook , throughout this forum are various thread describing how to know how much gear to buy, and unless you have already wildly over-invested, I would suggest you will be getting more gear soon. You do realise the hives, as well as the bees breed don't you?

I am seriously considering cutting my FD boxes down, and am contemplating cutting down the frames that are less than 2 years old. Has anyone done this? Any feedback/cautions please?

Yes, I do it all the time. I am in the process of converting to 3/4. It is not difficult. just time consuming

Yes, I do it all the time. I am in the process of converting to 3/4. It is not difficult. just time consuming

do you replace the bottom bar?

I weighed one FD box today, 38.5kg

• Like 1

I weighed one FD box today, 38.5kg

Do you struggle to lift it

Haha don't you remember @Daley's tale of dragging a deer out of the bush. She probably had to put the other one down to weigh the single (y)

I think it's heavy but nope no struggle

I have noticed that old beeks have a team of young guys around them.

• Like 1

I have noticed that old beeks have a team of young guys around them.

That is called experience and cunning.

A

It can get messy if there is honey in the comb

Agreed, it is a messy yuck job. But it does not need to cost anything to convert to 3/4 boxes. other than time.

A

Agreed, it is a messy yuck job. But it does not need to cost anything to convert to 3/4 boxes. other than time.

Another video for you to make @Trevor Gillbanks - converting FD to 3/4 gear.

• Like 1

You can cut plastic frames too by the way, I know people who have, it weakens them a little bit though but it's probably ok they don't need as much integrity as a 3/4.

It can get messy if there is honey in the comb

It's simple to get the bees to do the work for you. Like removing the honey from the frames in a FD box you are improving to be 3/4 size.

Check page 10 of "Easy Bee keeping" in Resources.

I would do it over 10 years and simply cull old gear, once you have a decent stock of 3/4 frames drawn I would swap one site at a time.....

I don't anticipate too much trouble with the boxes, I bought 10 FD boxes complete with frames so 100 plastic frames to replace or convert. I tried a little experiment today, cut 55mm from the bottom of a frame and then glued the bottom section back on with silicone mastic which is inert once cured so should be ok.

P1010238.JPG.df5cf30d4b50aaf914a177398aee2b22.JPG

P1010239.JPG.2f0b7a6db190d7e9fe138047f278bbc5.JPG

P1010240.JPG.91c30034e54917915f501f811444ca4c.JPG

P1010238.JPG.df5cf30d4b50aaf914a177398aee2b22.JPG

P1010239.JPG.2f0b7a6db190d7e9fe138047f278bbc5.JPG

P1010240.JPG.91c30034e54917915f501f811444ca4c.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry I appear to have posted the pictures twice and when I hit edit they don't show up

Sorry I appear to have posted the pictures twice and when I hit edit they don't show up

Fixed it for you. When you hit edit, click more options, to get...well...more options, including the option to delete attachments (y)

A small caution. I have been experimenting with some different set ups and the only one that I haven't got on top of is 3/4 with 3/4 brood boxes. It was the only configuration that got away on me and swarmed. FD and 3/4 supers are standard but limiting if, like this year, there is a stop-start flow. You have to rely on the bees to empty the brood box of nectar to allow the queen to continue laying. With FD supers the BK can lift the frames and replace with empties from the hive. us mortals can unpack a 38kg super rather than going the full ACC.

3/4 with 3/4 brood boxes.

How many brood boxes ? Three should be plenty of space

How many brood boxes ? Three should be plenty of space

Started with one and a super. Got the second brood box on and lost them on the rewa rewa flow.

I'm now running that hive without an excluder.

Started with one and a super. Got the second brood box on and lost them on the rewa rewa flow.

So then it was your fault and not the equipment. Close but no cigars.:love:

So then it was your fault and not the equipment. Close but no cigars.:love:

Yes totally my fault:) what's your opinion of 3/4 brood box hives Trevor.

Yes totally my fault:) what's your opinion of 3/4 brood box hives Trevor.

As @M4tt said. 3 x 3/4 boxes for brood. That is slightly larger than 2 x FD boxes.

• Like 1